(Official) What WP needs to succeed

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I would love to be able to upload into a webpage in the browser. Be it pica or docs. Speaking of docs. Email PDF support, speaking of email, ability to edit text in forwarded emails. Would be so much easier to job search with these.. :p

envio

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: The No Complaint, Only Suggestion Thread

Phone
- Better call divert options. The most basic call features are missing from WP8. Who wants to type GSM hash tags in order to divert when busy?!
- Call duration history / all calls duration
- Why not from the Start Screen swipe left and go straight to the dial pad? So simple.

People
- Share individual contact info like just e-mail address or and not the whole contact information.

Phone Store
- When browsing the phone store, would be nice to be able to see at a glance whether a particular app is already installed, without having to tap each one to discover and then having to go back to the previous menu.
- Second to that, if the app is already installed and I'm in the phone store, offer to launch the app right there. No-one's desperate to 'share'.
- More detail in the phone storage applet like how much space does each app take up (including saved data) and what is included in 'Other'?
- Wallet is good, it now allows you to add a PIN to stop unauthorised purchases from the store. But I'd like to set a PIN to stop any installations without my consent. The app might not be appropriate or could be a large install over cellular data.

Browser
- Import/Export/Synchronise Favourites with Microsoft account and by extension, Windows 8.
- Need a way to go back to top of page or bottom without endless scrolling.
- Option to switch data connectivity provider without having to go back to Start Screen.

Audio
- Custom SMS, alarm, voicemail and e-mail notification sounds.
- Separate volume for media, phone ringer, other notifications

Games Hub
- Add an option to disable hardware keys when playing games. To re-enable the keys, press power button twice and unlock again. If the screen automatically times-out during a game, the keys are still disabled when you unlock.

Connectivity
- Manual IP address
- Manually set Wireless AP order of preference (I know there's some built-in logic to try and guess this order, why can't I chose?)
- More Bluetooth profiles please.
- Make it an option to add an on-tile connectivity toggle for Cellular Data, BT, Wifi and NFC. Yes, there are plenty of Connectivity shortcut apps out there but all they can do is create a shortcut to the same settings menu. I want to be able to quickly toggle connectivity on/off without going to any menus. (It's one thing Android does well).

Others
- Certificate Manager. I have to e-mail certificates to myself in order to install them on the phone? And then, I can't mange them once they are there. How is this progress?
- Phone re-name. To re-name your phone, you have to connect it to a PC first via USB. How about the ability to re-name the phone, on the phone!?

Last edited:

BellaRed

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
I'd like a vibrate only setting with the ability to customize the vibrate alert tones.

I use WiFi hotspot a lot so a toggle for that would be great too.

alvarezjpr

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site

Phone
- Better call divert options. The most basic call features are missing from WP8. Who wants to type GSM hash tags in order to divert when busy?!
- Call duration history / all calls duration
- Why not from the Start Screen swipe left and go straight to the dial pad? So simple.

People
- Share individual contact info like just e-mail address or and not the whole contact information.

Phone Store
- When browsing the phone store, would be nice to be able to see at a glance whether a particular app is already installed, without having to tap each one to discover and then having to go back to the previous menu.
- Second to that, if the app is already installed and I'm in the phone store, offer to launch the app right there. No-one's desperate to 'share'.
- More detail in the phone storage applet like how much space does each app take up (including saved data) and what is included in 'Other'?
- Wallet is good, it now allows you to add a PIN to stop unauthorised purchases from the store. But I'd like to set a PIN to stop any installations without my consent. The app might not be appropriate or could be a large install over cellular data.

Browser
- Import/Export/Synchronise Favourites with Microsoft account and by extension, Windows 8.
- Need a way to go back to top of page or bottom without endless scrolling.
- Option to switch data connectivity provider without having to go back to Start Screen.

Audio
- Custom SMS, alarm, voicemail and e-mail notification sounds.
- Separate volume for media, phone ringer, other notifications

Games Hub
- Add an option to disable hardware keys when playing games. To re-enable the keys, press power button twice and unlock again. If the screen automatically times-out during a game, the keys are still disabled when you unlock.

