(Official) What WP needs to succeed

goldencrater

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
.wav playback is broken.

Our phone system runs Asterisk. Voice mail comes with a .wav attachment (PCM and GSM encoding available and tried ) I could play them on WP7 but not WP8.

goldencrater

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I found that on Windows8 the phone mounts as a drive. Copy music to:
Computer\MyLumia920\Phone\Music\{artist}\{album}

Drop a jpg in there too (folder.jpg seems to work) to get album art.

Not sure if it does that also in Windows7.

Panu16

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I dislike the space between the top system status area (cell connection, wifi, Bluetooth and clock) and the top tiles. It makes the home screen looks unbalance (to me).

jmeveere007

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
I have had my Lumina 920. Great hardware, easy visibility outside. The single most devastating thing to me right now, is not the lack of apps, but the complete lack of effort to make transitioning from Zune/WP7 to WP8. I use Windows 8, and the xBox Music App, basically plays none of my music, shows half of my playlists, and most are empty. That app doesn't sync with you phone. You have to get the Windows Phone App, which is useless in itself. No difference between Podcasts and Music. And no ability to download Podcasts and Sync with that App either. MS, truly am disappointed. I know many weren't to fond of Zune, but at least it worked. Their should have been a seamless transition from WP7 to WP8, or at least allowing us to continue the use of Zune to sync Media. I have 32 GBs of useless storage until this is fixed. Very very disappointing.

theeboredone

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
Another question about playing music on WP8. I haven't gotten a phone yet, but judging from the Xbox Music samples I've played, can you not skip to a certain point in a song? All I could get was holding the forward button down to skip. I mean, being able to skip via touching the song bar is basic stuff.

davide445

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
A generic SIP client for VoIP calls.

All the mobile OS platforms have some really good SIP client that allow the use of any SIP compliant service, some of them such as my Symbian phone have one already integrated off-the-shelf.

So since many wanted to use the phone to call using any available service (cellular, VoIP) any network (cellular, wifi) and any account (private, public, corporate) this is definitively a feature useful for private and business users.

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Another question about playing music on WP8. I haven't gotten a phone yet, but judging from the Xbox Music samples I've played, can you not skip to a certain point in a song? All I could get was holding the forward button down to skip. I mean, being able to skip via touching the song bar is basic stuff.

no you can't. I am not sure if this wad a patent issue or not on terms of "scrubbing". Slightly annoying, I agree.

Dethzilla

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
No... you don't get it. I am on call for my job 24 hours a day. Whenever there is an issue with the environment i support (the 2nd largest private network in the United States), I get a message... each message is sent with a unique ID. I get lots and lots of messages... lots and lots of new threads. I can't delete them immediately... but when I can... it's usually about 2-300 messages... sometimes from a single problem. So... no. I will not get over it. It's a simple feature... they need to add it.

And for the record... my wife knows my passcode to my phone and we both have each others emails as live tiles on our lumias. I've been married for 12 years. ;)

So I've been meaning to come back.. yeah... Microsoft totally has that functionality in Windows 8... so multiple thread deletion is no longer a problem. Simple click to the left of a message and it opens up check boxes to select multiple threads. Works in email and messaging and all in all it's pretty slick. Good Job Microsoft.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
May be I didn't understand the OP's question but do you mean feature wise or overall?

Feature-wise I can't say much as I don't have a WP8.
But overall this:
Aggressive marketing of key features.
Brand visibility everywhere
Make your product synonymous to ONE, just ONE word (I would say Simplicity, if that's not already taken.)
Specs. Good specs. Latest specs. Specs specs.

Sent from my RaZr HD.

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
May be I didn't understand the OP's question but do you mean feature wise or overall?

Feature-wise I can't say much as I don't have a WP8.
But overall this:
Aggressive marketing of key features.
Brand visibility everywhere
Make your product synonymous to ONE, just ONE word (I would say Simplicity, if that's not already taken.)
Specs. Good specs. Latest specs. Specs specs.

Sent from my RaZr HD.

I was referring to features. If features are there, users will come. But those are some good points nonetheless. :)

rolphus

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried the nokia music app? Is that gapless?

I've just tried this. The Nokia music app on my Lumia 920 also doesn't do gapless. It also doesn't have any facility to "fast forward", either by scrubbing through the track (also not in music+videos), or by holding the "next track" button (which works in music+videos).

I've had my Lumia 920 for a total of an hour, and I'm already considering taking it back. 80% of the music I listen to is "seamless", from DJ mixes to film scores to live albums. I will not put up with losing a basic music playback facility I've had since my Rio Karma MP3 player in 2005.

addicusbrown

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I have gapless music playback on my hacked HD2 and stock HD7. The same for podcasts. I use stereo Bluetooth headphones that control the rewind, fast forward, pause perfectly and stop the music when a call comes in and restarts it when the call is completed. Yes I converse through the headphones also.

shinygerbil

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
You have gapless playback on your stock HD7? I would love to see some evidence for this...in nearly 2 years of using my HD7 I never found a way to activate/achieve gapless playback.

I'm looking at getting some Bluetooth stereo headphones - but I find it hard to believe that these would magically solve playback issues.

rolphus

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Re: Any confirmation on Gapless music playback and inline controls

You have gapless playback on your stock HD7? I would love to see some evidence for this...in nearly 2 years of using my HD7 I never found a way to activate/achieve gapless playback.

I'm looking at getting some Bluetooth stereo headphones - but I find it hard to believe that these would magically solve playback issues.

I had a go at this, playing over Bluetooth to my car. iPhone is fine, plays gaplessly. Lumia 920 has gaps.

shinygerbil

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site

Well, exactly as expected then! I'm tempted to see if I can get a response out of Belfiore on Twitter; he seems to be receiving and replying to a lot of feature requests/bugs being tweeted at him.

benryder

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site

Sorry to throw a little spanner in here, but on my 8X using Xbox Music I have had gapless playback. I was streaming the American Idiot album by Greenday and it plays through without pauses/gaps/silence.

Ben.

HerronScott

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Re: What WP8 Is Still Missing

So I've been meaning to come back.. yeah... Microsoft totally has that functionality in Windows 8... so multiple thread deletion is no longer a problem. Simple click to the left of a message and it opens up check boxes to select multiple threads. Works in email and messaging and all in all it's pretty slick. Good Job Microsoft.

Great as I have the same issue when we get alerting storms. Doesn't happen often but a real pain to delete 100+ text alerts. Now my biggest gripe is apparently they did not include customizable notification tones in WP8? I really want to use an alarm tone for text messages when I'm on call to be sure it wakes me.

Scott

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss