03-31-2015 08:35 AM
1,307 ... 3839404142 ...
tools
    WP needs --> this <--.
    I get that about half the people who go on these forums dont like the wallpaper idea on windows phone, but you don't have to do put a picture there, it's just an option. Or you could put a picture thats just a plain color so you have more options then just black or white.
    The other this show in this little concept demo is the ability to change the accent to any color. If we could just get that I'd be happy.
    That would be cool. I'd like to use the background wallpaper on desktop Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone.
    psudotechzealot likes this.
    11-07-2013 11:33 PM
    what I really need in WP8 is a file manager so I have an idea for file manager for WP8

Security is a really concern in WP8 and so the File manager should be

how is that ?

ok WP8 File manager should have the ability to view phone folders and view supported files with the other options like sharing by Bluetooth so on

The Security point is that the file manager automatically delete any un-recognized file type extension or any file that will be changed from say JPG to dll when that done from computer

that file should be deleted so it will not take space in the phone storage.
    in this way WP8 will keep secure and in control of what is gets in and out.
    11-09-2013 02:07 PM
    Honestly, based off of what I've experienced with the latest Android flagships (specifically the G2, Note 3, Moto X, S4, and HTC One), im a little jealous at the uniqueness of the phone and what it offers to consumers. Therefore, I feel like WP8 and Microsoft should incorporate carrier-, OEM-, and/or phone-based value adds (not just apps; actual features) to increase the user base. Most consumers might think that WP8 is plain because it doesn't offer unique value adds.
    mrdeeds_72 likes this.
    11-09-2013 05:54 PM
    The lack of separate volume controls is killing it for me. Come on Microsoft! The cheap little Pantech Jest that I upgraded for a Windows Phone 2 years ago had this basic feature. Now that I think about it, the Kyocera flip phone that I had in 1998 had this feature! How can anyone associated with the development of WP think that they can be a serious contender in the smartphone market without something as basic as this?

As you might have guessed, I missed yet another important phone call because I turned the volume down earlier to watch a video clip. I can put up with the lack of apps. I can put up with apps that are buggy and/or lack features when compared with the android version. I can even put up with live tiles that aren't 100% reliable. But no amount of pretty tiles, smoothness and ease of use of the operating system can make up for continually missing calls because no one at Microsoft thinks this is an important enough feature to include.

I've been reading for a while now that it's coming. Prior to every upgrade there is always speculation on this very forum that it's coming. I think I recall reading somewhere (probably here) that it would definitely be a part of GDR3. Well, GDR3 is here, and still no separate volume control!

Sorry Microsoft, but you're running out of time. As much as I like your phone, there are certain things I need to have. What do you want me to do, start carrying an MP3 player so I can listen to music without missing calls?
    11-09-2013 09:14 PM
    They need to listen to the consumers because we are the ones who keeps their product alive. Wth, with all these bugs, im very disappointed with latest update, i wish i never updated becoz my battery backup got worst and i cant turn off my phone anymore...people cant hard reset ,becoz it might brick their phones... WP is not for the weak hearted, but i am weak hearted anyways. I bought this bcoz everyone uses android, and i want to be different. I didnt know that theres a price to pay in wanting to be different. The devs need to take a closer look at how they programmed the phones, and tested updates before releasing to the public, why the heck cant they figure out the bugs. I never experienced a bricked phone while "just" hard-resetting my phone. Its supposed to be a system process, it should be neutral and not meant to harm our devices. We bought these phones with our hard earned money and yet, it will get bricked in just a matter of a hard reset? Im so disappointed...im just wondering if theres someone from MS reading these posts..,i wonder if theyd ever listen. I think they dont know how to do that. All thats important to them is the sales. Well, they should never underestimate feedbacks. More and more users are losing faith bcoz of the poor customer service. They want people to think they are listening, that they value what we think, but they really dont.
    11-10-2013 06:01 AM
    I'd like it to be a powerful media machine, and not just a phone and camera OS. For me to stick with WP8 after my Nokia 920 contract is finished, it needs a dead simple way to play videos on TV's via a simple cable. It should also have a simple media purchasing system like iTunes (esp. for movies and TV) ; I hear it may be coming via Xbox. Do those two things and I'll stay with WP.
    11-11-2013 03:28 PM
    I think we should all email this thread to Microsoft's Windows Phone division and make magic happen. What say you?
    Edit: I created a new idea in UserVoice and told them to check this thread out for more ideas. Hope that helps and i suggest you guys vote my idea up (mine talks about bringing more value adds into WP. Sorry if you don't agree, but I still did include the link to this thread if that helps). I was going to email them, but they don't have an email listed under Contact Us in Windows Phone, so I did it this way.
    Last edited by Dadstar0410; 11-11-2013 at 06:06 PM.
    11-11-2013 05:29 PM
    I think we should all email this thread to Microsoft's Windows Phone division and make magic happen. What say you?
    Genius. Yeah, no matter how much we rant in here nobody will listen and no one from the MS people are reading this thread.
    Dadstar0410 likes this.
    11-11-2013 05:45 PM
    a High End Device (ala 1020, 920 with updated specs) in All Carries with a good price like Google and Samsung.
    11-11-2013 06:29 PM
    hi everyone i bought lumia 620 2 months ago its very good phone but doesn't play video formats like (mkv& flv) mostly new videos & movies comes in this format .they provide a payer named yx player which play mkv format but the problem is its paid (a single player which is paid now u think its not irritating thing)
    if u take example of Samsung cheaper android phone like galaxy y it plays all format videos because of good app support .
    if we talk about price galaxy y price approximately Rs 5000 & lumia price approximately 13000.
    if we take another example of apps in android they provides millions of apps for free .

so please think about this
    11-12-2013 02:42 AM
    Actually you should have thought about it. Because i know i did. I chose the OS for what it was not what any other os was. WP has all the apps i need and more importantly they are richer. And other apps are coming everyday.
    And i for one don't mind paying for good quality apps. And i hope the kind of "free" apps Android has never come to WP.
    11-12-2013 02:46 AM
    I have thought about it.

Have you read a single review about the Lumia 620?

Windows Phone 8 app selection is still very limited
    Nokia Lumia 620 Review | Mobile Phones | CNET UK

Getting more apps is simply a case of finding and downloading them from the Nokia or Windows Phone 8 app stores, and while the selection isn't close to what's available on Android or iOS, it's still quite reasonable, with apps to suit most needs.
    Nokia Lumia 620 review: Maps and apps | Phone Reviews | TechRadar

Just to choose two randomly.

Think about this.
    11-12-2013 02:49 AM
    I just bought a Lumia 1020 for my girlfriend as she is big into photography. I've played a lot with it and am really impressed! I was a webOS devotee, and have dabbled with both Android and iOS and currently use an iPhone. And I have to say, that the Windows Phone interface is gorgeous. I love the use of whitespace, typography, and big pictures. App support isn't bad at all (with more coming around the corner), and I love the various app hubs (People app is very well done with Facebook integration). I could totally see myself making the switch myself soon, if it weren't for a few missing features. Many of which are real head-scratchers.

Can't save attachments from emails to the phone (this has got to be the strangest one of them all. I sent a video to my girlfriend and she can't even save it to share with her friends. She can view the attachment, but can't save it. And considering how the Windows Phone comes with Office and sort of touts itself as a phone that's solid at productivity, how can the fail to include the ability to save attachments, so you can edit them, and send them to someone else?)
    Notification system is lacking. There's no central place for me to see my missed texts, emails, calls, etc. Sure I can check the lock screen or my homescreen, but that's just going to give me a count, unless I blow up the tiles (and that just shows the latest one). It'd be nice to have a central hub to really see the content and act on it accordingly. The notification system is antiquated (reminds me of something from iOS 3)
    No way to quickly toggle vibrate. I have to dig deep into the settings menu. Same can be said for WiFi, Bluetooth, and the GDR3 rotation lock (about time this was added). Considering this was a huge complaint of iOS for the longest time, Microsoft had an opportunity to hear those complaints and include solutions to the limitations of its competitors in its own product. Fail.
    API locked down. If Microsoft didn't restrict access to some much through its APIs, developers could really expand on the functionality of the phone including filling some of the gaps left by Microsoft. Seems like an opportunity to not only attract more developers but also generate more user interest towards WP8.

Other gripes are the fact that the search button is not contextual, meaning it isn't aware of the app you're running and open search for just it. And the volume is not separated for ringtone, system sounds, and media. And I just read that emails are threaded simply by matching the Subject field (so an email from someone 3 years ago that wrote 'hi' as the subject will be threaded with a new email with the same subject). That's just amateurish on the part of Microsoft.

But otherwise, it's a promising OS and one that I really want to see succeed.
    11-12-2013 01:34 PM
    hi everyone i bought lumia 620 2 months ago its very good phone but doesn't play video formats like (mkv& flv) mostly new videos & movies comes in this format .they provide a payer named yx player which play mkv format but the problem is its paid (a single player which is paid now u think its not irritating thing)
    if u take example of Samsung cheaper android phone like galaxy y it plays all format videos because of good app support .
    if we talk about price galaxy y price approximately Rs 5000 & lumia price approximately 13000.
    if we take another example of apps in android they provides millions of apps for free .

For videos try this buddy
    http://forums.windowscentral.com/win...layer-pro.html
    11-12-2013 05:46 PM
    I just bought a Lumia 1020 for my girlfriend as she is big into photography. I've played a lot with it and am really impressed! I was a webOS devotee, and have dabbled with both Android and iOS and currently use an iPhone. And I have to say, that the Windows Phone interface is gorgeous. I love the use of whitespace, typography, and big pictures. App support isn't bad at all (with more coming around the corner), and I love the various app hubs (People app is very well done with Facebook integration). I could totally see myself making the switch myself soon, if it weren't for a few missing features. Many of which are real head-scratchers.

Can't save attachments from emails to the phone (this has got to be the strangest one of them all. I sent a video to my girlfriend and she can't even save it to share with her friends. She can view the attachment, but can't save it. And considering how the Windows Phone comes with Office and sort of touts itself as a phone that's solid at productivity, how can the fail to include the ability to save attachments, so you can edit them, and send them to someone else?)
    Notification system is lacking. There's no central place for me to see my missed texts, emails, calls, etc. Sure I can check the lock screen or my homescreen, but that's just going to give me a count, unless I blow up the tiles (and that just shows the latest one). It'd be nice to have a central hub to really see the content and act on it accordingly. The notification system is antiquated (reminds me of something from iOS 3)
    No way to quickly toggle vibrate. I have to dig deep into the settings menu. Same can be said for WiFi, Bluetooth, and the GDR3 rotation lock (about time this was added). Considering this was a huge complaint of iOS for the longest time, Microsoft had an opportunity to hear those complaints and include solutions to the limitations of its competitors in its own product. Fail.
    API locked down. If Microsoft didn't restrict access to some much through its APIs, developers could really expand on the functionality of the phone including filling some of the gaps left by Microsoft. Seems like an opportunity to not only attract more developers but also generate more user interest towards WP8.

Other gripes are the fact that the search button is not contextual, meaning it isn't aware of the app you're running and open search for just it. And the volume is not separated for ringtone, system sounds, and media. And I just read that emails are threaded simply by matching the Subject field (so an email from someone 3 years ago that wrote 'hi' as the subject will be threaded with a new email with the same subject). That's just amateurish on the part of Microsoft.

