Micro USB 920 vs 8x reversed (bad for docks)

Stormwatch342

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
I have a 920 and got the wife the 8x, noticed that the micro USB on the devices where opposite. The flat part of on the 920 faces the back the flat part on the 8x faces forward.

Found that odd as this really kills the standard when it comes to stands and docks.

Just thought I'd share incase someone buys a dock and the USB is opposite of their phone.

(unless my wife's 8x or my 920 is just screwed up?)

WOAHesco

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
The flat part?

I had an HTC Surround and HD7 and both had the "teeth" on the connector facing front (when phone was laid on its back the teeth were on the top when connecting the charger) but on my 920 the teeth face the back (flat part up when connecting). I just thought that it was a lumia thing...

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Well hopefully someone didn't patent which direction the micro USB port is placed, and all these OEMs can get together for lunch to agree on a "single" position once and for all. Would make the after market people, and consumers, very happy indeed.
Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

jhguth

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
It's different depending on if the board is above or below it. The standard for USB connectors is to have the symbol up, on micro-usb the symbol is on the wider side. The HTC is the standard orientation, the Lumia is opposite because its mounted to the opposite side of the board.

The wider part is definitely up on a standard orientation, its the same for mini-usb and micro-usb.

Last edited:

morpheus1982

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
That's a point. The USB symbol using an older Samsung supplied cable is facing downwards when connected to my 8X.

Suggests HTC is wrong? Although it is the same as the HD7.

I know that Samsung have it the same way as Nokia...

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
For what it's worth, I have a bunch of micro USB cables from the Palm Pre. They have a silver top on the top. That dot faces up on Palm, Samsung and Nokia devices and down on all HTC devices that I've had. By my count, three out of four say that HTC is the backwards one.

jhguth

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Well you're wrong, but that's fine. My second link is the standard from he USB organization. Typical is wide part up on side with symbol.

ExcaliburII

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
All phones I've used, from Samsung, BB, Nokia, LG all have the wider part facing the back of the phone. It is only HTC that I have used that has it facing forward.

HTC breaking the standard:(

MaulerX

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
So all the other OEM's are wrong and HTC is right? But if HTC are the only ones doing it right, then that automatically makes them wrong for being the only ones doing it right.

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
The nexus 7 had it backwards and I absolutely despised it being that direction. But virtually all USB docks allow you to switch or swivel the connector on the dock. So this threads point is moot.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99