03-31-2015 08:35 AM
1,307 12345 ...
tools
    1. Independent Volume Controls - People have been asking for this since WP7. There is no downside on adding this. If there is a Microsoft Manager that is blocking this, tell that manager to pack up and leave.
    2. Call Blocking
    3. Support for other Browsers (though I can see why MSFT won't allow this).
    4. Improve IE 10. Add open in background tab (UC Browser can do it). How about an IE start page with tiles of your favorite websites?
    5. Haptic feedback.
    Last edited by wpoblation; 11-06-2012 at 05:47 PM. Reason: typo, and forgotten thought
    DavidinCT likes this.
    11-06-2012 05:42 PM
    It's kind of sad that you have to use iTunes (see Winsupersite.com) in order to get full podcast support. Both iOS and Android have OTA podcast apps/support (no tethering required).
    11-06-2012 05:48 PM
    Actually, just got the latest update to Xbox Music, it sounds like I got gapless playback :o - just played a Girls Aloud album that you need the gapless playback to flow seamlessly from the intro to the main song. I forgot where the intro ended because it was that smooth a transition. Sounds good. You might get your gapless playback on WP8 then. We shall see.
    AngryNil likes this.
    11-06-2012 08:37 PM
    I need WP8 to have the ability to switch to Windows RT via a live tile or something. I.e. a dual-bootable device so to speak.

MS should enable this before we see 5inch Windows RT phablets next year which can dual-boot to Android phones.
    11-06-2012 10:36 PM
    I need WP8 to have the ability to switch to Windows RT via a live tile or something. I.e. a dual-bootable device so to speak.

MS should enable this before we see 5inch Windows RT phablets next year which can dual-boot to Android phones.
    11-06-2012 10:37 PM

Muessig, Funky Cricket and revnout like this.
    11-07-2012 12:23 AM
    Actually, just got the latest update to Xbox Music, it sounds like I got gapless playback :o - just played a Girls Aloud album that you need the gapless playback to flow seamlessly from the intro to the main song. I forgot where the intro ended because it was that smooth a transition. Sounds good. You might get your gapless playback on WP8 then. We shall see.
    Did you manage to test the gapless on any other albums? would be good to know if this has (finally) been sorted...
    11-07-2012 08:48 AM
    Did you manage to test the gapless on any other albums? would be good to know if this has (finally) been sorted...
    Not yet, but I do have access to a Dragonforce album that does the same thing as the Girls Aloud album. Can give it a try tonight. Let's see if Xbox Music can go 2-0 up on me...

EDIT: One all! I wasn't fooled with the Dragonforce album! It seems to be crossfade-gapless playback... not the same Xbox Music...
    Last edited by Paladinleeds; 11-07-2012 at 04:33 PM.
    Hannes Wurst likes this.
    11-07-2012 08:56 AM
    I see where you are coming from, but at the same tie, there are a handful of things that were mentioned here that are CONFIRMED missing. It's hard to argue that I need to have the device in my hand to comment when I know there are features that my other phones have that WP8 doesn't.
    WP8 wasn't meant to be like the other OS's(if that were the case they would've just created another glorified app launcher) so you don't really know if you need them or they may be implemented in a different way.
    11-07-2012 01:07 PM
    WP8 wasn't meant to be like the other OS's(if that were the case they would've just created another glorified app launcher) so you don't really know if you need them or they may be implemented in a different way.
    Just seeking clarification:

You said
    "WP8 wasn't meant to be like the other OS's so you don't really know if you need them"

WP wasn't designed to visually look like other mobile OS so you (the user ) won't know if they need a feature?

It sounds like you are saying WP was designed to hide features that users were looking for?

The previous user ( at a high level view ) makes a good point. I don't have to a product in my hand to determine if its missing something.

I can read about my next car and make a determination if I want the car if it has a rear-camera or iPod/USB Audio integration. I don't believe I have to test drive the car when the marketing material clearly says it doesn't have the feature.
    lordofthereef likes this.
    11-07-2012 01:49 PM
    Is this Xbox Music on a PC or what?
    11-07-2012 06:16 PM
    WP8 does not have gapless playback.

Biggest disappointment of the OS so far.
    Hannes Wurst likes this.
    11-07-2012 07:27 PM
    You guys are digging deep now, which is good. WP7.5 was lacking so many basic features it wasn't funny. Anyway, you can still go to uservoice and log the missing features there.

My #1 missing feature: KEYBOARD!

I will not tolerate a soft keyboard. Yes, I've used it and the one on the iPhone and yes I still hate them. Swype is even lamer.
    11-08-2012 02:52 AM
    EDIT: One all! I wasn't fooled with the Dragonforce album! It seems to be crossfade-gapless playback... not the same Xbox Music...
    I am confused. Are you saying that crossfade-gapless playack is available for locally stored music only, while xbox music pass titles play gaplessly? On my windows 8 machine, there is sometimes a rather small gap when playing music from the cloud, no gap when playing music from the harddrive. What is "crossfade-gapless"? If I cannot listen to my albums without the stupid gap, then I will buy a galaxy sIII right away.
    11-08-2012 03:19 AM
    WP8 does not have gapless playback.

Biggest disappointment of the OS so far.
    More confusion... did you actually try it and there was a gap when playing locally stored music? How long is that gap ... on my HTC Mozart it is 2-3 seconds which sucks big time.
    11-08-2012 03:21 AM
    I am confused. Are you saying that crossfade-gapless playack is available for locally stored music only, while xbox music pass titles play gaplessly? On my windows 8 machine, there is sometimes a rather small gap when playing music from the cloud, no gap when playing music from the harddrive. What is "crossfade-gapless"? If I cannot listen to my albums without the stupid gap, then I will buy a galaxy sIII right away.
    My Dragonforce and Girls Aloud albums are ripped cd copies from the genuine copies I own, however I might have misinterpreted the Dragonforce album. I will listen again to both songs on my HTC wp to check I'm not missing anything.

Also, regarding crossfade gapless, I'm not entirely sure. I think it was because the album seemed to fade into the next track.
    11-08-2012 05:01 AM
    Some really basic fixes needed IMO (if I am wrong and these things are in WP8, let me know!):

- the ability to copy text from a text message! I know, I can forward it to edit and then copy, but why not just enable straight copy from a message?

- undo email delete

- different volume for ringer vs apps! Nothing worse than listening to a low volume podcast or track and BOOM, a deafening text message alert.

- think this was mentioned earlier, but a simple way to go to silent (no vibrate) using the volume keys! Why is it all or nothing with ring and vibrate? It only takes one extra step down to silent.

- last, but not least, native podcast support outside the US! WTF are they thinking leaving this out and breaking the only workaround. There's no excuse.
    11-08-2012 06:33 AM
    Hi,

I can confirm that there is no gapless playback.
    Tried it yesterday on my new Lumia 920 with a gapless live Album.

Greetings,
    Andre
    petteriusa likes this.
    11-08-2012 06:36 AM
    Hi,

I can confirm that there is no gapless playback.
    Tried it yesterday on my new Lumia 920 with a gapless live Album.

Greetings,
    Andre
    Thanks for confirming this for everyone! This certainly is a disappointing discovery. It's the small details like this that I'm afraid push people away from a platform. Hopefully this is something that will be addressed in an update sooner rather than later.
    11-08-2012 07:15 AM
    Call Control
    As far a call blocking goes on Verizon you can block any number you want on their website portal, not sure if this is the same for every carrier, but it has always worked well for me.
    Just want to say here, I rung my carrier (Three UK), and they said they can't block numbers. And combined with my phone not having any app/functionality to deal with this, if my number gets posted on the internet publicly and everyone sees it, who knows what could happen to me? I can't simply stop them dialling me.
    11-08-2012 08:40 AM
    It's tough argue that we "don't really need" simple things like customizable alerts for different persons on your contacts list, do not disturb mode for while I am sleeping, etc. I guarantee you I will miss those features still, as I do with WP7.5. But, if it pleases you, I will revisit this page once I have my L920 tomorrow, and after I have had a few days using it to confirm, I do indeed miss these simple features.
    11-08-2012 08:50 AM
    Just want to say here, I rung my carrier (Three UK), and they said they can't block numbers. And combined with my phone not having any app/functionality to deal with this, if my number gets posted on the internet publicly and everyone sees it, who knows what could happen to me? I can't simply stop them dialling me.
    If this ends up happening to you, the easiest thing to do, regardless of carrier or whether or not WP8 has a call block feature, would likely be to have your carrier change your number. I am not saying the feature isn't wanted (I was the one who initially mentioned it), however your scenario I don't feel is a very good reason to implement the feature.
    11-08-2012 08:53 AM
    If this ends up happening to you, the easiest thing to do, regardless of carrier or whether or not WP8 has a call block feature, would likely be to have your carrier change your number. I am not saying the feature isn't wanted (I was the one who initially mentioned it), however your scenario I don't feel is a very good reason to implement the feature.
    I understand that, but I don't think Three can change my number either unless I cancel, and then sign a new contract... And apparently trying to leave Three is a painful exercise as they just don't do it even if you say outright "I want my contract cancelling" even when you've been past your minimum term for like a year.

Of course, it's a low priority thing but having to text all my friends my new number will be a PITA. I'm still struggling to get them from my Hotmail.com to my outlook.com email...
    11-08-2012 10:06 AM
    Come on, just get over it and delete the whole damn thread. This should only be a problem if you have something to hide from someone. Removing single messages so the gf doesn't see? Deleting the whole thread might look suspicious if she uses your phone once in a while eh?
    No... you don't get it. I am on call for my job 24 hours a day. Whenever there is an issue with the environment i support (the 2nd largest private network in the United States), I get a message... each message is sent with a unique ID. I get lots and lots of messages... lots and lots of new threads. I can't delete them immediately... but when I can... it's usually about 2-300 messages... sometimes from a single problem. So... no. I will not get over it. It's a simple feature... they need to add it.

And for the record... my wife knows my passcode to my phone and we both have each others emails as live tiles on our lumias. I've been married for 12 years. ;)
    11-08-2012 10:20 AM
    Apart from features already mentioned in this thread I miss

1) Smart Dialing
    2) Music Sharing on Bluetooth
    3) Using whole MP3 file as a ringtone
    4) Profiles and making custom profiles
    5) Separate Volume controls for each application (calling, music etc)
    This is one of my biggest complaints as well. I like having my ringer as loud as it can be but I hate when I go to watch a YouTube video and it's just insanely loud.
    11-08-2012 11:23 AM
1,307 12345 ...