Google Ends Exchange Active Sync. How will I sync calendars now?

andrelamont

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
Official Google Blog: Winter cleaning

One of things I loved with my WP was the ability to view multiple calendars from my gmail account on my phone. It seems like that IF I were to do a hard-reset on my phone I would not be able to setup my calendar google calendar syncing using exchange.

What are the other options?

I guess I could migrate everything over to outlook.com (which is a possibility ) but my extended family calendars (google) are shared into my gmail account.

I sooner ditch google services than ditch my phone.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Official Google Blog: Winter cleaning

One of things I loved with my WP was the ability to view multiple calendars from my gmail account on my phone. It seems like that IF I were to do a hard-reset on my phone I would not be able to setup my calendar google calendar syncing using exchange.

What are the other options?

I guess I could migrate everything over to outlook.com (which is a possibility ) but my extended family calendars (google) are shared into my gmail account.

I sooner ditch google services than ditch my phone.

My primary calendar is outlook.com. From there I link to multiple external calendars, including three from Google. On my WP device I sync only with outlook.com. This also helps when you do a hard reset or switch devices, as all the configuration information stays on outlook.com.

So, I never setup more than one account on my phone and still get aggregated calendar information from multiple sites.

I don't know how you use your phone, but it might work for you too.

P.S. I agree with Miller, pathetic "housecleaning"... more like a pre-emptive strike to make WP's climb to relevance as steep as possible.

andrelamont

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
My primary calendar is outlook.com. From there I link to multiple external calendars, including three from Google. On my WP device I sync only with outlook.com, which also gets me all the entries from my linked calendars onto my device. This is also handy should you do a hard reset, as all the configuration information stays on outlook.com. I never setup more than one account on my phone and still get calendar information aggregated from multiple sites.

I don't know how you use your phone, but it might work for you too.

P.S. I agree with Miller, pathetic "housecleaning"... more like a pre-emptive strike to make WP's climb to relevance as steep as possible.

How do you share a google calendar into outlook? Is it two way syncing where I can edit on my outlook.com account and it shows up on my google calendar?

...p.s looks like my contacts will have to move also....sigh!

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
this crap is going to backfire on them. These "Don't be evil" turds are even shutting down SyncML WHICH IS AN OPEN STANDARD.

F these clowns, I'm getting real close to shutting off all my Google services.

paulm187

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
Outlook.com - faster, cleaner, and better. Since moving to Outlook.com I've had less spam. My gmail account is bombarded with spam!

Google - the douche bags of the tech industry.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Not that this is worth too much, but Google claims that ActiveSync will continue to work on accounts already activated with it, even after the January deadline. Which suggests that you'll be okay beyond that point -- assuming that everything continues to work normally.

But still... how declasse. This is like Microsoft announcing they're "cleaning up" Windows and IE by blocking Google.com searches.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Just migrate over. Move everything to Outlook.com now, and you won't have to worry about Google's machinations.

Honestly, it amazes me that so many people are dependent on such a constantly-changing provider for really basic services that multiple companies provide (often with a more stable platform).

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
How do you share a google calendar into outlook? Is it two way syncing where I can edit on my outlook.com account and it shows up on my google calendar?

...p.s looks like my contacts will have to move also....sigh!

Yes, that is true. The google calendar's I sync with aren't my own, so I don't have the rights to modify them anyway. That is why this method works for me. Sorry. Gave it my best shot. :wink:

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Just migrate over.

If this is also an option that works for you, then go do it! Right now! Just preventing Google from profiling you (by searching through your contacts, calendars and e-mails) should be worth the effort. It isn't that difficult either. You export your contacts from Google and import them into Outlook.com. Some manual clean-up effort might also be required, but nothing major.

andrelamont

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
When you put all your eggs in the basket of an advertising company that makes technology this is what happens.

At the time, it was the best option. Google did only good things and that formed a nice relationship with consumers
I mean before google arrived we had...yahoo calendars and at the time it didn't play very nice with others. So I recommended my family and friends to move their services over to google and its been that way for about 5+ years.

So asking everyone to move again to outlook.com is not that simple as for some people (including to grandmas ) changing over will not be worth it (i.e. stuck in their ways + it works good enough )

It sucks now! I guess MS could support CalDAV, CardDav and IMAP as a nice move for its customers.

E Lizzle

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
The method of linking the Google calendar into the outlook.com calendar system will make all of your existing Google data show up while new entries that you make will be made against the outlook calendar. That's how I "migrated" my calendar and it's essentially seamless.

-E

pavvento

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm trying to migrate to outlook.com and can't believe how long it takes to import previous emails from gmail. It has been 'running' for about 3 hours and has only gotten through a few hundred emails.

paulm187

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
I'm trying to migrate to outlook.com and can't believe how long it takes to import previous emails from gmail. It has been 'running' for about 3 hours and has only gotten through a few hundred emails.

Its quicker to setup Windows Live Mail with Gmail, download all the messages and then setup Outlook.com and drag back the messages. It will sync up to the Outlook account. Always make a backup first before you try this. Otherwise, if you are not in a hurry just leave it migrating - its slow because the messages are sent in batches as SMTP

jhguth

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Will this stop push email from working with Gmail accounts? My email is a domain I own and Outlook.com is already grabbing all my messages, I guess I could switch if I wanted.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05