Will WP8 and BB10 Kill Android?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nokiafan99

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I don't think there is any is out there that can kill android. It can't happen ever if they keep on delivering is updates like jelly bean. Having said that, wp8 has room to grow and become no 3

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I don't think there is any is out there that can kill android. It can't happen ever if they keep on delivering is updates like jelly bean. Having said that, wp8 has room to grow and become no 3

Of course it can, but it will take years to happen. Just like happened with Nokia, for example. They failed to adapt to changing markets and were replaced by others who did.

In mobile phone business stuff just takes years to really happen. Cos when the average joe buys a phone, they buy it for the next 2 years. Android for example could show strong presence even 2 years after it is no longer the "cool stuff", as people still have their old phones, but when it becomes the time to upgrade phones, they get some other type of phone.

Nokia was simply the king of mobile phones for over a decade, not many thought they would be replaced, but look where that got them.

BellaRed

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
They may well dent it but probably won't kill it off.

No one stays on the top forever. Some may never achieve the No1 position and some may only achieve it briefly.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I would think the bigger questions is, will bb10 kill wp8? If it wasn't for Microsoft's incredibly deep pockets, it might already be dead.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I think Android is more like Symbian than like Windows on the desktop (the analogy that Google likes to make).

Like Symbian, Android is clunky, open source, and most people buy it either because it's cheap, or because they're propellerheads.

The propellerhead contingent is loud, but small. They couldn't save Symbian or make MeeGo viable.

I could totally see a situation where Android becomes toxic due to its serious usability issues or persistent, massive and unstoppable malware infections (malware is now the largest single category of app for Android). If it gets bad enough, and Google continues its tepid response, all it would take is a nasty infection where several hundred people have their bank and investment accounts cleaned out by Russian hackers to kill Android.

There's also the security angle of BYOD. CarrierIQ on Android showed that third parties could easily hack into and collect confidential data -- whether they were carriers who used the software, or hackers who exploited back doors. If you operated the IT department at a secretive bank, or high-tech firm, would you want your people using Android devices, when said devices could easily be hacked to allow unlimited access to your internal network and all e-mail, design documents, and other incredibly confidential data?

Probably not.

All it would take to kill Android would be a massive malware epidemic followed up by corporate bans on BYOD Androids, and WP and BlackBerry 10 would take off almost immediately. iOS would also get a big shot in the arm.

Android is like that putrid "all you can eat" place where lunch costs $5, but you don't get to complain about the disgusting food (or the e-coli infection you suffer afterwards).

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I think Android is more like Symbian than like Windows on the desktop (the analogy that Google likes to make).

Like Symbian, Android is clunky, open source, and most people buy it either because it's cheap, or because they're propellerheads.

The propellerhead contingent is loud, but small. They couldn't save Symbian or make MeeGo viable.

I could totally see a situation where Android becomes toxic due to its serious usability issues or persistent, massive and unstoppable malware infections (malware is now the largest single category of app for Android). If it gets bad enough, and Google continues its tepid response, all it would take is a nasty infection where several hundred people have their bank and investment accounts cleaned out by Russian hackers to kill Android.

There's also the security angle of BYOD. CarrierIQ on Android showed that third parties could easily hack into and collect confidential data -- whether they were carriers who used the software, or hackers who exploited back doors. If you operated the IT department at a secretive bank, or high-tech firm, would you want your people using Android devices, when said devices could easily be hacked to allow unlimited access to your internal network and all e-mail, design documents, and other incredibly confidential data?

Probably not.

All it would take to kill Android would be a massive malware epidemic followed up by corporate bans on BYOD Androids, and WP and BlackBerry 10 would take off almost immediately. iOS would also get a big shot in the arm.

Android is like that putrid "all you can eat" place where lunch costs $5, but you don't get to complain about the disgusting food (or the e-coli infection you suffer afterwards).
I wouldn't count on malware killing Android. Melissa virus didn't kill Windows, Word or Outlook.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720