(Official) What WP needs to succeed

FredW3

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft needs to take Windows Phone seriously. It won't even work with the Microsoft Sync system in my car. It's like Microsoft doesn't think Windows Phone is worth supporting.

Talk to each other. The idea that Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 were going to work the same was a big selling point. But they don't even scroll the live tiles in the same direction (vertically vs. horizontally). Several features work considerably different on each platform. Someone dropped the ball on this one.

Fade_z

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
Slow microsoft

Hi all, let me first of all start of by saying I love wp8 and I own an L920.

But the thing is, wp8 needs basic functions first...

We now get the amber/gdr2 on our devices with functions like "hover"(Lumia only) which is neat...but its an extra not something we need like an good optimized and clever browser (*ui*)
Or orientation-lock, the list goes on..
Also isn't it an wake up call when apps need to code there own orientation lock because the OS won't allow it

And the worst part is that most of these simple features can be coded and published within 3 months.
To short I hear you say; look at jailbreaking (ios and wp7 had one once)
They move much much faster and offer things ios lacks, and wel *jarrr* free apps)

I'm still glad they update it somewhat regulary and for 36 months, but did it take that long for MS to fix some bugs, improve some stability on ie and change some UI stuff in Xbox music...

Reorganization, okay but at the very least give us some basic's now, because its these little things to make people wait for update or skip this OS totally.

Fade_z

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
Re: Slow microsoft

Btw I understand that the production cycle of jailbreak/1 guy is quicker then an big company, but they can release bigger updates which actually fix **** and improve things of value

satycool

May 15, 2013
Visit site
W8 phone is a complete failure and MS seem more and not bothered with it - FACT! They are very slow with no advancements, updates, simple fixes that could be done easily and quickly, and added with almost no customer care, and a lack of feeling with proper W8p support. MS can't even get the most basic fixes on W8OS/Phones that have been out 9+months since release. Worse MS don't even seem to acknowledge the many complaints about W8phones! With iOS7 very soon to be released (do have a proper look into this); W8 will start to look even more very dated, esp. with functions and features everything from: Music, Apps, Video, Voice Assistance, Navigation, Maps, Photo Viewing and Editing, Notification, Quick Access(much improved on iOS7), Apps..all severely lacking on W8 compared to its Android and Apple competitors !

People who say W8 is a fairly new OS also need to realize that when MS released W8 phones, they where the last on the block. This giving them time to level or surpass what was out there, but No, they simply missed out or stripped away the most basic smartphone functions! Because of this and there arrogance in thinking people will just flock to W8 has lead to small sales, no credibility, and loss of faith to already by taste to W8 as whole, and pathetic Surface sales - where MS again tried its arrogance! MS do realize and know this, so are not very bothered with W8phones , knowing its a losing battle.

Personally I'm leaving W8 once my contract is up, and certainly will be persuading others considering W8 phones to realise its quiet a backward and function/features/app missing step down from other smartphones from Android and Apple. With not much support for the phone by shops, consumers, and seems MS too does leave you to wonder you might be getting a phone that doesn't have support by app developers and MS themselves. Also with huge backlash on W8phones as you can read all over the net. W8p all ready has an impossible task keeping people on board now, people will be leaving unless MS really start to update there phones and excel at it!!! which they certainly don't do at the moment. As for GDR2 its seems to slow, to late, nothing really new, esp. when iOS7 pops up around the same time.

Last edited:

sumton

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
aside from features and apps, Live tiles need more improvements especially default ones first impression important and it may lead customer to take buy decision or find something else
so they need to put a lot of work into startscreen

Jason Wilder

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
Without having the time to read every reply in this thread, I hope I'm not repeating any gripes/features/etc.

I have a HTC Trophy running WP7.8 from Verizon (one of my gripes I'll list later). I've been running it for 2 years, and I'm seriuosly considering going to a Samsung Galaxy S4 for my next phone. I really like my Windows phone, but there are a few things that I need. It's not that I dislike the Windows Phone, but there are specific apps that I need, and only exist on Android or iOS market (I'll never go to Apple though).

• Apps Store
The app store is taking too long to develop. Like I said before I need some specific apps to perform certain functions for my job, and I really need to get them. It seems some companies have staffed developers who have gotten used to only developing for Android/iOS, or don't like WP. I could possibly write an app for WP, but don't have the time to do it. I wish Microsoft could develop more partnerships, or offer incentives to develop apps, I'm not sure what the problem is.​
  • Look and Feel
I've grown to like the metro style a little, but I'm still not sold on it. What would help is some more customization of it. I wish you could make some icons different colors, or group icons, and color the groups...something to group certain icons (i.e. messaging apps are blue, games are red, weather apps are orange, etc.) Everything the same color makes it hard to find some apps quickly. Also some apps (even native ones) don't allow for rotation, which is annoying.​
  • Music Player
My biggest gripe/request with the music player is the playlists. I wish you could create/modify playlists easier. Creating one from the now playing group is a small start, but if you accidentally add a song you don't want in the playlist, the only way to remove it from "Now Playing" (that i've found) is to completely restart the phone, and start your list over (that SUCKS). Add/Remove songs from playlist, and auto-playlists would be a huge feature for me.​
  • Updates
One of my most painful problems with WP are updates. This may have been a problem more with Verizon, than Microsoft, but getting the 7.8 update was the most frustrating expereince I've had with a mobile phone. I waited and waited for WP7.8, with no word from Verizon, I read forum after forum, and some people were getting it, some weren't. I waited for what seemed like a couple of months. Verizon would make absolutely no comment on the update. I finally found a way to do it with a hack, and updated it myself (I'm not sure I would have ever gotten the update if I was still waiting). I also owned a Samsung Omnia many moons ago, and had the same problem with it. Windows Phones never seem to be developed/built to accept a newer mobile OS. It's always the same excuse, the hardware is not acceptable for the new OS. Well then, either develop the hardware to have a longer lifecycle, or develop the software smarter!​
  • Volume Profiles
Would love a way to create volume profiles, and have shortcuts to apply them quickly. I listen to music in a few of different scenarios, and sometimes it requires different volume levels, and/or different sound enhancer settings. Also since the 7.8 update, my bluetooth ear phones are no longer detected as headphones under sound enhancer, and I cannot apply any equalizer setting to them.​

These are a few I could think of....

tardismatrix22

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
The phone has the ultimate OS, but it needs a few features.

1. Access to the root folders, without developer tools.
2. The famous notification center (if we slide right on the home screen, we can see all notifications).
3. (my opinion and obsessive love) RPG's. WP needs so many more. Zenonia 1-5. We have soulcraft, but... One isn't enough...
4. Multitasking isn't a big feature but it would be nice to have an easier way of closing them.

There is more, but these are the main features that I an interesting in getting for WP soon.

demonp82

May 1, 2013
Visit site
I would like to post my wishes too. I have lumia 920. I think to be a great OS microsoft needs to solve top ten wishes from users voting on windowsphone.com. That would do the trick. Even without rooting, file manager and the look of OS. Of course solving bugs with battery and freezing. But it can be hardware manufacturers fault.
As for me my wish number one is sound profiles with notification of silent mode.
Number two is a favourite call list, not the pin or groups. Just a phone number. And I want to call back someone in 1 click.
Number three (i can live with it but would be great) if windows phone could list apps in other languages not just by pressing the globe. Interesting thing is that Skype can arrange my Russian contacts in alphabetic order.

kingkoopa09

May 9, 2012
Visit site
Xbox game non existent

So we had halo last week if ur a Verizon customer while the rest of the windows world is stuck with no game for two weeks again but u want us yl but a phone for one game that has like 2 hrs play time wtf Microsoft u disappoint me day after day we don't even get the simple ish but they want us to stay. They have yet to show me any real progress on any of the big issues wrong with windows phone, honestly if I want in the ecosystem I wouldn't buy another I'd buy an iPhone its simple but does waaaaaaayyyy more than windows phone at the moment and looks like at least another 6 months and in that time we will be playing catch up the the new features of this years model

demonp82

May 1, 2013
Visit site
Just one hope remained is that current WP8 phones will get windows phone 9 and 10. My iPhone 3gs had support from iOS4 to iOS6. Of course not full functionally. Same could be here. There was another thing i forgot to mention is this stupid MS format for storage. By this they drop hundreds or thousands of devices that could be connected to the phone. I mean if I connect my iPhone to my car audio I will get a music player and navigation through it. But with wp8 I have to change the caraudio for a bluetooth compatible. Or use 2 cables to charge the phone and one for aux, but in this case no control through audio unit. I have seen this wish on windowsphone.com it counted around 25-30000 people voting for this function. I don't really understand MS at this point. Why can't they apply a universal standard. It is OK to create own ecosystem, but for now MS created ecosystem on Mars for people from Earth. To be a good player they should be compatible with almost everything. Like the standard windows.

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
1. File Manager available to end-user, allow us to move all types of saved files and multimedia freely within the phone and out.

2. Integrated Flash in Internet Explorer, akin to the solution used in Windows RT.

3. Ability to out video and audio via HDMI

4. VPN and ability to change DNS settings

5. Energon, I want my Autobot, Lumiron

bmaclean1

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
Navigation: WP8 Navigation is light years behind Android. With old Android phone I would hold down microphone button and day "Navigate to Starbucks near Lincoln and Scottsdale Road". That was it, and I would get great turn by turn navigation to the destination.

With Windows, I have to 1. Start bing maps, 2. Screw around with getting the EXACT wording that bing wants 3. Open the little flag on he map which often means looking at a bunch of false targets. 4. Click "Drive", 5 Choose my App, 6. Wait for the thing to start. I often have to pull over or wait for a light to start navigation with WP8

erwine

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
What WP needs to succeed is not only the innovative enterprise Nokia, but also a highly motivated Microsoft. That's the problem. The extremely slow development of WP features is absolutely devastating. MS has to awake from its sleep. I recommended WP to hundreds of friends, I do not do it anymore due to the lack of innovation by the part of MS. Microsofts problems are not only limited to WP, they show up in all fields where they evidently do not listen to their customers. Not with Win 8, not with Xbox, not with WP.. Ballmer has to be removed from the top of that company. He lacks inspiration you need at this level. There is nothing but confusion.
Written by somebody who uses WP since three years, Windows since 20 years and Xbox since 8 years.

Last edited:

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
The Amber 2.0 changelog does not include Lock rotation, how long will MS take to implement such a simple feature yet very useful for many folks like myself and others?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos