03-31-2015 08:35 AM
1,307 ... 4546474849 ...
tools
    However, I find it kinda lame having to hit X to close them. Why can't we just swipe to dismiss as well? Instead of swiping sideways like Android, here it can be swiping vertically.
    I think we should reconsider the overwhelming desire to do something else just to be different from iOS & Android. It seems that the the desired goal for a lot of the WP fans here is to NOT be like the others, even when the way the other do it makes more sense. Things tend to gravitate toward the most practical solution (WP seemingly being an exception too many times!). Old timers will tell you that cars nowadays all look the same. And you know what? They're right. Auto manufacturers all ended up at the same basic design, largely because of aerodynamics. If it has practical reasons, they'll all do it. Not to copy each other, but because it's the best way.

Face it, hitting the little X is a pain like you said. Swiping is logical, since mobile devices are based on gestures. iOS & Android swipe to close apps. You see the value in it, but you think swiping vertically should be done to differentiate from Android? For one thing, swiping vertically is not as easy. And for another thing, you'd have to swipe further. However, it would still be better than the X. And in reality, if you turn an Android in landscape you swipe vertically!
    Last edited by tgp; 01-31-2014 at 08:55 AM.
    Kashan Osama likes this.
    01-31-2014 08:13 AM
    Custom Ringtone from Music.
    The dissapearing keyboard problem, of course.
    01-31-2014 09:20 AM
    I think we should reconsider the overwhelming desire to do something else just to be different from iOS & Android. It seems that the the desired goal for a lot of the WP fans here is to NOT be like the others, even when the way the other do it makes more sense. Things tend to gravitate toward the most practical solution (WP seemingly being an exception too many times!). Old timers will tell you that cars nowadays all look the same. And you know what? They're right. Auto manufacturers all ended up at the same basic design, largely because of aerodynamics. If it has practical reasons, they'll all do it. Not to copy each other, but because it's the best way.

Face it, hitting the little X is a pain like you said. Swiping is logical, since mobile devices are based on gestures. iOS & Android swipe to close apps. You see the value in it, but you think swiping vertically should be done to differentiate from Android? For one thing, swiping vertically is not as easy. And for another thing, you'd have to swipe further. However, it would still be better than the X. And in reality, if you turn an Android in landscape you swipe vertically!
    I don't really care. Hit "X" like in old Windows (and like in IE in WP)? Fine. Swipe DOWN like in Modern UI in Windows 8.1? Fine with me too. Who cares, really? Can we just agree that having to click "Back" button over and over again to close out was the worst solution ever? :D
    mpt15 and Sakitumi like this.
    01-31-2014 11:33 AM
    Custom Ringtone from Music.
    The dissapearing keyboard problem, of course.
    custom ringtone from music can be done using Nokia Ringtone Maker app.
    Sakitumi likes this.
    01-31-2014 11:38 AM
    Notification Center
    Ghost Notifications
    Quick Settings
    Voice Assistant
    Separate Volume Levels
    A proper Calendar app
    Built-in stopwatch/timer
    Built-in flashlight
    Ability to send and answer sms from computer
    API for video/music upload
    System-wide speech recognition in EVERY message box
    Bed-time mode (if I plug it in at 11pm, I want it to be silent till 7am)
    More accent colors
    The possibility to make ALL tiles the same color
    Backgrounds (just because it would'nt hurt anybody)
    Another tile size (3*2 maybe)
    More customization for IE
    Better facebook integration
    A structured(!!!) settings menu!!! This is embarrassing!
    A clean App Store! You can't find any official apps within all these fake apps! Quality, not quantity!

WhatsApp integration would be so nice, but this is very unlikely
    01-31-2014 11:51 AM
    custom ringtone from music can be done using Nokia Ringtone Maker app.
    I mean Built-in. I own a HTC 8X device and I don't have the app.
    01-31-2014 12:00 PM
    I mean Built-in. I own a HTC 8X device and I don't have the app.
    oh. Sorry :-(
    01-31-2014 12:15 PM
    Aside from the things that probably are included in wp 8.1 like
    Notification Center
    Voice Assistant
    Separate Volume Levels

I would happy if they added support for
    Screen mirroring to computer and tv
    Official remote desktop
    Ability to turn on and off many thing things with NFC. Just accept and then all settings are configured as you like.
    See one week at the time in the calendar
    Built-in stopwatch/timer
    Built-in flashlight
    (Last two so I can remove third party apps)

Things that would be cool if they included
    Ability to send and answer sms from computer
    Connect bluetooth keyboards
    Add support to toggle on/download other calendars like name-days or national days or things like that
    Holy mother you're not kidding ... and get rid of the stupid text preview it's driving me insane (like I need help with that?! ... I am missing some sort of VPN / remote desk / phone - computer connection badly! ... And after toggling *off* airplane mode - then back on ~ it turned on my wireless connection ??? ...
    And add more reminders than *just one* for the calendar - please!
    SMART DIALING!
    Alpha Slider in the phone book!
    Alpha Slider in the Music (phone book? - Play list? - Address Book? - Artist List!)
    Gapless Playback - dear heavens - please!!!
    For heaven's sake - meta tags in the photo albums!
    No haptic feedback?!
    OMG - I'm ticking myself off ... I gotta get outta here before I go to the VZW store ... I love the camera ...
    01-31-2014 08:40 PM
    Some remedy for their awful music management. Have had a Nokia 521 for a bit over a month, and can still not reliably transfer a playlist. Seriously, this is as basic as it gets for a smart phone.

The base O/S is fine for me, and I can handle the lack of apps (except for the lack of a decent swipe-type keyboard), but managing music easily is a given with either Android or Apple. When will Microsoft catch up?
    02-01-2014 12:17 PM

Actually main reason I say swipe vertically is due to the fact that the multitask page displays apps in full from left to right. You can't therefore swipe horizontally to dismiss them. Though of course swiping horizontally is easier than vertically.
    02-01-2014 03:01 PM
    I want third party keyboard solutions. SwiftKey is the best app for me on Android. First thing I download on each of my new devices. Longpress for numbers/symbols, advanced auto correct, and intelligent spacing/punctuation. Can't live without it!
    02-01-2014 03:03 PM
    A Calendar with a week and month view
    that you can actually use and view
    dznk, Boris Lozac and Kashan Osama like this.
    02-02-2014 05:12 AM
    Yes, quality is the way to go. I don't mind having less apps than the competition has as long as these are good and quality programs.
    I would add some more features along the way:
    - implement Windows Media Player (with all its features) in WP8;
    - ability to attach any file to an e-mail;
    - VOIP functions;
    - more language support;
    - LED notifications just like on my old Nokia E52;
    - sound profiles...etc.
    If you can think of more...
    02-02-2014 09:03 AM
    Now that this feature (closing apps by X) is present on our phones and long waited for, it is not good enough. Well it suits well, does the job as it was intended.
    I don't want my phone to look like any of the Google's or Apple's ones. If you want those features as they have it, go buy yourself one of those, simple.
    k0de, GizmoEV and MikeSo like this.
    02-02-2014 01:58 PM
    Yes, quality is the way to go. I don't mind having less apps than the competition has as long as these are good and quality programs.
    I would add some more features along the way:
    - implement Windows Media Player (with all its features) in WP8;
    - ability to attach any file to an e-mail;
    - VOIP functions;
    - more language support;
    - LED notifications just like on my old Nokia E52;
    - sound profiles...etc.
    If you can think of more...
    Yes some very basic things of ancient phones are also missing ... Credit goes to great MSFT.... are you able to see your missed call list? Call register here is of primal age... You can never know call history of particular contact also... The thing is of your smartphone is smart enough but not phone enough.
    02-03-2014 03:25 PM
    Yes some very basic things of ancient phones are also missing ... Credit goes to great MSFT.... are you able to see your missed call list? Call register here is of primal age... You can never know call history of particular contact also... The thing is of your smartphone is smart enough but not phone enough.
    you can see missed calls in the call log. Combined call logs have been around even in Symbian.
    For call history of a contact, open the contact card and then swipe to "history". The missed call shows up as "missed call" with the date and time.
    02-03-2014 11:18 PM
    One thing I very much from my android phone is a method for wireless syncing of music. I used to use an app called double twist that worked great. As long as my pc was turned on, I could sync whatever I wanted without issue. Having to plug in anytime I want to sync on my WP is annoying.
    02-04-2014 08:20 PM
    One other thing, which really jumped out at me yesterday (and which has been discussed here before), is the need for a "bedside mode" where you can allow certain calls through that might be very important, but block everything else while you are sleeping. Here is the scenario. My wife is a nurse and as such, she works regardless of the weather or the road conditions. Typically if it gets too bad out I get up super early and drive her in and pick her up. Yesterday, it was kind of in between in terms of road conditions so she decided to drive but asked me to keep my phone on in case she needed to call. So now, I am laying there trying to sleep with the phone beeping at me due to e-mails or another call that is not important, all because I cannot block those, while at the same time allowing my wife's call to come through. Result? I got no sleep due to the phone beeping at me every few minutes.

This is a simple thing which could easily be dealt with by the OS, or perhaps via an app. iOS does it. Android does it. There is zero reason that WP should not have this function.
    02-05-2014 09:03 AM
    One other thing, which really jumped out at me yesterday (and which has been discussed here before), is the need for a "bedside mode" where you can allow certain calls through that might be very important, but block everything else while you are sleeping. Here is the scenario. My wife is a nurse and as such, she works regardless of the weather or the road conditions. Typically if it gets too bad out I get up super early and drive her in and pick her up. Yesterday, it was kind of in between in terms of road conditions so she decided to drive but asked me to keep my phone on in case she needed to call. So now, I am laying there trying to sleep with the phone beeping at me due to e-mails or another call that is not important, all because I cannot block those, while at the same time allowing my wife's call to come through. Result? I got no sleep due to the phone beeping at me every few minutes.

This is a simple thing which could easily be dealt with by the OS, or perhaps via an app. iOS does it. Android does it. There is zero reason that WP should not have this function.
    I had that on my old SONY ERICSSON! TEN YEARS AGO...!!
    02-05-2014 07:17 PM

While it doesn't have a simple switch or bedside mode you can just go into settings | ringtones+sounds and set texts, voicemail, email, and reminders to "none" and then only phone calls make noise.
    02-05-2014 07:47 PM
    i haven't read the whole thread:
    things which WP needs to success.

• Notification Center
    • Custom Ringtones and Silders
    • Customizable Livetiles -> Music Livetile can switch song for example
    • Add support for 3rd party keyboards
    • allow user to use background images
    • customizesable tiles -> more options (i want this tile in green and this in yellow)
    • advantages of win RT -> Fileexplorer, user accounts and maybe for big devices to seperate apps -> mulittasking
    • VPN Support

this are things which i know just by watching at the phone in a store, since i haven't yet got mine.
    02-06-2014 09:03 AM
    Seriously needs the ability to save phone numbers to the phone using the phone dialer while the user is in a call... I am able to type the numbers but the save option is not available, and when i end the call the whole thing goes away... I believe its a basic necessity a smart phone should have...
    02-06-2014 10:34 AM
    I had that on my old SONY ERICSSON! TEN YEARS AGO...!!
    Exactly
    02-06-2014 06:50 PM
    While it doesn't have a simple switch or bedside mode you can just go into settings | ringtones+sounds and set texts, voicemail, email, and reminders to "none" and then only phone calls make noise.
    Yep. A pain to have to deal with each one though rather than flipping one simple switch. In addition, unimportant calls or non-emergency calls from people you definitely don't want to get woken up by (wrong numbers, etc.) still get through in that scenario.
    02-06-2014 06:55 PM
    Seriously needs the ability to save phone numbers to the phone using the phone dialer while the user is in a call... I am able to type the numbers but the save option is not available, and when i end the call the whole thing goes away... I believe its a basic necessity a smart phone should have...
    If you are needing to enter a number and save it while on a call all you need to do is hit the home button then go into the People hub and add a new contact.
    justusfernz likes this.
    02-06-2014 10:58 PM
1,307 ... 4546474849 ...