Photo Hub Not Showing Skydrive Previews?

Gravity oXo

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure what caused this, but for some reason my photos stored on my Skydrive no longer show images in folder previews in the Photos Hub. It used to work, but I have no idea why it stopped... Pictures stored on my phone, or pulled from Facebook work fine, but anything coming from Skydrive no longer shows the preview... It's almost as if they are empty folder, but they aren't.

Anyone have any idea why? It's not the worst problem, but it's still annoying. :)

wp_ss_20121221_0001.jpg

E Lizzle

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I have the same problem and haven't found a solution, even after doing a bunch of Googling. I've seen reports of others with the same issue, though.

-E

Gravity oXo

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I thought it may be related to having the Skydrive app installed, because it seemed like it stopped working around when I installed that app. I tried uninstalling it, but it didn't seem to make any difference. Glad I'm at least not the only one. :)

SaucePolicy

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Same thing here. I did install the skydrive app at some point but it's been uninstalled. I'm not sure if the photo hub ever showed the preview for skydrive folders for me.

Visual360

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I have the same problem, and I think it happens when the pictures are actually in the sub folders. What I did was, copy a photo on the main folder, and it works now. Probably not the best solution (especially if you are anal about organizing your photo's), but good enough for now.

Gravity oXo

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I may be misunderstanding, but while I do have some sub-folders, the others haven't changed.

For instance, the "Three Kings +1" shown above in the screenshot is from a Windows Phone 8 "Room" by the same name. Those pictures haven't been moved, or put in sub-folders, but the preview for that just stopped working. Along with all other Skydrive albums.

mr_808

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
This has been a problem for me since day one. I have a launch day Lumia 920 and this drives me crazy! Especially, considering all my FB pictures show a preview and load almost instantly. You know what would be nice? If you could arrange the album folders like you can arrange the start screen. I don't even need different sized tiles. I'd just like the ability to move the folders I use the most to the top of the list.

Kavu2

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Re: "Same problem here... seemed to happen after the Portico update."

Occurs here as well...but no Portico update here yet (Verizon....sigh), so that's not it.
I've played with combinations of settings in Skydrive (thumbnail/detail), loggedin/loggedout......no impact on absence of thumbs in wp8 Photohub Skydrive albums yet. I was thinking it had to do with sycing or something. Will keep playing around. It's gotta be something...I did have the thumbs at one time.

pmhgeneral

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Same problem here but nine was working up to a week ago don't know what changed. I also had the skydrive app and uninstalled it but did not help. Hope this gets worked out soon!
Skydrive just did a update 1-25-13 to there app that I updated I thinking this has to do with the problem???

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I have the same issue and more. All my photos were going from phone to SkyDrive just fine, auto upload when connected to home WiFi. Then I installed the app a week ago. Photos stopped going to SkyDrive. I uninstalled the app as I when going to photohub an upload to SkyDrive error was showing if I manually selected a photo to go to SkyDrive, yet no upload confirmation or error is shown when manually trying to upload. I'm beginning to very much dislike WP again.

Gravity oXo

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Same problem here but nine was working up to a week ago don't know what changed. I also had the skydrive app and uninstalled it but did not help. Hope this gets worked out soon!
Skydrive just did a update 1-25-13 to there app that I updated I thinking this has to do with the problem???

For me the problem has been going on longer than 1-25-13. I do wonder if there could be multiple causes for this though, since it seems to happen at different times.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
For me I have the following (from left to right, then down):

Family Room Photos (from SkyDrive) - Blank Thumbnail
  • 2 pictures inside
Other Pictures (from SkyDrive) - Has Thumbnail
  • 6 pictures inside
.picasaoriginals (from SkyDrive) - Has Thumbnail
  • 3 pictures inside
Mobile uploads (from SkyDrive) - Blank Thumbnail
  • 17 pictures inside
  • Samples for Kelvin (from Skydrive) - Blank Thumbnail
    • 9 pictures inside
    • Pre portico (from Skydrive) - Has Thumbnail
      • 5 pictures inside

Hope this info helps to establish a pattern.

Last edited:

Mr Nicedude

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
This same thing happened to me too, but I think I found a fix. Basically, I just went to skydrive on my computer and renamed the folder slightly... then I went back on my phone and tapped on the photo album cover. I let all the photos load and then went back to the 'albums' screen. Lo and behold, the album picture reappeared! Hopefully this works for you guys.

EDIT: This seems to only work for recently added albums within the last few months...

Last edited:

pmhgeneral

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
This same thing happened to me too, but I think I found a fix. Basically, I just went to skydrive on my computer and renamed the folder slightly... then I went back on my phone and tapped on the photo album cover. I let all the photos load and then went back to the 'albums' screen. Lo and behold, the album picture reappeared! Hopefully this works for you guys.

EDIT: This seems to only work for recently added albums within the last few months...

Thanks! I will have to try this to see if it works, my albums I've had for a longtime it be interesting to see if it works.
Update: tried it and no go for me I rename it saved it looked at in on phone name was changed but photos still not showing, go figure...

Last edited:

dallasfmm

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Any luck on this yet? I thought it might be a carrier issue, but after speaking with the folks at ATT, it is apparent that it isn't written in their "trouble-shooting" Q&A list.

photojennik1

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
I think I have figured out the problem!

THE FIX ('er, work-around)
First, the good news - If you create a new folder in your Sky Drive and move your photos, you will find (after some time) that the new folder appears with the preview. Renaming the folder does not help so you may as well delete the old folder as it seems to have become corrupt.

THE CAUSE
Next, the somewhat bad news - Through much testing, it seems that if you are accessing www.outlook.com from a computer that has blocked any part of this site (most likely the Sky Drive due to certain corporate policies against cloud storage) usually within the day after this action, your previews in your Photo Hub turn gray never to preview it's contents again.

I have performed this task several times and the only time my preview turns gray is after I access www.outlook.com from my employer's system - even if only to check my mail and never select the Sky Drive, this is the outcome. After avoiding the website at work, my Photo Hub remains in tact where the Sky Drive albums are concerned.

The moral of this story
Once you determine the computer that is blocking any part of the web address, you will be able to avoid this problem from occurring again.

I am going to submit this to Microsoft so they can explore it further.

(I currently own a Nokia Lumia 920)

Gravity oXo

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Hmmm. Interesting. I'll add to your findings by saying that I wonder if the number of photos in the directory has anything to do with the previews not showing? I created a new Skydrive folder some time ago for "Wallpapers". I only have 3-5 images in the folder. It shows the preview. However, all my other Skydrive folders still do not.

I'm not sure that Outlook.com is the problem. I've been using Outlook.com for quite a while now (well after I created the "Wallpapers" folder). So, that may at least remove that possible cause off the list? I'm not positive, but just thought I'd pass along my findings. :)

Thank you for posting what you have found. Hopefully Microsoft can get this sorted out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs