What is the best music software for windows phone 8?

WPenvy

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
I synced my phone once when I got it, and haven't plugged it back into my computer since. I'm that pissed off at Microsoft and their paltry attempt at a sync client for wp8.

jeremyshaw

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Sucess! Syncing directly with Windows Media Player (12, in my case, from Windows 7) works perfectly. Artist info is as I want it, not whatever the WP8 sync client wants, media info is much better managed, and with a simple (WMDMPreferredAudioBitrateValue1) registry tweak, all my desktop's music is automatically transcoded to 320kbps (if lossless; lower bitrates copy over directly, unaffected). Everything is exactly as I want. I'm content (though WMP12 is still worse than the old WMP11 on Windows Vista :().

*When I say artist/album info is as I want it, I mean the following: after I set it up properly in WMP, it is as I want it, even when I copy over to the phone. For example, albums with one main artist (say, Gwen Stefani), and a collaberation song with another artist, (say, Andre 3000), would normally show up with the normal WP8 sync client (even if I set it up properly in iTunes and WMP), as, "Gwen Stefani & Andre 3000," as a seperate artist, and with a seperate album. Syncing directly with WMP makes it all show up properly, in one album, all under one primary artist.

As for cover art, I used some ID3 tag explorer plugin I've had for a while, I don't remember what it's called, however :( I *think* regular WMP folder art should work, but again, I don't remember the correct way to get cover art in WMP, anymore.

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Try musicmatch jukebox. If on 7, needs compatibility mode, but. Its great. Seriously. I've used it as my player since like 2003 or 2004.

Alex Rodriguez

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I use WMP, it worked for me. I had to edit some stuff manually like the tittle of the Album so all the songs appear on the same Album and not all over the place which i know is one of the issues. I do that with Windows explorer on the properties option of each song and also had to add some album covers. I also use MPA tool to get the background of the Artist when the song is playing like zune does.

MPAtool | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

Digital Moe

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
The Win 8 Destop app seems to be working just fine today no crashing for some reason and this sync so much quicker and better then WMP, now finally I can edit playlists in iTunes and have them sync over with ease. I am sure tomorrow it will stop working and I will be back to square one.

Edit:

Ok spoke far too soon it only seems to have brought over some of the tracks from my playlists music syncing is a travesty on WP8.

Last edited:

NickyNichols

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Amazing Music in the WP Store. It doesn't deal with playlists, you get to choose what songs you want to stream. Like a Spotify service for free.

odoggyfresh

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
just bought my 822 yesterday. tried out the windows phone software for windows 7. worked fine for syncing a couple gigs of music, no problems. keeping fingers crossed it stays that way

anon(5468609)

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
If you're talking about 'apps' for the phone, I haven't explored anything further than Nokia Music (which is actually pretty cool).
If you're talking about PC music management/sync then MediaMonkey is it, hands down.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I still just use my ZuneHD to sync with my awesome Zune software. The vast majority of my music listening happens in my car and i just leave my ZuneHD plugged into my Ford Sync. I'm not happy that I can't sync my Zune Pass music to my phone but in order to make myself feel better I just pretend the horrible syncing situation was what lead to Sinofsky getting the boot.

True or not, it makes me feel better. Hehe.

Connie Litrenta

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
The only way I've been able to get this to work is by using the desktop app to sync podcasts from iTunes. We tried figuring this out earlier, but it appears to be doing something sneaky to mark the podcasts it syncs as podcasts and not just music, that we can't replicate. It's not something simple like genre, etc

For what it's worth, if you use Audible.com for your audio books/podcasts, these podcasts will go into the Podcasts area in the Music Player. Oddly enough they don't even show up in the actual Audible App, only the audio books do. Whatever works I guess.

Jmh89

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Do any of you use WMP to sync music to a 64gb micro sd card? I HATE using the Windows 8 app, so I tried to use WMP to properly sync music to the memory card. But whenever I use WMP, the music app is insanely slow and laggy. it's unusable! So I deleted everything, and started over, using the Windows 8 app, and xbox music works MUCH better on the phone. It's not near as laggy, and actually usable. Is it a bug on the phone? Why doesn't it work good whenever I use WMP?

jeremyshaw

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Curseit, WMP-->WP8 still screws up several of my ID3 tags. I wish MS would just figure out what to do, rather than keep on using us as guinea pigs. This kind of behavior was fine a few years ago, but not today with two established and mature, yet utterly dominant stalwarts in the market. Fine, Android doesn't have a native music management software on the PC, however, it has quite a few unique and native media players that will recognise proper ID3 tags. Unlike WP8, which failes to recognise some of those set by Apple, many of those set by WMP, and refuses to play songs that play just fine on a 1st generation iPod touch, several newer iOS devices, and a slew of android devices that I have.

I just don't understand why Microsoft had to drop the already perfectly working and fine Zune system. I can see progress for the sake of progress, but this? This is just regression. I'll just wait a couple of months, maybe WP will have something by then.

TL;DR, WMP isn't perfectly meshing up with WP8, either. Still better than the other solutions I have tried. Not as good as Zune-->WP7, and definately hopeless compared to Google's ecosystem, much less Apple's even more synchronised world. Sometimes, I just want things to work, not fail badly with a cute UI element telling me so.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I think the best app for a WP8 is a Zune HD. It is really tempting to take mine with me, but no.... I want to eliminate a device. I'm going to stick it out..... Ugh.

glimited

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Coming from iOS/iTunes, I wanted to sync my playlists from iTunes but the Windows Phone app wouldn't sync properly. I didn't feel like recreating all my playlists on Windows Media Player so I searched around and found that DoubleTwist works well to sync all my playlists from iTunes so that's what I've been using.

glimited

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried the new version of the software released today/yesterday? Seems to have sorted all the problems i was having with it.
I read about the update but haven't tried it yet. Maybe I'll give it a try again but DoubleTwist has been working fine for me so I'll stick with that for now.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I like Rhapsody for their service offerings but the software could use some work. Though all their clients on all the platforms can get a little flaky, not just on WP.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss