WhatsApp expected to be available on Windows Phone 8 within a matter of days

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Im not huge on it either, but I do use Viber messenger sometimes, but rarely nowadays since both me and my woman have practically unlimited SMS deals on our subs.

Though loads of people depend on this app, so Im glad its coming to WP8. If people DEMANDED a Fart-app in order to consider WP8, Id support that coming to WP8 as well.

snaqvi91

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure I must be missing something but I just don't understand the point of this app now that FB messenger is so prevalent.

The reason its so important is because when you have someone in your contact list, phone book whatever, and that person also has whatsapp then they get automatically added to your whatsapp friends list. More over most people have whatsapp so its the easiest way to instant message. Sure its buggy and crappy but the network effect plays a huge role. It works on pretty much all devices (except WP8 :p).

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The reason its so important is because when you have someone in your contact list, phone book whatever, and that person also has whatsapp then they get automatically added to your whatsapp friends list. More over most people have whatsapp so its the easiest way to instant message.

Sounds just like SMS.

That said, yay for a popular app coming to WP8. I had it on my iPhone, used it a bit, but just wound up texting anyone I could have IMed on WhatsApp. I'm sure I'll install it on my 820 (to support WP8 development) but I'm sure my peeps and I will just keep on texting. :)

snaqvi91

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
But I do hope that Facebook messenger gets more prevalent and people start using that instead of crappy whatsapp. It will solve a lot of the cross platform problem.

snaqvi91

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site

Sounds just like SMS.

That said, yay for a popular app coming to WP8. I had it on my iPhone, used it a bit, but just wound up texting anyone I could have IMed on WhatsApp. I'm sure I'll install it on my 820 (to support WP8 development) but I'm sure my peeps and I will just keep on texting. :)

Well I think its still popular because not everyone has unlimited texting or MMS packages while this is practically free. And also there's this impression that data based IM is faster than texting. I'm not sure if that's true or not but that's the impression a lot of people have?

anon(1019781)

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Well I think its still popular because not everyone has unlimited texting or MMS packages while this is practically free. And also there's this impression that data based IM is faster than texting. I'm not sure if that's true or not but that's the impression a lot of people have?
It's definitely faster than texting.

busngabb

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Whatsapp is great. You can share text, images, videos etc across platforms really quickly. Great for messaging people on new year when the UK networks all explode and set on fire.

Whatsapp also handles group conversations really well. You can have group conversations with your contacts, useful for the kids football and groups of friends. I know group texting is now starting to get to this level, but with whatsapp you don't need to worry about the network delay, its pretty much instant.

I have had it since it came out on Windows phone 8. Pretty buggy and was in need of bring patched. Its good to see the developers spotted this and have hopefully fixed it when its rereleased soon.

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Great news. But personally I don't think WhatsApp is the best sms alternative out there. If it wasn't for its number of users, I would recommend Line, WeChat, or Talkbox. Much faster/fun/nicer UI on WP in my opinion.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site

Sounds just like SMS.

not only is sms missing media, and not everyone has sms/mms plan, whatsapp has been great for me for my international contacts. No international charges.

Samir F

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
so its end of week and still not available on the Store :( hope it will come back verry soon! waiting now more then 2 Weeks of it...

Jastow

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Faster by a second depending on your connection speed? Maybe. My skype messaging always had considerable delay, but didn't care since it was free and was great when traveling internationally. I had fun with voxer, but only because you could send voice messages which can quickly become interesting. I'll have to look into Talkbox (even Whatsapp if it has voice messaging), since I couldn't get HeyTell to work.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

Last edited:

hank_marvin

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Can't wait for it to be released then I can sell my old phone.

Key features are group chats, all the media sharing you can do, ease of use.

And huge key point is where I live my signal is not great and often have none so whatsapp over wifi and phone signal make it flexible.

Only use texts with people who haven't got whatsapp.

Hope its released today.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure I must be missing something but I just don't understand the point of this app now that FB messenger is so prevalent.

Because using FB integrated chat, you don't get a message unless the other person appears online on FB. Most of my friends choose to stay offline on FB and they still message me. I don't check my FB for days and weeks at times and there they are writing stuff away! So they whatsapp me instead.

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
Frankly I hope Skype becomes the goto messaging app not just for voice or video calls but IMs and file transfers as well. It's very cross-platform already and has a huge user base (even bigger now with WLM merging).

Now MS just needs to hurry up and get Skype out of preview mode and fully working on WP8.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12