But otherwise, it's a promising OS and one that I really want to see succeed.
    When you send a attachment it will open the associated application and there you can save it. for example .doc will open word and that there u tap in the (...) and Save as...
    11-12-2013 05:50 PM
    (so an email from someone 3 years ago that wrote 'hi' as the subject will be threaded with a new email with the same subject)
    While I don't disagree that threading on subject isn't the best way to go, do you have 3 years worth of email on your phone? ^_^
    11-12-2013 05:52 PM
    When you send a attachment it will open the associated application and there you can save it. for example .doc will open word and that there u tap in the (...) and Save as...
    I sent her a video and we were only able to play it, not save it to the phone. If there's a way to do so, I'd love to know. Perhaps Word will allow you to do so, but not the video player?

While I don't disagree that threading on subject isn't the best way to go, do you have 3 years worth of email on your phone? ^_^
    Yeah, it doesn't affect me personally, but just reflects poorly on the software implementation. The more I've played with it I've noticed it lacking more basic features. Like I said, I absolutely love the WP8 interface and many of its rich features. But I think Microsoft's philosophy (and any company for that matter) should be to avoid frustrating its users by the omission of fundamental features. I mean, there's no shortcuts. You have to get the basics down pat immediately before you can start building on that. No excuse not to be able to easily save and send attachments. No excuse not to have independent volume controls. And the latest gem I discovered; you can't (at least not reliably) send videos in an MMS. My girlfriend took a 30 second video of our dog and wasn't able to attach it to a message. A cursory search seems to suggest we need to reduce the size. What? Every phone OS that I am aware of compresses a video to fit it within the file size limits of an MMS. This is a fundamental function that MS has failed to offer. It's inexcusable. Fix these 3 issues MS and I'd join your camp in a heart beat.
    11-12-2013 11:52 PM
    I'm one of those who likes to listen to music albums. Gapless playback would be sweet.
    As well do I.

I love my Lumia but I love music even more. This drives me crazy every day, since I use my phone as my main music player. Please, I beg of you, Microsoft gods, if your listening, please fix. Most people expect to use there phone as a music player. This feature needs to be a good experience for them or they will not stick with the platform. I'm not jumping ship but my sanity will benefit the sooner this is fixed.

PS wpcetral rocks my world
    dgr_874 likes this.
    11-13-2013 08:31 AM
    11-13-2013 10:03 AM
    Video features like audio selection, decoders etc must be added. 3D Audio support, more EQ bands etc must be added.
    11-13-2013 10:08 AM
    I think WP OS desperately needs notifications center. Now I know most of you are going to say the Home screen acts as a notification center. But It is not effective. I see it as a home screen that shows live updates. I feel like all other mobile OSes do a better job at delivering/organizing notifications. I've been using a blackberry z10 for a while and BB hub handles notifications way better compared to WP.

I think swiping to the right from the home screen should bring up a notification center.
    11-13-2013 04:22 PM
    As well do I.

I love my Lumia but I love music even more. This drives me crazy every day, since I use my phone as my main music player. Please, I beg of you, Microsoft gods, if your listening, please fix. Most people expect to use there phone as a music player. This feature needs to be a good experience for them or they will not stick with the platform. I'm not jumping ship but my sanity will benefit the sooner this is fixed.

PS wpcetral rocks my world
    I've had gapless playback since GDR2.
    11-13-2013 05:21 PM
    I think, maybe, you should have a blog. Either that or you should search the forums for the 1000 or so other threads on this topic.
    leo74 likes this.
    11-13-2013 05:22 PM
    ^^^^this
    11-13-2013 05:30 PM
    I think, maybe, you should have a blog. Either that or you should search the forums for the 1000 or so other threads on this topic.
    Even though I am a long time member, I haven't browsed wp forums in a while. Good to know it is one of the most requested features.
    11-13-2013 05:55 PM
1,307 ... 3839404142 ...