Connectivity
- Manual IP address
- Manually set Wireless AP order of preference (I know there's some built-in logic to try and guess this order, why can't I chose?)
- More Bluetooth profiles please.
- Make it an option to add an on-tile connectivity toggle for Cellular Data, BT, Wifi and NFC. Yes, there are plenty of Connectivity shortcut apps out there but all they can do is create a shortcut to the same settings menu. I want to be able to quickly toggle connectivity on/off without going to any menus. (It's one thing Android does well).

Others
- Certificate Manager. I have to e-mail certificates to myself in order to install them on the phone? And then, I can't mange them once they are there. How is this progress?
- Phone re-name. To re-name your phone, you have to connect it to a PC first via USB. How about the ability to re-name the phone, on the phone!?

A lot of good things especially custom notification sounds. Come on MS it's 2012 (almost 2013)!...but also add:

Browser:

1) Swipe right to see favorites.
2) Swipe left for tabs or tools or other options
3) Ability to hide adress bar.

Media:

1) Ability to send (email, messaging, facebook, etc) full size pictures.
2) Ability to set a song as a ringtone from within the music app.
3) Make it easier to create playlists and have different playlists.
4) Support .wav files

Keyboard

1) Swiftkey anyone! (I know the thread it's only about improvements to the OS, sorry, but still...)
2) Improve predictions engine
3) Arrows to move cursor up, down, left, right
4) Ability to integrate predictions for two or more languages without having to switch langauges. Sometimes I write in spanish and english on the same text or email. It's annoying to switch back and forth. #firstworldproblem

Other:

1) Fix : Turn off the backlight of the three front buttons when watching a video.

This is for now. After breakfast I'll come back with more.

Last edited:

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Notifications for emails in subfolders.

Lack of this is extremely annoying.

alvarezjpr

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site

Hey Flagz, it would be a good idea if you could compile a list of all the suggestions in the original post.

tibere86

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

When connected to WIFI, hide the 2G/4G/LTE icon in the status bar like on Android and iOS so you know you're not utilizing cellular data.

GizmoEV

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site

• An orientation lock only go one better than iPhone and allow a portrait lock and a landscape lock.
  • Have the option of keeping the connectivity icons always displayed.
  • Have an option of having the battery % displayed in addition to the icon.
  • An option to be able to calibrate where the typing cursor gets placed relative to the touch point. Right now on my Lumia 920 the cursor is too far above where my finger is and it is to the right a bit so it is difficult to get it to place near the left edge of the screen.
  • Related to the one above, add the option to pull up a cursor pad in the keyboard.
  • While it is nice to have a theme color I would like to be able to choose the colors of the individual tiles.

Jips

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Missing functionality....

I have come from an iPhone 4s (now the wires) to a Lumina 920. Previously I have had the Lumina 800 and my son has a Droid.
I love my 920, and today I received my free wireless charger and a Brodit mount for the car.

However there is some basic functionality that is needed to allow WP8 to compete.

1. Custom tones across the board. SMS, alarm etc.
2. Do not disturb mode (Silent sounds, and no push between defined hours)
3. Notifications bar.

That's about it. Who needs 700,000 apps. Not me. Good apps will come along. Most are already here and I am happy.

I hope MS gets the basics right, and here in the UK the Lumina is being pushed very hard with bumper ads. People recognise the phone, so something is working.

Andrew Z

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I have come from an iPhone 4s (now the wires) to a Lumina 920. Previously I have had the Lumina 800 and my son has a Droid.
I love my 920, and today I received my free wireless charger and a Brodit mount for the car.

However there is some basic functionality that is needed to allow WP8 to compete.

1. Custom tones across the board. SMS, alarm etc.
2. Do not disturb mode (Silent sounds, and no push between defined hours)
3. Notifications bar.

That's about it. Who needs 700,000 apps. Not me. Good apps will come along. Most are already here and I am happy.

I hope MS gets the basics right, and here in the UK the Lumina is being pushed very hard with bumper ads. People recognise the phone, so something is working.

I agree with you, but we can only voice our opinions so far. But I gotta say, the lack of the notifications doesn't really bother me, because everything I have pinned will tell me what I have a new notification in. And on wp8 I'm sure with the bigger sized tiles you can get even more info

avsef

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Re: Missing functionality....

I agree with you completely, Jips. The number of apps available is so overrated. It's basic functionality where the platform comes up short. Here's a few more: option to delete on handheld only; your choice what size photo to attach; a usable calendar app, a better dialer (no speed dials?), vibrate only notification option, a better music player, and a clock. All that being said, love the phone (Lumia 920) and am sticking with it. Just would have loved it more if it could do some of these basic things (coming from a BlackBerry.)

renster721

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site

Hey everyone. There is a current feature request on the WP uservoice forum that looks to provide better Android-like NFC functionality. Please vote for it, and maybe we can have improved NFC functionality in the next update.

NFC tagg system changes

dookie dave

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
suggestions for windows phone

1. PICTURES OVER TILES
for example, at the moment all we have is accent colors for the tiles. make it so we can put a picture over our tiles.
this is a 3rd party app wiztiles, this is what i would like to see but instead of completely covering the whole tile, text would show up over it, just like the normal color accent. think of it as an "artistic accent" theme to the tiles.
personally i think a cut up image looks much better than the background image on an iphone or android phone
WiztilesDesigner.jpg

2. MULTIPLE "HOME SCREENS"
I noticed it does get a bit boring, and i also find my self looking for apps i want to use, in the apps list, even though they are somewhere on my home screen.
having just 1 homes is kind of like the start button on windows 7 pc's. it has the most used pinned and all the others in the programs list. the only downside is having multiple screens would be "more like android and ios".
having more than 1 would be much better and useful than having a 2 foot long start screen with 100 apps on it.

3. CHOOSE WHAT THE SEARCH AND BACK CAPACITIVE BUTTONS DO AND HOW THEY WORK, GIVE US OPTION TO DISABLE THEM.
using the phone for just one day i found my self having to press the back button... a lot. the reason is the search button, my palm keeps touching it and it does get quite annoying when trying to text or make a call or just using the phone 1 handed. disabling the buttons would turn the unused disables buttons off.
choosing what the search capacitive button can be something like instead of bing, it takes me to my apps list, "search apps" button instead of search bing.

tell me what you think.

dookie dave

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site

Going to stick with stuff that I don't believe has been said so far...
  • Landscape/sideways viewing supported throughout the OS (including start screen)
  • Vertical rectangle full sized tiles
  • Close apps by swiping up or down in the multitasking window (it's a pain having to press the back button all the way through an app just to close it)
  • Make the search button context sensitive again. I don't need 100% all the time access to Bing, I really don't.
  • Cycle through unread messages/emails on the full sized message/email tile/lock screen instead of just the latest
  • Display as much of the message as possible instead of just one line on the full sized message/email tile/lock screen.
  • Search by phone number or email in contacts instead of just by name (sometimes I need to figure out who owns what number)
  • The option to have a control bar (back/forward/refresh/tabs) in Internet explorer
  • Open to favourites in Internet explorer if no page is open already.
  • Pictures for plain text smilies (like in WP7 a colon and a close bracket plain text smilie would be replaced by a round yellow smilie face) so the smilies other people send me still look pretty n stuff.
  • Enter button in the smilie list so I can start a new line right after putting in a smilie and not have to tap the smilie button again (the enter button is easier to reach and turned off smilies in WP7).
  • Send/read offline Facebook messages natively instead of just in the app.
  • Expand functionality of the news feed in the people hub (Like comments, etc).
  • Tag people in check ins from the Me tile.
  • Upload photos from the Me tile.
  • Toast notifications from Facebook without the app (can you tell that I don't like using the Facebook app?)
  • Skype integration without need for the app.
  • Skype chat integration into the messages hub.
  • More chat services in general really. We need more than just Facebook and MSN.
  • Skype access without needing a Skype username. I should be able to just use my live email address to sign in (this is more of a problem that I have with Skype than WP8 though)
  • The ability to add artist/album pics in the Music player natively (yes there's an app that does this, but it should be built in)
  • A more feature rich media player in general would be swell, actually
  • Zoom in/out while recording video

I could go on, since I'm constantly finding things that could use improvement, but that's all I Can think of off the top of my head.

I'm seriously one of those people that feels like if I need to go into an app to do something it's a bloody nuisance. This is why I went to Windows Phone in the first place, the hubs are just so much cleaner, smoother and faster. Microsoft really needs to expand the functionality of existing hubs and create new ones (like a notification hub that everyone seems to want).
i like the close app by swiping up or down one a lot. lets make a voting petition for that!

when i hold the back button and all apps show up, just swipe down the ones that i want to close completely. that would be reaallly nice!

Last edited:

jakthebomb

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Re: (Official) Why I don't like WP8 Part 2 (What WP needs to succeed)

The ability to play videos while the phone's screen is off.

I used to use that feature on Apple Devices since 2008. I really miss that on Windows Phone 8. Some podcasts are only video, I used to put the iPhone in sleep then double tap the home button to continue playing the video but with the screen off. If I am mistaken and this is available on Windows Phone 8 please let me know how to do that. I am using a Lumia 822.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Add the ability to change the default search

I want to use Google Search instead of Bing.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Unified keyboard

Why is the Voice Dictation only available on Texting, Email and Search? Every other device offers Voice Dictation systemwide. I can't search the Store with speech.

Add more features to TellMe

I for one never cared about Siri. I used to think it was a waste of time. However Google Now and Siri offer some useful features that TellMe still doesn't have.

1. The ability to read text messages back to you
2. The ability to read Emails back to you
3. The ability to Instruct TellMe to play a song
4. The ability to ask the Weather (I know Live Tiles helps you but when driving I rather keep my eyes on the road)
5. Much more...
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Windows Phone 8 compatible accessories

I love using 3 button headphones on my old iPhone. Trying to find a compatible version for Windows Phone 8 is a absolute Nightmare. I love Klipsh but sadly they still don't offer a version for WP8. I hate Monster as they are a horrible brand of Sound Products. They make the Nokia Purity Headphones, which means I am not buying them. I was forced to go with NOCS, never heard of them until this forum posted info on them. Microsoft Store doesn't offer much help either. They show off headphones that don't have 3 buttons.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Better app support

I need my Spotify, still don't have it yet.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

FLAC Support

I don't want to convert all of my FLACs to WMA Lossless. I have a 300+GB collection all entirely FLAC. WAV is about double in size which is why I don't use it.

Will post more, but other than that Windows Phone 8 is really great.

Dr. Impossible

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
2 things still missing from WP8

I finally got my Yellow Lumia 920 the other day, 4 days after Christmas, many days after they said I would have it, but that is another story. Going thru the fun of setting it up and seeing all the new features and enjoying the beauty of the device a few things came to mind.

I still cannot organize, shift, move, and create new folders in the photo app which I have always thought since getting my Arrive 2 years ago. The other thing is I love that I can change my ringtone, but still, I cannot alter a sms or email alert/notification sound to my liking. Anyone else feeling this?

Bonus: After reading all of this stuff on the 920 the last few months I think...

It is not heavy.
It is light and sexy as ****(finally got to play with all the new phones over Xmas and the 8X is still the sexiest)
I don't find the size too large at all. Coming from an htc Arrive and a man with small hands.
I don't feel like I could break glass or crack rock with it.
The camera is defenitely stunning.
WP8 still needs work but is wonderful.

Thanks

-Doc

EssThree

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
Re: (Official) Why I don't like WP8 Part 2 (What WP needs to succeed)

I don't want to convert all of my FLACs to WMA Lossless. I have a 300+GB collection all entirely FLAC. WAV is about double in size which is why I don't use it.
Wider codec support would be GREAT, but I suspect this is something we're more likely to see in an app. I hope when (if?) the WP version of VLCPlayer is released it supports FLAC...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss