(Official) What WP needs to succeed

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Just to let you know, WP8 does allow you to see previews of texts,, if you have the tile being at it's largest state. I would be, as well, if you have multiple texts it wouldn't just show one or a number, but cycle through them. And probably the same for emails.
Better than I initially thought, but it sounds like it is still just one text at a time, right? At that point I may as well still just open my texts and see who is texting me what, no?

As well, i heard call blocking is a feature, but we won't know until we have the phone. But battery saver mode does stop all applications besides text and calls.

I live on the east coast, while my friends and family are on the west. Sometimes they forget that 10pm for them is 1am for me! When my wife wakes up at 4am to get ready for work, getting an annoyingly loud text at 1am really sucks. The feature you speak of sounds like it is halfway there. I'll take it, but ask for a few more user definable parameters.

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I just wish the app development rapidly increases for WP8 and by next year WP8 should have all major apps and should have exclusive release before the other OS

I personally hate exclusives. I think it actually hurts app sales in general. There are a lot of apps, particularly games, that are "fad" apps. That is to say the app does incredibly well for 6 months because everyone is playing it, and then people drop it. It's going to be hard to convince exclusives JUST for WP when they have lower marketshare than RIM, a company that most have written off as dead/dying. To top that off, the way they are doing device exclusives, such as Angry Birds Roost is ridiculous too. We have so few people using the platform, we shouldn't be aiming to divide them. But if I want Roost now, I go with Nokia. If I want words with friends without ads, I go TMO. The kicker is none of the apps are good enough (IMO) to really sway anyone (over the age of ten) one way or the other, but what they do do is frustrate people who bought into the brand (MS/WP).

Wevenhuis

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I think I'm probably biased, because windows phone 8 isn't selling yet in the Netherlands, but what I'm probably going to miss is full Bing search, local scout and tell me support for the Netherlands. Although advertised as provided, we still don't have full support in the Netherlands. I hope microsoft seriously invests in international support for this as we buy, essentially, into an incomplete product....not as advertised. I think I speak for other countries as well. In that regard I'm hoping that full windows phone 8 feacture support will be provided. Sad, really, the most basics of missing.

caliborn

Nov 14, 2009
Visit site
This thread saddens me.....none of you have WP8 devices or had a chance to test drive the OS and here you are already complaining about what's missing......can you re visit this topic when the damn devices/OS is in your hands please?

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I wish you could just download mp3 files to your phone not just stream them. Not needing the use of the zune software.

Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
This thread saddens me.....none of you have WP8 devices or had a chance to test drive the OS and here you are already complaining about what's missing......can you re visit this topic when the damn devices/OS is in your hands please?

I see where you are coming from, but at the same tie, there are a handful of things that were mentioned here that are CONFIRMED missing. It's hard to argue that I need to have the device in my hand to comment when I know there are features that my other phones have that WP8 doesn't.

wpoblation

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
1. Independent Volume Controls - People have been asking for this since WP7. There is no downside on adding this. If there is a Microsoft Manager that is blocking this, tell that manager to pack up and leave.
2. Call Blocking
3. Support for other Browsers (though I can see why MSFT won't allow this).
4. Improve IE 10. Add open in background tab (UC Browser can do it). How about an IE start page with tiles of your favorite websites?
5. Haptic feedback.

Last edited:

trivor

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
It's kind of sad that you have to use iTunes (see Winsupersite.com) in order to get full podcast support. Both iOS and Android have OTA podcast apps/support (no tethering required).

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Actually, just got the latest update to Xbox Music, it sounds like I got gapless playback :eek: - just played a Girls Aloud album that you need the gapless playback to flow seamlessly from the intro to the main song. I forgot where the intro ended because it was that smooth a transition. Sounds good. You might get your gapless playback on WP8 then. We shall see.

stui83

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
I need WP8 to have the ability to switch to Windows RT via a live tile or something. I.e. a dual-bootable device so to speak.

MS should enable this before we see 5inch Windows RT phablets next year which can dual-boot to Android phones.

stui83

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
Dual-boot (switchable) WP8 and Windows RT

I need WP8 to have the ability to switch to Windows RT via a live tile or something. I.e. a dual-bootable device so to speak.

MS should enable this before we see 5inch Windows RT phablets next year which can dual-boot to Android phones.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site

xVWGR.gif

stimshady

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Actually, just got the latest update to Xbox Music, it sounds like I got gapless playback :eek: - just played a Girls Aloud album that you need the gapless playback to flow seamlessly from the intro to the main song. I forgot where the intro ended because it was that smooth a transition. Sounds good. You might get your gapless playback on WP8 then. We shall see.
Did you manage to test the gapless on any other albums? would be good to know if this has (finally) been sorted...

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Did you manage to test the gapless on any other albums? would be good to know if this has (finally) been sorted...

Not yet, but I do have access to a Dragonforce album that does the same thing as the Girls Aloud album. Can give it a try tonight. Let's see if Xbox Music can go 2-0 up on me...

EDIT: One all! I wasn't fooled with the Dragonforce album! It seems to be crossfade-gapless playback... not the same Xbox Music...

Last edited:

caliborn

Nov 14, 2009
Visit site
I see where you are coming from, but at the same tie, there are a handful of things that were mentioned here that are CONFIRMED missing. It's hard to argue that I need to have the device in my hand to comment when I know there are features that my other phones have that WP8 doesn't.

WP8 wasn't meant to be like the other OS's(if that were the case they would've just created another glorified app launcher) so you don't really know if you need them or they may be implemented in a different way.

andrelamont

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
WP8 wasn't meant to be like the other OS's(if that were the case they would've just created another glorified app launcher) so you don't really know if you need them or they may be implemented in a different way.

Just seeking clarification:

You said
"WP8 wasn't meant to be like the other OS's so you don't really know if you need them"

WP wasn't designed to visually look like other mobile OS so you (the user ) won't know if they need a feature?

It sounds like you are saying WP was designed to hide features that users were looking for?

The previous user ( at a high level view ) makes a good point. I don't have to a product in my hand to determine if its missing something.

I can read about my next car and make a determination if I want the car if it has a rear-camera or iPod/USB Audio integration. I don't believe I have to test drive the car when the marketing material clearly says it doesn't have the feature.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99