(Official) What WP needs to succeed

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Re: (Official) Why I don't like WP8 Part 2 (What WP needs to succeed)

Lol I just got flamed by an administrator! I'm not emotional or insulting to you. North am I angry, I actually got a chuckle out of this. Are you going to infraction/suspend/ban me, or debate?

?! :eck: If I agree with you I am flaming you now? Hmm

surfwashingtabs

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
If WP8 doesn't get these features, I doubt I'll be using Windows Phone 9

Having purchased numerous WP7/WP8 handsets, it's been a rewarding, frustrating and interesting experience. As with any "new" platform, being an early adopter is usually an active choice, but now Windows Phone is becoming more established, and Microsoft keep reiterating their long-term intentions and goals, it's time for Windows Phone to get serious, and add functionality.

Now, I buy each phone for what it's like out of the box, but also, in the case of Windows Phone, to see and use the platform as it develops. But to me the update process and functionality expansion is taking too long. In retrospect, WP7 should have shipped with many of the features in WP8, and really WP8 should have many of the following. It's a shame, but as with not being able to delete PDF files - with WP it's two steps forward, one step back.

Here's what I'd like to be added to WP8, before the release of Windows Phone 9:

-Ability to delete downloaded PDF files

-Notification light support (Make this user/OEM optional, and fully functional. Different colours for different types of notification, user configurable, with for instance 5 applications - Email, SMS, Twitter, Facebook, Phone etc)

-USB audio out, standard across all devices (docking heaven)

-Drag down music controls over currently open app to change artist/browse collection etc, drag back up when done

-A well implemented notification system - but allow the ability for users to turn off certain applications from accessing the hub/feed - and to filter by specific applications or notifications

-Rotation lock

-Pin settings/Toggle tiles (Natively built in ability to pin settings, such as WIFI to the home screen, which come with a toggle on them to enable/disable and tap to enter the settings page)

-More tile colours/Start screen backgrounds (Perhaps some akin to those in Windows 8, or slightly moving ones - dreamscene-esk )

-Improved multitasking - closing applications should be easier and more fluid, double pressing the back key twice is a bit of an annoyance. Let's have gestures, or something, instead.

-Phone profiles - under settings, allow user customisable profile settings, which can be cycled through with the current ringer+vibrate button

-Custom text/email/notification sounds - or just add a lot more

-Ability to remove emotions from text messaging, there are so many now, and I don't want to use them - can I turn them off and have the WP7 keyboard back please

-Pull down gesture from the top of the screen to access toggles/system information/mobile settings etc - fits both with the "glance and go" philosophy of WP and Windows 8.

-Integrated "counters" - let me see call time, text and data usage, as well as where who numbers are made up from, integrated with the OS, with live tile support of remaining allowances

-Improve the sync experience dramatically, use Windows Media Player, or improve the Windows 8 Xbox Music application, but do something other than current options (but keep drag and drop too)

-More control over OS settings - enable always on music controls on the lock screen

-Screensavers - showing time/clock or SMS/email/call notifications (this would be really nice) - although battery life may be an issue, have it user configurable and hey presto.

-Ability to password protect any application

-Allow the removal of OS features, such as Office, Kids Corner etc to save space

-Use the start screen/lock screen in LANDSCAPE - then maybe we may see some more successful qwerty hardware

-Call block (I mean seriously!)

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Re: If WP8 doesn't get these features, I doubt I'll be using Windows Phone 9

Have you tried adding all these on UserVoice as suggestions in past two years when you've tried numerous WP7 and WP8 devices?

Leagan Gmt

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site

Using HTC X8 now, realized that the previous build in panorama and scene function in camera has been removed?! no more FM radio as well.. my previous HTC Radar have that :(
Besides, the brightness is still too bright in HTC X8 even though I had adjusted the brightness to the lowest..
Other than speed, sms backup and file sending via bluetooth, my previous HTC Radar seem to have better sound quality and nicer screen color display than the current HTC X8, is the problem with WP8 or HTC X8?? seem like it is downgrading.. :(

fifthGear

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site

Settings
- Have the settings tile display the current state (on/off) of each radio (cell, data, wifi, bluetooth, gps, airplane).
- allow deep linking (tiles) to each of the top-level items in settings.
- Add a new screen in settings (in addition to the current two: settings, applications). This new screen would be the screen taken to when you first open the settings app. It would simply be a list of toggles for each of the radio settings and perhaps a few other common settings options. Alternatively, place these toggles at the top of the main settings screen in the settings app.
- Figure out a way to make tiles interactive like Android Widgets... For ex. perhaps I can long hold on a wifi tile which adds an option in the drop down menu to toggle the state of the wifi radio.

Notifications
- A notification center is an absolute must. Moreover it must be easily accessible (not via tapping an app or tile). If for no other reason than for accessibility. WP has so many features that make it appealing for someone's who's blind (can do most basic tasks by voice), but if a toast notification is missed, a blind person would NEVER be able to see tile counts, hence NEVER be able to access notifications without assistance. A notification center should include accessability option... reread all toasts or something similar.
- If a notification comes in while WP's tell me is still reading a prior notification, tell me ignores the new notification. WP should queue up notifications so that no notification is missed by tell me. The current behavior simply makes the accessability options a joke.

Other
- While I do understand the behavior of the capacitive back button (namely how it doesn't jump to higer level screens if an app has been resumed from the task manager screen), I feel it's confusing and doesn't work well. Make the back button ALWAYS return to a prior screen in the current app, or close the app when tapped from the app's main screen.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site

Most of my list would be a re-hash of posters before me (e.g. notification center, weekly view on calendar, custom alerts). I have to confess that I didn't care too much about having a notification center but agreed that if it was important to other people, then WP needs it. That changed the other day, when I heard and saw from a distance that my phone received a notification. I unlocked my phone and I guess the app that triggered the notification wasn't on my Start screen so I never knew what it was. The notification was gone and I never knew what it was. I suppose I could've gone through all my apps to see which one triggered it but I didn't want to do that at that moment. DISCLAIMER: I'm on WP 7.5 however this problem would've been the same with WP8 if my app wasn't pinned to the Start screen nor added to the notification row.

Last edited:

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site

Most of my list would be a re-hash of posters before me (e.g. notification center, weekly view on calendar, custom alerts). I have to confess that I didn't care too much about having a notification center but agreed that it was important to other people, then WP needs it. That changed the other day, when I heard and saw from a distance that my phone received a notification. I unlocked my phone and I guess the app that triggered the notification wasn't on my Start screen so I never knew what it was. The notification was gone and I never knew what it was. I suppose I could've gone through all my apps to see which one triggered it but I didn't want to do that at that moment. DISCLAIMER: I'm on WP 7.5 however this problem would've been the same with WP8 if my app wasn't pinned to the Start screen nor added to the notification bar icons.

When that happens on my 920, 99% of the time it's the ESPN app with an alert from one of my teams. I finally caught one coming it and realized it shows nowhere on the tile or app.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site

When that happens on my 920, 99% of the time it's the ESPN app with an alert from one of my teams. I finally caught one coming it and realized it shows nowhere on the tile or app.
I read this and quickly checked my app list but I don't have the ESPN app. I checked to see if it was a weather alert or a CNN Breaking News but nope. I noticed that Jenna Marbles posted a new video on YouTube. I'm subscribed to her and have MetroTube on my Start screen so maybe that was it...

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site

Lol I just got flamed by an administrator! I'm not emotional or insulting to you. North am I angry, I actually got a chuckle out of this. Are you going to infraction/suspend/ban me, or debate?

I wouldn't exactly say he was flaming you. Just having a bit of a cheap shot at you with the whole "Finally something you said makes sense." - I'll admit, it may have been uncalled for but I just think that's Dave's dry sense of humour. Don't worry, he won't have meant any offence.

Now, as far as what WP8 needs to grow... Mine goes over to the hardware... flagships should be more like the ATIV S. Good amount of on-board storage (heck, I'd be happy to accept 16GB onboard), but with removable batteries and microSD card slots. Also, where in the blazes did the FM radio go?

eagle628

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site

Better performance in the music hub. If I press play all, there's an incredible lag--at least ten seconds before the song starts playing, and another five to fifteen before the screen starts responding again. Seriously, what's up with that, it's just bad.

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Better performance in the music hub. If I press play all, there's an incredible lag--at least ten seconds before the song starts playing, and another five to fifteen before the screen starts responding again. Seriously, what's up with that, it's just bad.

yea it totally sucks, happens to me too

Juraj82

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site

Hi all,

I'm new here and I don't want to go through all the 8 pages (some of them are old and I'm bit lazy) so will just mention my recent experience with my brand new Nokia Lumia 920

- I read a lot on Kindle and whenever I reopen the app, it loads from scratch. super annoying
- drains so much battery when in flight mode compared to stand by mode - how's that possible?
- font is very unclear on lumia 920 - but I guess that's something MS has to address as the screen has higher res than other phones
- apps are of very poor quality - even the FB app is plain disaster. and I'm not talking looks but the ergonomics and user interface. they can do so much better and MS has shown that
- I'm sure many times mentioned - missing notification area
- the 'toast' (who the **** came up with that name?) can be super annoying and buggy (sometimes don't disappear)
- which brings me to another point - why toast notifications don't disappear when I click on the screen? can be irritating when playing a game or want to just see the time or whatever
- when adjusting volume, it also takes 'ages' for the panel to disappear and can't be sped up
- relying on back button too much in the apps which can be very inconvenient and sometimes confusing (you'll get out of the app in no time. no 'central' menu access)
- search searches web only and not the phone. not very helpful in my case
- when going back to main screen, you always end up at the top
- when playing YT videos, not much control over it (ie quality) AND
- whenever playing music afterwards or any other sounds, there's no sound coming out. not from speakers, not from headphones. have to reset the thing every time. not sure if it's HW or SW here
- inability to close apps - how the **** do I close Skype or even change its status to go offline?? uninstall? reset? (I know it's beta but it's a basic feature)
- music player - as confusing as WMP but getting used to it

Uf, got my frustration out. As a second phone to my iP5 it isn't bad but if it were my primary, it'd be most likely gone by now. However I love some of the features but this thread isn't about them so...

Juraj82

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site

- I didn't know that, thanks
- the font in the apps isn't clear ie facebook. otherwise it's great, no doubt
- what you think about me says more about you than me

tibere86

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

With the majority of people using their phones as mobile music players, how is it Microsoft has not fast tracked an Xbox music match + wireless syncing feature yet? This is the only feature I'm really missing coming from Android/iOS.

travisel

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
I have been using Microsoft Smartphone's for over 6 year's!

- 2006 Motorola MOTO Q 9c "WM5.0"
- 2009 LG IQ GW825 "WM6.5"
- 2012 Samsung ATIV S T899M "WP8"

Each time got 10x better 😎 I think people are looking at it the wrong way? WP8 has just begun and with first big upgrade WP8 to WP8.1 in march all will be good 😎

gmfeld

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site

A few people have noted this. I wonder if that's a device issue. I have the 8X, and when I hit "play" the song starts pretty much instantly. No lag at all.

My criticism is mostly around the bluetooth issue. I no longer get text messages read aloud to me and an ability to speak a reply when driving in my car. I had that on my HTC Titan with 7.5. That's a real step back. Also, I find that when a text message does come in while I'm in my car, not only do I not get it read out loud to me, but it somehow disables all audio (rings, music, etc.) out of my phone, such that I have to restart the phone when I get out of the car.

Other than that, I really have no complaints. Love the OS and love the 8X.

cuzincurly

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
Re: What WP8 Is Still Missing

Swype or the little x to close
Easier way to create playlists
Better facebook and twitter integration (I can't seem to like comments)

That's it for now. I think I'm one of the few who loves the keyboard and no fuss volume control

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre