(Official) What WP needs to succeed

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
windows phone need to prove some good games as android and ios . They need to provide some good games as free , all the boring games are in free and all the good games are paid .

In windows some apps have some bugs , for eg: wats app sucks in windows 8 when compared to android .

i have one doubt windows 8 has good free games in computer and the same games are paid in phone ,it's seriously a crap . Windows need to provide good features to their users other wise every one will move towards android and they also need to provide a file manager so that we can delete the cache and temp files .

The forthcoming update allows us to delete temporary files

ally42

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
Re: (Official) Why I don't like WP8 Part 2 (What WP needs to succeed)

I love my wp8, I really do but some missing (sometimes basic) features are driving me crazy :
What I really need to be updated :
1) not being able to edit content when I want to forward a email. I forward a lot of emails everyday, but I can NOT just send them as they are; Some contents are for my eyes only. Not for my clients or other colleagues.
2) not being able to attach a file other than a picture when I want to answer an email. another big turn off to me. I have to go to the office hub, choose the "share" option, create a new email...Not pratical at all.
3) xbox music + video. I've spent a lot of time on organising my music datas. I want to be able to connect to xbox music without my metadatas being edited and in the end messed up because lot of informations are wrong. Also, need a trackbar asap for both the music and when I watch a video on youtube without using Metrotube.
4) Audio settings.need different settings for tones and music.
5) Some sort of night mode. I need to be on call. But i'd like to turn off notification sounds when I sleep. It seems this feature will arrive with the blue update. Yay.
6) IE need a fwd button and an exit option. Going back to close it is not good at all. I'd like to close it and when I open it again, be on the page I last was. (I do hope Opera is coming out soon)
7) Store update notifications. Sometimes, I only know about app updates because of WPCentral. Maybe add a "check for updates" while the issue is being fixed.
8) More popular apps. I know this is not a MS issue but wp needs more popular apps such as Instagram (not that I care about it but it one of the most popular social networks...) or a decent facebook one (I mostly use the fb functions that are wp natives BUT I really need one to manage my pages) if they want to reach a broader and bigger audience. Whenever I show my phone to friends/colleagues, they like it but then they ask about whatever app is fancy at the moment and most of the time, I have to answer "err, it's not on marketplace yet". And bam, they lose interest in the phone and its OS.

Last edited:

andraeseus

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site

this phones seems to try and make/force you to interact with a phoen in a adifferent manner. a notification light is important. To be able to take a quick glance and know if you missed a call or something is important. a file manager is important. a way to organize your files is important. basic features that almost every other phone does are important. thats why every other phone does it. MS seems to have watered down or OMMIT certain features ( maybe due to the rush ot get the product out and instead of promising to fix they say "You don't need this or that" well that is just stupid. Find a way to make peoples lives easier not tell them wha they want and don't want.. WE are the subject knoweledge experts on US not MS. I hear people say things like stop thinkin glike android or apple... NO that is stupid why not have a phone that does what they do only better or at least just as good. No one wants a HUGE learning curve ESPECIALLY when doing it the new way isn't easier! that's just stupid

nessinhaw

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
this phones seems to try and make/force you to interact with a phoen in a adifferent manner. a notification light is important. To be able to take a quick glance and know if you missed a call or something is important. a file manager is important. a way to organize your files is important. basic features that almost every other phone does are important. thats why every other phone does it. MS seems to have watered down or OMMIT certain features ( maybe due to the rush ot get the product out and instead of promising to fix they say "You don't need this or that" well that is just stupid. Find a way to make peoples lives easier not tell them wha they want and don't want.. WE are the subject knoweledge experts on US not MS. I hear people say things like stop thinkin glike android or apple... NO that is stupid why not have a phone that does what they do only better or at least just as good. No one wants a HUGE learning curve ESPECIALLY when doing it the new way isn't easier! that's just stupid

i'm so sorry about your limited brain! I was an Android user for a long time...until MS and Nokia caught my attention and i bought a Lumia 620, and unless i'm some unique super genius, i found it surprinsigly easy to use, i quickly got the hand of it and just loved how good and smooth WP8 feels!
Like i said, unless i have a super brain, i'm not the only one who finds it easy to use and has a good experience! Sure there are those who didn't adapt and went back to Android/iOS but thats the difference between them and the apparent limited intelligence of yours and most droid users...they tried! They tried using WP8 and not adapting does not mean it's hard to use - it just didn't suit that person tastes!
Huge learning curve? You make me laugh...i understand people not liking Metro UI or not adapting to it - that's a matter of personal taste - but saying it has a huge learning curve sounds completely ignorant, specially if you never tried a WP device! You people make it sound like trying something different requires a huge amount of effort - which only makes me laugh even more - different not always means difficult!
We all use what suits us better, so if Android or iOS works better for you that's fine! Just don't go saying something has a huge learning curve just because it is different! And surely WP8 lacks some stuff but MS will improve it with time - the OS is not even 6 months old yet - or do you think Android was born as a perfect little thing?

0batman

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site

I don't know what the previous poster is on about, but what andraeseus says makes sense. Simplifying the smartphone experience is great. But instead of omitting common features altogether, the same could have been buried deeper in the UI. That would have allowed people to dig out those features if needed.

It's mostly the same half a dozen common complaints on this thread. If it was a homegrown OS like Symbian, Nokia would've had these things fixed in a month.

ahnkou

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site

Is there any way to mute notifications and stuff when playing music? This drives me up the wall. Is there a better music player out there that does this? I love listening to a soft part of a song in the car with volume at 30/30 and then DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING! i have an email :(

nessinhaw

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site

I don't know what the previous poster is on about, but what andraeseus says makes sense. Simplifying the smartphone experience is great. But instead of omitting common features altogether, the same could have been buried deeper in the UI. That would have allowed people to dig out those features if needed.

It's mostly the same half a dozen common complaints on this thread. If it was a homegrown OS like Symbian, Nokia would've had these things fixed in a month.

i didn't even mention that, i know WP still lacks some features...my rampant was on his claim WP has a huge learning curve...read my post again lol

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site

Is there any way to mute notifications and stuff when playing music? This drives me up the wall. Is there a better music player out there that does this? I love listening to a soft part of a song in the car with volume at 30/30 and then DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING! i have an email :(

Yes, hit volume buttons and then tap on that bell on the right - so no more notification sounds and you can listen music on 30.

ahnkou

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site

Yes, hit volume buttons and then tap on that bell on the right - so no more notification sounds and you can listen music on 30.

Much easier... Still would like a toggleable option, but thanks a ton!

Paarthurnax

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site

On iOS, you control the notification volume if no music (or other means of entertainment like videos or games) is playing and the "second" audio volume while something is playing (or with a volume slider that you can bring up by double-clicking the home button).

I'm sure it's been talked to death, but isn't there even a rumor if a screen orientation lock is coming to Windows phones? Some people find it ridiculous, but I'm honestly absolutely unable to understand why a serious operating system would NOT offer something like this. I'm really puzzled.

And this is indeed the fact I just put the Lumia out of my shopping basket and will continue to stick with my over three year old battered iPhone. What a crazy world.

Gaichuke

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site

On iOS, you control the notification volume if no music (or other means of entertainment like videos or games) is playing and the "second" audio volume while something is playing (or with a volume slider that you can bring up by double-clicking the home button).

I'm sure it's been talked to death, but isn't there even a rumor if a screen orientation lock is coming to Windows phones? Some people find it ridiculous, but I'm honestly absolutely unable to understand why a serious operating system would NOT offer something like this. I'm really puzzled.

And this is indeed the fact I just put the Lumia out of my shopping basket and will continue to stick with my over three year old battered iPhone. What a crazy world.

There are some good reasons for not offering system-wide screen orientation lock:

1) Windows Phone 8 does have an orientation lock, but the decision when to offer that is given to the developers, eg. they can implement an orientation lock for their applications if they wish.

2) The same SDK offers extra options for other screen orientations. This means that developers could use it to their benefits by offering a different kind of screen views in different orientations. For example a golf app could show course information on portrait and the scorecard in landscape mode. System wide orientation lock would disable these kind of features.

admorris#AC

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site

There are some good reasons for not offering system-wide screen orientation lock:

1) Windows Phone 8 does have an orientation lock, but the decision when to offer that is given to the developers, eg. they can implement an orientation lock for their applications if they wish.

