Screen timeout "never"?

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Any reason there is no option for a screen timeout of "never"? I'd be willing to compromise by having the password be required immediately when locked or for charging only.

It seems kind of stupid that it's not an option.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
The reason why "never" is not an option is because it would kill the battery and also could result in pocket dialing. This blog post from iMore makes sense. It wouldn't only apply to the iPhone; any device would have terrible battery life if the screen never turned off.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Any reason there is no option for a screen timeout of "never"? I'd be willing to compromise by having the password be required immediately when locked or for charging only.

It seems kind of stupid that it's not an option.

Yeah, I can see having that option... or maybe a 'Keep screen on while charging.' option. It would be nice to maybe keep the screen on while I'm playing music in my car and it's plugged in charging.... Easier to change tracks... (I personally have Sync so I can use the steering wheel to change, but not everybody does...)

jhguth

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I wish that it was on for music, too. Its one of my main complaints with this phone. Keeping your phone on is open to apps, other apps can do it, i wish that music had the option

busngabb

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I can see having that option... or maybe a 'Keep screen on while charging.' option. It would be nice to maybe keep the screen on while I'm playing music in my car and it's plugged in charging.... Easier to change tracks... (I personally have Sync so I can use the steering wheel to change, but not everybody does...)

Car tunes is a great app for music in the car. It keeps the screen on and lets you change track with a swipe left or right. You can swipe up to turn random on or off and down to go to a list of artists. You can also press on an artist or album name to change from all songs to just that album or artist and a two finger tap goes back to playing the entire music collection.

A grest little app that works far better than the default music controls.

You say you have sync? What is that and which Windows phone do you have? I would love to be able to control the music with the steering wheel controls, but I have asked in two shops now and both said there are no systems on the market that support Windows Phone 8 as yet.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
The reason why "never" is not an option is because it would kill the battery and also could result in pocket dialing. This blog post from iMore makes sense. It wouldn't only apply to the iPhone; any device would have terrible battery life if the screen never turned off.

That isn't the problem you would think. It's up to the user to lock the screen when ready. I have my iPhone set that way. Then you can dock the phone and not have to worry about screen timeout.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Also it sounds like its a carrier option. I think I read that Rogers in Canada has the option of "never" for the lock screen.

3ibs

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
That isn't the problem you would think. It's up to the user to lock the screen when ready. I have my iPhone set that way. Then you can dock the phone and not have to worry about screen timeout.

Exactly. We should have the option to choose.

glimited

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Definitely need the option to set it to "never." I like to use my phone as a media player in my car (while charging) and having to unlock it every 5 minutes of inactivity is a bit annoying. The claim that the "never" option isn't there because it's a battery hog is ridiculous; might as well not not have an option to set screen brightness to high cause that's a battery hog too. We should have the option of setting it how we want it. And pocket dialing is user error. If you don't lock your phone before putting it in your pocket, that's the user's fault really.

It's kind of a let down not having the little things like this, rotation lock, separate volume controls, etc. Previous iOS users may have taken these things for granted since it seemed so basic after using it for so long and it's kind of annoying not having these "standard" features. It's a shame the Portico update didn't do anything about these "features" but hopefully they're working on it. I still love the phone and work around these issues for now.

MikeInBA

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
It needs to have a "never" standard because devs are having to implement "Prevent Screen from timing out" options if their app doesnt require interaction for it to be used. This was a terrible experience at the gym jumping rope and every 5 minutes i would have to go touch my screen so i could keep an eye my sets timer.

AndrewakaMJ

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
It needs to have a "never" standard because devs are having to implement "Prevent Screen from timing out" options if their app doesnt require interaction for it to be used. This was a terrible experience at the gym jumping rope and every 5 minutes i would have to go touch my screen so i could keep an eye my sets timer.
But IMO I would rather the devs have to implement it on the few apps that would need it rather than me have to go into my settings and change it when I'm using those apps.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
But IMO I would rather the devs have to implement it on the few apps that would need it rather than me have to go into my settings and change it when I'm using those apps.

Both should really be there. However, if you set the never option you develop the habit of locking when ready. It's not an option you turn back off. It wasn't a problem for me on my previous phone. When I first set my iPhone that way I was worried at first.

I do find devs in the WP community to be rather responsive to ideas and requests. Unfortunately, the apps I want to have this functionality on tend to be from the larger companies like MS and Nokia. We're less likely to influence any design changes with them.

People have been asking Rhapsody to do this for their app for years but they never do.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
You say you have sync? What is that and which Windows phone do you have? I would love to be able to control the music with the steering wheel controls, but I have asked in two shops now and both said there are no systems on the market that support Windows Phone 8 as yet.

I was talking about Ford Sync. Normally I just have my ZuneHD plugged into it via USB and I can use voice commands to play songs, like 'Play track [whatever]' or 'Play album [whatever]'

I have not actually plugged my phone into the USB port yet.. I should try that. But I do pair it via bluetooth and I can use my steering wheel to change tracks as well as use the voice activation to call contacts on my phone. It's a first generation Sync.. so many years old.

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I believe this isn't carrier dependent, but brand dependent.

From what I read, it seems like Nokia phones might have this option and HTC phones don't. It wouldn't surprise me if this option is a Nokia custom.

Let us know if you have info that proves this theory wrong.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I believe this isn't carrier dependent, but brand dependent.

From what I read, it seems like Nokia phones might have this option and HTC phones don't. It wouldn't surprise me if this option is a Nokia custom.

Let us know if you have info that proves this theory wrong.

My 822 only has 30 seconds and 1, 3 and 5 minutes.

UK WP8 User

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Definitely want screen to stay on when charging, then when it is on the charging stand I can leave any app running - Bloomberg ticker for example.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss