Live Messenger/MSN Messenger? Where again?

ikhfa

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

This will be my first post after following the forum for a few months now. This forum is a god-send. Thank you to the peeps in the forum.

I have this niggling annoyance with MSN/Live Messenger which needs clarification. I understand that the Messenger works from Messaging (so does Facebook Chat). So while this is natively supported somehow, how do I contact other Messenger users? I have quite a number of friends with Microsoft accounts (mostly with @gmail.com) but I have no way of using Messenger to chat via Messaging. Instead, I am only able to text them by SMS. This despite touching the double arrows which brings up the other numbers which may be used (which happens to show their secondary phone numbers). I can see all my Facebook friends when I swipe left though.

The logical thing to do is to setup my Messenger account and add these friends right? Is there any way to do that via Windows Phone 8? There was the old MSN Messenger client last time but now I think Skype had taken on that role. Which brings me to the next issue ...

Is the Messenger supposed to be used natively from within Messaging or Skype? This is really confusing. Thank you for your kind assistance.

Faisal

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I have my Microsoft account that has only a few people I need to have push MSN messenger contact with, I can see them online via messaging app.

I have also merged my normal MSN messenger account and Skype so I can use Skype to chat with everyone else when I'm just sitting around doing that

Morq

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Add email you use to login on msn to your phone. Think it should sync all the people automaticaly (I think). Then go to "Me" (either by dedicated tile or people->me), set chat status to whatever you wish (think thats neccessery only the first time, later it will be able to change the status on fly whenever you wish to send the msg via msn).
When you have a contact with a few contact options eg. sms, mail, msn, when typing the msg you can press "Switch button" (looks like two arrows one left one right) and select where do you want to send the msg to.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6