Can a Windows Phone Match Battery Life of Droid

NewPreKnox

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Hi All,
I'm seriously considering a Windows phone, but the only thing holding me back is the Droid Razr Maxx. That Droid has an amazing battery life. I don't know if that's because it's made by Motorola, the Droid operating system, or some special proprietary technology.

Is there any reason why Great Battery Life can't be part of a Windows Phone? I saw the HTC 8X the other day and it was a pretty thing. I will be upgrading to something soon, but sure wish battery was better.

Any thoughts or comments. I'm new to the Window phone. I prefer not to go with the Google phone, but the battery issue makes it very tempting.:confused:

Ray

UnfixedPyle

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
The Razr Maxx last so long because it has a 3300mAh battery in it. Most smart phones have 1500-1800mAh batteries. Windows phone (and iPhone) in general uses much less power than Android. If a WP had that big of a battery it would last even longer than the Razr. That being said, if going 2-3 days without charging is a big deal for you, then by all means go with the Razr. But even with heavy use, any Windows Phone should get you through a 14-16 hour day. I generally plug my Lumia 920 in at the end of the night with about 50% after 16-18 hours, it has a 2000mAh battery.

rdlm

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
The thing that gives the Maxx "amazing battery life" is simply that it has a huge battery! It comes with a 3300mAh battery -- which is massive. In comparison, the Driod DNA has a 2020mAh battery, and the Driod Razr has a 1780mAh battery. Note that the Maxx is both thicker and heaver than it's competitors, due to this.

For Windows Phone 8, the HTC 8x comes with an 1800mAh battery, and the Lumia 920 comes with a 2000mAh battery. I haven't looked at specs on the other models.

There is nothing magical about the Maxx, nor Andriod, nor Motorola. It's just a big battery. But I don't think any of the current WP8 phones offer an equivalently large battery.

Note: I was concerned about the battery life when I purchased the 8x, not knowing how Windows Phone 8 would perform. But at least for my usage, the battery is holding up *much* better in the 8x than my [extended life] 1750mAh battery in my Andriod "HTC Incredible" ever did. Obviously every user is different, but the 8x easily lasts me through a long day, with lots of room to spare. Even with a new/fresh battery, my Andriod Incredible would run out virtually every evening. And if anything, I'm using my WP8 more than my Andriod phone. :)

bigkevbosky

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Hi All,
I'm seriously considering a Windows phone, but the only thing holding me back is the Droid Razr Maxx. That Droid has an amazing battery life. I don't know if that's because it's made by Motorola, the Droid operating system, or some special proprietary technology.

Is there any reason why Great Battery Life can't be part of a Windows Phone? I saw the HTC 8X the other day and it was a pretty thing. I will be upgrading to something soon, but sure wish battery was better.

Any thoughts or comments. I'm new to the Window phone. I prefer not to go with the Google phone, but the battery issue makes it very tempting.:confused:

Ray

Battery life might make it very tempting, but have you attempted to USE a Razr Maxx? They're infuriating. If you must go Android, go with a Samsung device or an HTC device, or better yet, get a Nexus 4.

What's the point of all day long battery when the phone is cumbersome and slow and a chore to use?

NewPreKnox

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
The thing that gives the Maxx "amazing battery life" is simply that it has a huge battery! It comes with a 3300mAh battery -- which is massive. In comparison, the Driod DNA has a 2020mAh battery, and the Driod Razr has a 1780mAh battery. Note that the Maxx is both thicker and heaver than it's competitors, due to this.

For Windows Phone 8, the HTC 8x comes with an 1800mAh battery, and the Lumia 920 comes with a 2000mAh battery. I haven't looked at specs on the other models.

There is nothing magical about the Maxx, nor Andriod, nor Motorola. It's just a big battery. But I don't think any of the current WP8 phones offer an equivalently large battery.

:)

That's interesting -- A bigger battery. I assumed it was some special secret sauce built into the Droid . It could be advantageous to offer a Windows phone with a bigger battery and that this it was possible. Thanks. Learn something new everyday!

NewPreKnox

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Battery life might make it very tempting, but have you attempted to USE a Razr Maxx? They're infuriating. If you must go Android, go with a Samsung device or an HTC device, or better yet, get a Nexus 4.

What's the point of all day long battery when the phone is cumbersome and slow and a chore to use?

I haven't personally use a Maxx, but I had someone demonstrate it to me the other day and it had some pretty impressive feature like how you can say "I have a dinner meeting at 6" and it will automatically put it on your calendar. The voice dictation feature seemed very accurate. Also they showed me something called "swipe" ??? Where you run your fingers over the keyboard and it completed sentences for you. That was fast. He also demoed how you program the phone to use WiFi when it finds a Wifi connection to save on phone data usage. The screen was beautiful and bit big, but beautiful. Oh and google map on it was pretty nice.

Again, I wasn't personally playing with the phone, but they made it look easy and impressive. I prefer not to go to the Droid, but it did look nice to me.

Can you tell me are some of the cumbersome things on the Droid? Or some of the things that like with the Windows phone over the Droid. Maybe this should be on another thread. :grin:

Thanks to everyone.

anon(1019781)

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Lol as an Android user, I thought this thread was kind of ridiculous considering Android is notorious for having godawful battery life. However, the OP picked one of the few phones that can mitigate Android's batteryhog problem.

I think the Lumia will serve most people just fine, but it all depends on your usage pattern.

As for the OP's recent question, an Android phone is objectively and overall more useful than a Windows Phone, simply because you don't have the same barriers that Windows Phone has. On Android, you can access the filesystem, install completely different browsers, do cool things like block ads, turn your phone into an FTP server etc.

Windows Phone on the other hand is more for the average user who doesn't care about being a geek who has everything at his fingertips. Its for people who want to casually use their phone for a bunch of things everybody does on their phone, like IM, text, browse the web, install apps (WP has 120k apps and Android has 700k apps, mind you)

It really comes down to what kind of person you are. If you are a geek who needs total control of his phone. get Android. If you just want to use your phone like the majority of consumers out there and don't care about having ALL of the apps out there right now, Windows Phone is probably better for you.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
All I know is that your mileage is going to vary from everyone else. It's all about your usage and signal quality.

Everything people are telling you is true about Maxx being good ONLY because of the super-size battery. The 8X has great battery life, generally speaking, and it sounds like the Portico update makes it better.

So here's my advice... get an 8X with a wireless charging pad, and don't think twice about it. Constant get up and go, and always topped off.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I haven't personally use a Maxx, but I had someone demonstrate it to me the other day and it had some pretty impressive feature like how you can say "I have a dinner meeting at 6" and it will automatically put it on your calendar. The voice dictation feature seemed very accurate. Also they showed me something called "swipe" ??? Where you run your fingers over the keyboard and it completed sentences for you. That was fast. He also demoed how you program the phone to use WiFi when it finds a Wifi connection to save on phone data usage. The screen was beautiful and bit big, but beautiful. Oh and google map on it was pretty nice.

Swype is awesome, but it's only easy after you learn it (which some people never really master). It's a nicety, not a must-have. Windows Phone has much smarter word suggestion than Android or iPhone. Windows Phone's Tell Me voice transcription is also very accurate, although both platforms require a dependable data connection for processing, and of course requires you to speak clearly. Certainly both are better than Siri. Lastly, DataSense is a feature on Windows Phone that also monitors your data plan and recommends Wi-Fi connections when possible.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
No existing Windows Phone can match the Razr Maxx, no. But if they build a Windows Phone with a 3300 mah battery in it like the MAXX has, it certainly would.

JimboJones2268

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
In my opinion, mAH for mAH, Windows Phone 8 and Android 4.0 are about equal in power usage. Android 4.1, Jelly Bean, is slightly less efficient.

However, Windows Phones have smaller batteries in general especially compared to the phone volume/size. This is an OEM decision and not a problem with Windows Phone 8 at all. An example. I have a Moto RAZR i. It has a 2000mAH battery. I also have an 8X and an 820 which both have a larger volume but a smaller size battery. Ask HTC and Nokia why.

Last edited:

odin09

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
One of my friends just got a razr maxx and loves it. A warning though, the camera is horrible. Daytime shots or well lit night shots all come out very dark. Playing around with it I feel that all of the normal phone tasks are easier and more intuitive on WP!

anon(1019781)

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
In my opinion, mAH for mAH, Windows Phone 8 and Android 4.0 are about equal in power usage.
I hope you're completely wrong about that. Considering how much Android 4.0 does and Windows Phone 8 still doesn't do, that's quite embarrassing. The least Windows Phone 8 can do is have significantly more battery life.

JimboJones2268

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I hope you're completely wrong about that. Considering how much Android 4.0 does and Windows Phone 8 still doesn't do, that's quite embarrassing. The least Windows Phone 8 can do is have significantly more battery life.

This is obviously only my opinion, but I dont see Android in my own setup at least doing anything more than Windows Phone. Both give me push email, push Facebook notifications, calls and texts and Google Talk access. I have similar apps on both platforms but they dont do anything in the background on either for instance, a Google reader client, twitter client, rail planner, navigation apps etc.

The only thing my Android phone does more of is automation based on location which uses cell location and therefore uses almost no battery at all.

Android can do more than I am using it for, but all decent apps dont do anything when put in the background really.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karyrney