Windows 8 phone voice recognition

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
For barking commands and short responses to texts, it's top notch with excellent recognition and easily more functional than anything I've used on android or Siri. It's not so great on dictating emails, as there's no way to add punctuation from what I can tell. Siri is the best here, but personally I can't see many circumstances where I'd be dictating an email versus tapping it out. Personally, I'm loving the ability for developers to plug into the speech API. Being able to tell Hey DJ to "surprise me" by playing a random track, or Cocktail Flow to give me a specific drink by saying "Cocktail Flow" and then the name of the drink is truly useful. I'm just waiting for someone to come up with an app called remind me that would make reminders similar to what's on iOS and Android.

Your Cocktail Flow has voice commands?

CapnPauly

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I too wish they wouldn't censor my $&%@*!# swearing, or at the very least, give us the ability to toggle a "Profanity Filter" so that my asterisk-mouth wasn't stifled.

Big Internet-kudos to anyone who knows where "Swearing in longhand, asterisk-mouth" came from without Googling it. ;)

Sheamartin

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
I can find the apps to speak text etc. But is there an app that will actually speak my unread text to me? I had an app for that on Android and really loved it while driving.

cndspec

May 29, 2013
Visit site
In the case of Windows Phone you don't need apps to be able to speak and/or have read out texts. One of the beauties of the system - it's baked right in. If you want to have your texts read out loud to you while driving you just go into "settings" then "speech" and go to the drop down list under "read aloud incoming text messages" there are a few options there. When a text comes in it will ask you if you would like it read out. If you say yes then it will ask you if you would like to reply to it. All done automatically.

If on the other hand you want to initiate a text, of course then you would just long hold the windows icon and the tell-me assistant will come up asking you to say a command and you can just tell it you want to text whomever. As long as they are in your contact list it will immediately go into texting mode.

I love that feature when I'm driving!

greycounciller

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
The voice recognition on my L920 is very bad, probably gets in the region of 90% of words wrong when trying to do even short replies to texts.
How do you guys say it's accurate. Am I missing something?

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
The voice recognition on my L920 is very bad, probably gets in the region of 90% of words wrong when trying to do even short replies to texts.
Do you enunciate properly?
Do you have an accent?
Do you stutter?
Do you use pause sounds (aaaa, eeehh, etc.)?
Do you use speech recognition in a noisy environment?

Any of the above will hinder any speech recognition on any device/software.

I suffer from stuttering and pause sounds, and the phone has issues. But when I can eliminate those two, then the phone speech recognition is dead on. I have a friend that has a heavy foreign accent, and they have issues with all speech recognition software.

greycounciller

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Though not bragging, I do speak english very clearly and my diction and punctuation are very good. I wonder then if there's a problem with this phone?

ho0lee0h

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site

Seriously? It picks up my voice on noisy streets in my car. Voice commands with Bluetooth on works great for me!

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
The more you use it, the better it seems to get. I've been using it since the Mango (WP 7.1) update was released to developers, which I think was about 2-3 months before general release. And for those who asked about a list of apps that use it, you can tell what apps you have installed that have voice commands by tap/hold the start button, then when it makes the tone that it is listening for your voice, tap the question mark. Swipe right for the list of apps that have voice commands registered.

Sheamartin

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
Are you referring to the voice command screen you get when you hold down the home button? When I'm at home and it's quiet, it works great. But the couple of times I've tried to use it in the car it just says it didn't hear anything. Are there settings I can use to improve it?

benrp

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
Well I've found the accuracy to be OK, but it helps if I put on an American accent. As far as features go, its certainly lacking but I never use Tell me anyway so I don't think I would even with good features.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Are you referring to the voice command screen you get when you hold down the home button? When I'm at home and it's quiet, it works great. But the couple of times I've tried to use it in the car it just says it didn't hear anything. Are there settings I can use to improve it?
Yes. I wonder, how are you using it in the car? I used to use a cable to connect it to the aux input of my car stereo to play music or podcasts. The down side of this is that when a cable is plugged into the headphone jack, it looks to the jack for mic input as well as audio output. If I wanted to speak something, I had to unplug the aux cable, as if I didn't, it would tell me it didn't hear anything. Is it possible this is how you're using your phone in the car? I switched and got a Logitech BT audio receiver (not the hands free, but just the audio, because my car already has the hands free profile). Now my phone connects to the stereo via BT for commands, and to the Logitech (plugged into the car's aux input) for music/podcast streaming. Works great.

Well I've found the accuracy to be OK, but it helps if I put on an American accent. As far as features go, its certainly lacking but I never use Tell me anyway so I don't think I would even with good features.
But Americans don't have an accent. :wink:

Smyrna5

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
Old thread, I know, but I've never had a voice recognition phone before and it works very well on my Nokia 521. I love it when I am driving and I get a text message. The voice pops up and asks me if I want it to read the message. I say "yes," and it does. Then, it asks me if I want to reply. I say, "Yes" again and do. When it reads it back and prompts me to send I do and off it goes. All hands free. Since it reads everything back, if it does pick something up wrong, I get a chance to correct before I send.

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Old thread, I know, but I've never had a voice recognition phone before and it works very well on my Nokia 521. I love it when I am driving and I get a text message. The voice pops up and asks me if I want it to read the message. I say "yes," and it does. Then, it asks me if I want to reply. I say, "Yes" again and do. When it reads it back and prompts me to send I do and off it goes. All hands free. Since it reads everything back, if it does pick something up wrong, I get a chance to correct before I send.

Now after the GDR2 update, speech recognition is much better on Lumia 920.

greycounciller

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
My voice recognition is still c#@p, probably only gets 10% of words right. I wonder if this handset has microphone problems?

Sent from my Lumia 920 using Tapatalk

Smyrna5

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
My voice recognition is still c#@p, probably only gets 10% of words right. I wonder if this handset has microphone problems?

Something is definitely wrong somewhere. Mine is closer to 95%, or better.

Its amazing how far we have come. I was an early adopter of the Apple Newton in the early 1990s, which was one of the first tablets that had handwriting recognition. I tried for hours to get it to recognize its own name, Newton, but it kept interpreting it as Clinton lol. I spent more time correcting things on that device, than I spent writing them in the first place, so I finally sold it.

western_riders_dad

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site

Are you commenting on performance of speech to text directly into the handset, or via a Bluetooth device? I was having a problem with accuracy via one of my accessories, so I unpaired / repaired, and that took care of it.

greycounciller

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Both. It's worse via Bluetooth, but equally as bad without.
I have updated to the Amber release hoping it would be better but it's still pants.
Where are the microphones on the phone located?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb