(Official) What WP needs to succeed

chasevishnu

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Re: IE needs drastic improvements

You can use UC Web Browser if you want. The UI is good with tons of more features. Is a bit slower than IE. But will compensate for that with its extensive features. I personally use IE only.

travisel

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
I want WP8 to do everything that WM6.5 did!
I can't put apps on my 64GB micoSD card why? WM6.5 you could!
No Bluetooth 4.0/FM Radio? Don't all new Smartphone's come with Bluetooth 4.0?
My old WM6.5 OS had FM Radio in it!
I upgraded from the LG IQ "WM6.5" to Samsung ATIV S "WP8" I skipped Windows Phone 7 Gen all together and still found alot missing in Windows phone 8 that Windows Mobile 6.5 had! WTF Microsoft! 😒

BHFH

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Re: (Official) Why I don't like WP8 Part 2 (What WP needs to succeed)

This might be impossible due to commercial reasons but if Microsoft can integrate hyper-V into WP8, we can use android and iOS apps without waiting for the port.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site

This might be impossible due to commercial reasons but if Microsoft can integrate hyper-V into WP8, we can use android and iOS apps without waiting for the port.
Hyper V is Microsoft's version of VM Ware and is baked into some of the latest server offerings. It's a server/client variant. It's not an o/s emulator.

Ludwig1976

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site

I want WP8 to do everything that WM6.5 did!

Totally agree. WP8 is a giant step backwards compared to WP6.5
Lacking of repetead notifications, optional text message toast, optional resume music playback after a call etc., for example, was already in WM6.5, but there was a lot of apps (SPB Mobile Shell, ReRemind, PocketMusic, etc) you could choose from to obtain such features. :(

schartzr

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site

I have had many times in the last week where Text would not send or receive. I found out that it was cuse my Microsoft account was "Syncing" all the time and Only way to fix was to shut off the phone and leave it off for 30 minutes or more. This is a deal breaker for me. When I need to send a text I need it to go right then. Not in 30+ minutes, So I am going to the Note 2

travisel

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
I have had many times in the last week where Text would not send or receive. I found out that it was cuse my Microsoft account was "Syncing" all the time and Only way to fix was to shut off the phone and leave it off for 30 minutes or more. This is a deal breaker for me. When I need to send a text I need it to go right then. Not in 30+ minutes, So I am going to the Note 2

Not sure what you're talking about? I have 6 account's syncing together with NO problems having delayed text's on my ATIV S WP8! That's just weird 😖

My brother has the Note2.. that phone is huge, heavy and power eating beast! He has to reset that phone all the time why? Android 4.1.2 unstable? Not saying buttery smooth WP8 is perfect...just saying do your research before you buy!
WP8 "Portico" is not = to Android 4.2.2 "Jelly Bean v2" by no means!! Also with features lacking from WP8.

By April it's a new story with WP8.1 vs iOS6.1 vs BB10 vs Android 5.0 "Key Lime Pie" 😎

Last edited:

cuzincurly

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site

I'm beginning to get frustrated with this phone :)) lots of bugs and glitches :/ I still love it anyway

JosephHaubrich93

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
How to Address the Notification Center, on Windows Phone, Debate! A MUST READ!

Probably the biggest debate between Windows Phone Users is the concept of a notification center. Split right down the middle, one side believes it is vital and necessary to have while the other side doesn't want to stray away from the concept of live tiles. So how should Microsoft fix this problem? I give you the best possible way of addressing this heated debate that will make everyone happy. First off, Microsoft must create a notification center built right into the OS. An idea seen all around WP forums is, from the start screen, wipe from left to right to bring up a notification center. This is one idea that will be used for this demonstration. WP is built around the idea of being a "unique fingerprint" and being very "customizable", and this is where I'm sure everyone will be happy. Give the Notification Center a settings section with four options. The first will be to enable all apps to display their notifications in the Notification Center. The second option will be to enable all apps that are not pinned to the start screen to display notifications in the Notification Center. The third option will enable the user to choose which apps he or she wants displayed in the Notification Center by presenting a list of all installed apps, from built in apps like messaging and email to third party ones like twitter and draw something, where the user can individually select which ones they want displayed in the Notification Center. And the fourth and final option will be to completely "disable" the Notification Center. Just like kids corner, if it is disabled, it will not display at all so swiping from the left will do nothing just like our phones do now. This concept, in my opinion, will adhere to everyone in this debate. For those who desire a fully functional Notification Center, they got it. For those who want to choose only the apps not pinned or select specific apps to be displayed in the Notification Center, they got it. And for those who want to fully retain the concept of live tiles by not having s notification center at all, they got it. I hope that all you great WP users out there read this and also agree this is a great way of addressing the Notification Center issue. Microsoft needs to read this and by all means use this idea!

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Re: How to Address the Notification Center, on Windows Phone, Debate! A MUST READ!

Read the first and last sentences, the rest dissolved into a wall of text! Not sure what the idea was but MS is unlikely to read it here, try Microsoft answers.

BeaverJuicer

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Re: How to Address the Notification Center, on Windows Phone, Debate! A MUST READ!

No offense, but Microsoft already said they were working on developing something, and just ran out of time to get it in to the release. This leads me to believe that any further debate on this topic is moot, because they are already in development and are unlikely to go back to the drawing board because someone posted yet another forum thread about it.

rdjward

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

My idea: Notification center left of Home as you've mentioned but can be accessed direct from lock-screen by swiping down rather than up.

wpwaukesha

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site

I find the whole notification center mute. That's what the live tiles are for. Place and size the Facebook, Twitter, SMS, email tile to your liking, bingo notification center. I think that most consumers are used to having it because of Android and iOS. It's more efficient in my opinion to have the tiles. Instead of "pulling" down a notification menu, just touch a tile, or go into the People Hub. Android and iOS is app driven, and since those platforms are based on the quality of their devices on the quantity of apps, WP8 is based on user experiences, meaning how easily can a user post on Facebook to make a tweet or share something on a social network without going through the trouble of launching an app? In a WP8 environment there's no need to continually launch apps, those functions are embedded into the OS. I love the People Hub, it lets me know what's going on with my friends and colleagues within several different social accounts all at once. I can comment and post as well all from within People Hub. So why do we need a notification bar/menu? I don't get it.

wpwaukesha

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site

My idea: Notification center left of Home as you've mentioned but can be accessed direct from lock-screen by swiping down rather than up.

Isn't feature on the new Blackberry 10?

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Jesus. Don't you guys know about punctuation.

E Lizzle

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site

It's like half the people involved in this debate don't seem to understand that notifications can be generated by apps NOT pinned to start. It's also possible to receive more notifications than will fit on a live tile. It's just insane to think that live tiles replace a central notification event list.

rdjward

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

Wow I thought I just came up with that? Maybe I watched a BB10 video and subconciously it sank in...

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site

It's like half the people involved in this debate don't seem to understand that notifications can be generated by apps NOT pinned to start. It's also possible to receive more notifications than will fit on a live tile. It's just insane to think that live tiles replace a central notification event list.
Not unless your notifications are all recorded on a live tile that expands when you tap on it.

My opinion, but it's possible that Microsoft wanted to offer a notifications centre in a manner that fully complies with Windows Phone's user paradigm. I don't think putting another horizontal slide on the main-screen would be as difficult as perhaps maintaining the current order - but still offering the centre.

They might be doing something more elaborate, something that makes effective use of the live tiles but can also interface with the lock screen. On the other hand, having an option in the lock screen would force people to choose between different utility apps, e.g. you'd have to take down Weather Flow or Facebook in order to see your notifications on the lock screen.

So the other option would be to offer something that includes weather, perhaps stocks as well as notifications within one cohesive app, and in turn, allow that app to present all of that info on the lock-screen (at user's direction). They can go a few steps further and integrate Bing Wallpapers to it as well. Or, they could do something akin to Kid's Corner where you slide horizontally from lock...or something crazier where you have multiple layers on the lock screen, allowing each layer to be occupied by a different app.

When all of these options are on the table, and if they're serious about avoiding a half-assed attempt, things like this can take time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)