2) The same SDK offers extra options for other screen orientations. This means that developers could use it to their benefits by offering a different kind of screen views in different orientations. For example a golf app could show course information on portrait and the scorecard in landscape mode. System wide orientation lock would disable these kind of features.

Sure, there may be good reasons not to use orientation lock IF it's available, but there's never a good reason not to allow the user to have that option.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2

Gaichuke

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site

Sure, there may be good reasons not to use orientation lock IF it's available, but there's never a good reason not to allow the user to have that option.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2

...I just told you a scenario where it's a good reason not to allow user to have that option. When your application store has apps that use orientation for completely different screen views. That's a very good reason right there. I think it's much better solution to have developers put the orientation lock in their application's app bar if it makes sense in them.

Microsoft should follow their own advice though and add an orientation lock to IE too.

sueha

May 31, 2012
Visit site

I love my wp8, I really do but some missing (sometimes basic) features are driving me crazy :
What I really need to be updated :
1) not being able to edit content when I want to forward a email. I forward a lot of emails everyday, but I can NOT just send them as they are; Some contents are for my eyes only. Not for my clients or other colleagues.
2) not being able to attach a file other than a picture when I want to answer an email. another big turn off to me. I have to go to the office hub, choose the "share" option, create a new email...Not pratical at all.
3) xbox music + video. I've spent a lot of time on organising my music datas. I want to be able to connect to xbox music without my metadatas being edited and in the end messed up because lot of informations are wrong. Also, need a trackbar asap for both the music and when I watch a video on youtube without using Metrotube.
5) Some sort of night mode. I need to be on call. But i'd like to turn off notification sounds when I sleep. It seems this feature will arrive with the blue update. Yay.
6) IE need a fwd button and an exit option. Going back to close it is not good at all. I'd like to close it and when I open it again, be on the page I last was. (I do hope Opera is coming out soon)
7) Store update notifications. Sometimes, I only know about app updates because of WPCentral. Maybe add a "check for updates" while the issue is being fixed.
8) More popular apps. I know this is not a MS issue but wp needs more popular apps such as Instagram (not that I care about it but it one of the most popular social networks...) or a decent facebook one (I mostly use the fb functions that are wp natives BUT I really need one to manage my pages) if they want to reach a broader and bigger audience. Whenever I show my phone to friends/colleagues, they like it but then they ask about whatever app is fancy at the moment and most of the time, I have to answer "err, it's not on marketplace yet". And bam, they lose interest in the phone and its OS.

This is spot on imho.

1) + 2) are actually embarrasing to a company like Microsoft!
3): I dont even manage my playlist via the Xbox Music app. I am using Media Monkey right now. I just wish there was a proper DESKTOP app (not that Windows 8 App, wtf, I am a nerd, I want a proper desktop app!!)

4) my biggest concern!!! I dont WANT my Skype notifications to vibrate and play that Sound. I want my notifications to behave individually. I like that Microsoft wants to make the OS as simple as possible, because most customers are non-geeks. But PLEASE give an option for advanced settings for geeks! Belfiore, not every customer is a family father whose only concern is a kids mode dafuq. I wanna tweak my phone to my phone to my personal preferences. "A phone for each of us" my ***!

5) Yes! I made this Suggestion some time ago: A proper bedtime mode But the new "quiet hours" Option for Windows 8 actually made me hope.

6) Agree again. Very poor control UI imho. There could be easily another one or two buttons except the one most of us use to open the tabs list.

7) ++

8) I'm fine with the apps store, but I'm not the only customer. But you gotta admit, the store is growing! They cant match the iOS app store within the first two years. We should be a bit more patient here.

Just had to release my anger somewhere >:-/

TheDarKnight

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
I am done with windows phone.

I am done with windows phone.
its over, I gave the phone and the OS too many chances and defended it, I bought the phone from the first generation (HTC HD7) till the latest (HTC 8x), I also have a Nokia 900, I loved my windows phone when I first got it, and when WP8 came out I recommended it to a lot of people and most of them actually switched, I convinced my wife to get an HTC HD7 then a Lumia 900, now she wants an iPhone (because of the apps), all my 3 brothers made the switch to WP (but now 2 of them already switching back to android), 2 uncles and a bunch of my coworkers switched, and when I meet them or talk to them they tell me about their bad experiences with some apps that just won?t start, or the lack of apps and hardware issues (specially Nokia) , but to be fair almost everyone liked how smooth and fast the UI is). but enough about that, I am just going to talk about my own bad experience, so anyways I do feel that it?s a dead end with windows phone and it?s not getting enough attention from Microsoft or developers of big name apps, I also have more reasons why I am considering to leave wp:

1. Microsoft promised a strong big ecosystem, well it?s not that strong, some of its aspects are pretty good like SkyDrive, but things like xbox music and video don?t offer similar experiences across all platforms specially with purchases, also I always thought that the xbox and windows phone will be really close to windows 8 interface (they showed that in some commercials and ads) but they are pretty different, and each one of them is ?operated? differently and look different. Also the apps are not common, from what I understand part of the ecosystem is where you can buy an app in one device and run/use it on your tablet/phone/pc or the ability to play a video and broadcast from your phone to your tv (don?t tell me to use play to, it?s made by nokia, so what about other devices? Microsoft should take care of that, plus play it has limited functionality).I am a PS3 guy and I invested in an xbox 360 and Kinect last year just because of the hype about the new UI that will have similar experience like windows 8, now I never use my xbox, just sometimes because I have xfinity and the xbox app is kinda cool with searching and finding TV Shows and stuff (and Kinect voice commands are awesome)
  2. The lack of apps and the lack of support from the devs, and I am talking here about major apps that I personally use (viber, tango, CNN, some ESPN apps, facebook, linkedIn, pageonce and much more official apps) most of them are buggy and never work (tried them on many wp devices) and they just never get updated, or they don?t even have enough features like the ones on IOs and Android.
  3. Games, I mean come one it?s the xbox, the most popular gaming platform in the world or whatever, even though I am a PS3 gamer I would love to play big names on wp and surface RT tablet, or play multiplayer games (not online pool and strategy games), and I hate the fact that we had to wait a year or so until angry birds or temple run came out.
  4. The disappointment as a WP 7.8 user, we only got the new UI and bing wallpaper from WP8, really? Couldn?t they improved Bing search like wp8? Or lock screen icons? also that data high usage bug really ended things for me, and the long wait for it to be fixed, it looks like Microsoft is just ignoring the WP 7.8 users, I got the device a year ago and I expect some level of support, what really bothered me that after a couple of months of buying the phone they announced the wp8 and they said wp7 device are only getting the UI from wp8, couldn?t they plan this better?
  5. Bing Vs Google, I use Bing and only Bing, but look what is Google offering for its users, they have an impressive maps and gps system, an amazing voice search capabilities, I got really impressed with how Google voice search works on my brothers tablet, Bing search and maps on the phone is kinda horrible, same with the gps, I mean for my wp 7.8 devices I have to tap the screen to hear the next step, and the map is so tiny on the gps, also nokia gps doesn?t say the street names, it just tells you go right or left, give Google gps a try and you will see what we are missing.
  6. Lack of accessories and cool gadgets, not much to say here, just look at all kind of gadgets and tools and things you can hookup to your iPhone for example.
  7. I originally also decided to get a wp7 phone because of the features that I thought they are unique for wp7 users only, like SkyDrive, xbox, smart glass, etc... , but now since they are on all different competitors? devices, I have no enough strong reason to stay with wp.

I am not looking for anyone to tell me oh, Microsoft is working hard on it or there is technical difficulties and challenges, or they are better than Google or apple or anyone else, I don?t really care, by the end of the day I am a user and a customer and I am looking for the better experience and advantage for myself not the company, if any other device offers that better experience for me or provide what I am looking for then I will switch.

I gave wp lots of chances even with bad experiences I had http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-900/190965-nokia-lumia-900-issues.html , I was patient and really expected that one day wp will redeem itself. But I am done and tired of waiting while there is other really good alternatives available.
And just keep in mind, I am not a supporter or a fan boy of a specific company, I love my surface RT, and I use outlook (Hotmail) and Bing, I use IE but I hate it sometime and I use Firefox instead, I love my PS3 and I sometimes enjoy my xbox (movies and media stuff not gaming), so I don?t really care if it?s from Microsoft or anyone else, what really matters for me by the end of the day is what works for me and does the job for me and what I need, maybe wp9 or 10 or 20 will have improvements and more apps? Or the better ecosystem? Well until that days comes, I might consider getting back to wp.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss