(Official) What WP needs to succeed

SteveISU

Sep 26, 2006
Visit site
Re: What WP8 Is Still Missing

Why can't Bing recognize tracking numbers? I paste a tracking number in google search and it provides me a link to track, Bing gives me nothing?

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site

Unless I don't understand your issue, you just tap on the left side of the message (or emails) and select everything you want to get rid of
This can;t be done to individual messages in an SMS thread. Rather, I can delete a single message, one by one, or I can delete them all. What I can't do is select five messages within the given thread and delete those five messages as one deletion task.

matrixcruiser

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

Beside the mentioned problems i would like to point out my annoyances of WP8:
- Volume
- not being able to download things like mp3 in IE
- no data volume tracker
- better way to manage my music
- HID support. No Bluetooth keyboard in 2012... a shame when thinking of the office feature( oh wait... i think MS left this out to get things done not to perfect... as always)
- grouping of apps in the full app list. Something i miss, especially if i don't remember the name of the app i need
- better way to close apps
- store with more search options (like recent or something because i like to decide by my self which app fits me)

retyler

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site

5) Separate Volume controls for each application (calling, music etc)

This has become the biggest annoyance for me on the WP8. Whenever I play a game I have to turn the volume down which effects the volume for the ringer, so I end up missing calls because I don't hear the phone ring. At a minimal I want a seperate volume for the ringer, applications, music, and listening to phone calls.

The sync of music and photos use to be my biggest gripe, but I just don't use them anymore because I got fed up with it. I use to have one folder with my pictures in it, and now I have somewhere around 8 folders with some of them being dups for SkyDrive. Whoever desigened the syncing should be fired; what a horrible mess.

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site

This thread makes me yearn for my Android.
-The Play Store felt so much better organized and of course has way more options.
-Both Chrome and the Android browser are actually functional: back and forward buttons, don't have to choose between showing only refresh or only tabs or only bookmarks alongside the address bar.
-a ton of mobile sites just don't work with IE. Swallow your pride and switch to web kit, Microsoft! (or Google: stop being dbags and make your apps available on WP)
-No chrome to phone app (not even an IE to phone ability)
-as mentioned: separate volumes for system and music
-keyboard isn't so great. I find the autocorrect lags which is REALLY frustrating, I.e. If I type a word too quickly but make an error I'll often be on the next word already with no option to correct the word. Also, no predictive abilities like SwiftKey has.
-No gesture typing (e.g. Swype). Makes one handed typing actually possible. And now android 4.2 has it built in.
-no real time battery monitoring or way to look at what is using battery
-no notification center (yes I know we're promised a fix)
-no built in quick access to settings
-no way to download pdfs or other files from email

The most vexing among these are the sorry state of IE and the subpar keyboard.

This all upsets me. Before I got my Lumia 920, I was all about touting how WP had finally reached parity with iOS and Android, but I was wrong. Microsoft, please step it up: the Nexus 4 is already on my xmas list...

I agree highly with the ones in bold. Ive heard many say IE is great, but sorry, it may not be horrible, but its not great. Especially when youve used other mobile browsers on Android.

A one touch Tile for different settings like Wifi and Brightness would be awesome. I hate having to go to settings to toggle these. Give devs the ability to create a Tile for these settings so you can toggle the options just by tapping the Tile.

Downloading attachments is another big one. Id really like the ability to download any file attachment no matter the type, and save it to a folder on the phone. That way I can access this when I connect the phone to my computer.

inside man 55

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Here is what I have:

1) Group related apps into custom live tiles, like folders in Android
2) App store should let you know if something is installed already without clicking app
3) Ability to add % of battery remaining, like iOS, plus ability of battery status live tiles to update faster than 30 min. Seeing what is eating battery would also be very useful.
4) Ability to cleanly exit apps, IE is a mess
5) Comprehensive notification center
6) Ability to highlight, copy and paste entire sections of text
7) IE: reworking of tabs to make them easier to access plus support for gestures
8) A functional alarm clock, the standard Android alarm has way more customization ability than the 920
9) ability to toggle vibrate using volume keys
10) better integration of voice
11) customizable ring tones by person, customizable sound settings by app
12) arrow pad on keyboard

More of these are small gripes, I still love the phone and interface. With the above things would be even better.

Casen Densmore

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site

Here is what I have:

1) Group related apps into custom live tiles, like folders in Android
2) App store should let you know if something is installed already without clicking app
3) Ability to add % of battery remaining, like iOS, plus ability of battery status live tiles to update faster than 30 min. Seeing what is eating battery would also be very useful.
4) Ability to cleanly exit apps, IE is a mess
5) Comprehensive notification center
6) Ability to highlight, copy and paste entire sections of text
7) IE: reworking of tabs to make them easier to access plus support for gestures
8) A functional alarm clock, the standard Android alarm has way more customization ability than the 920
9) ability to toggle vibrate using volume keys
10) better integration of voice
11) customizable ring tones by person, customizable sound settings by app
12) arrow pad on keyboard

More of these are small gripes, I still love the phone and interface. With the above things would be even better.

I agree with all of these. While small gripes individually, if they fixed all these issues, it would be huge.

I would also like to add:
1) A better music app. I am trying to get used to Xbox Music (tried it free for 30 days) but I am just not getting used to it. I need my spotify back.
2) Vibration intensity option. It is so loud at night it scares the **** out of me, but would like to still hear it in case someone calls.
3) To add to voice integration - this would be incredibly useful for nokia drive
4) Better universal search - I want to be able to type the beginning of a song or app and have it immediately listed and matched instead of having to hit search first. Autocompete
5) Better way to manage open apps.

lancguy

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site

Oh it does do that in messages! I knew that it worked in email (thanks to the usage tip W8 gave me), but I didn't know it worked in messages. Thanks for the tip.

lancguy

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site

I've been using my 920 for a couple of weeks and I have a few (some have already been posted)

1. An easier way to migrate google contacts to Hotmail! I gave up and had to enter them all manually again
2. Universal search - search emails, calendars, messages, me app (facebook), open aps, and web
3. DNLA server support in the music ap - why should I have to copy all my music to my phone when I'm home when I can stream it from my NAS?
4. An actual voice assistant that is smart - though I know it'd probably be a data hog.
5. Exiting out is such a pain! The only way to do it is the endless back button, and that sucks if you have ie up and went to a lot of pages. I like the way W8 does it on desktop, just pull down from the top....
6. Which brings me to my final wish, parity across the platforms! Like my last example, I can swipe down from the top to close an ap, but in wp8 I have to hit the back key. I know some features aren't applicable...like charms or task switching (I like the way WP8 does it better for the form factor) but they can make all the devices behave similarly with similar gestures.

Mohanad11

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site

#Some Backgrounds for the start screen

#Making the logos colored such as the Calls or Messaging , not only white or black

#Trying to add a small Desktop that can hold your apps better than it's in the List

Thanks

inside man 55

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
The question now becomes who is going to compile this list and send it Microsoft and Nokia? Otherwise, to expect someone in a position of power to follow this thread would be asking too much. If no one else volunteers I do after a day.

inside man 55

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I agree with all of these. While small gripes individually, if they fixed all these issues, it would be huge.

I would also like to add:
1) A better music app. I am trying to get used to Xbox Music (tried it free for 30 days) but I am just not getting used to it. I need my spotify back.
2) Vibration intensity option. It is so loud at night it scares the **** out of me, but would like to still hear it in case someone calls.
3) To add to voice integration - this would be incredibly useful for nokia drive
4) Better universal search - I want to be able to type the beginning of a song or app and have it immediately listed and matched instead of having to hit search first. Autocompete
5) Better way to manage open apps.
Agree with 2-5, I don't use #1 so I can't comment.

Mark Szymanski

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Re: Repeat Alerts / Reminders for Missed SMS, Voicemail, Calls

It's hard to look at your phone when you're asleep. We need sms text alerts that will wake you up especially when you are on-call !

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium