(Official) What WP needs to succeed

th0mas96

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Re: (Official) Why I don't like WP8 Part 2 (What WP needs to succeed)

I can't understand why people defend wp8. Its an unfinished mess that is mediocre at best in almost all common uses for a phone. First, Android doesn't lag anymore with current ram and processor speeds. Wp8 is smooth because it has half the functionality of iPhone and Android. In couple years when MS finally gets the functions everybody else already have, it will have the same issues Android had with lag. Wp8 is fast because it doesn't do anything and What functions it has can't be used because they suck the battery dry. I can't name one aspect wp8 does better than everybody else. 6 months later and its just as bad as day one.

just, no. Android's extreme laginess is caused by fragmentation, often missing updates, imperfect OEM drivers and other things. Look at iOS, it offers a lot and just looking at the hardware, it's way faster than Android. An iPhone Classic still has very smooth scrolling, show an android device with 412Mhz single-core and 128 MB ram that is nearly as fast.

Oliver Newell

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site

I can't understand why people defend wp8. Its an unfinished mess that is mediocre at best in almost all common uses for a phone. First, Android doesn't lag anymore with current ram and processor speeds. Wp8 is smooth because it has half the functionality of iPhone and Android. In couple years when MS finally gets the functions everybody else already have, it will have the same issues Android had with lag. Wp8 is fast because it doesn't do anything and What functions it has can't be used because they suck the battery dry. I can't name one aspect wp8 does better than everybody else. 6 months later and its just as bad as day one.

Get out.

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site

Since you can't backup any claim except for flapping your gums, go to Android something and leave. Windows phone central and wp8 users don't agree and never will. Some issues are apparent but 100% of everything you said is not one of them. Nexus series suck ***, Samsung anything sucks ***, everything sucks when it runs android.

II'vehad mostly all current android phones, Nexus, S3, Xperia, and they are all less smooth than my wp7, ddon'teven bring in wp8. You sir, sucks *** and need the demented reality which is Android.

Goodbye

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site

If you don't like Windows Phone, get an iPhone or Android device. Period. I don't think there is one phone to rule them all. There shouldn't be.

saulgould13

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site

Well kind sir, you do have many choices among the endless devices these big companies want to throw at you, its only natural to want the best now product. I know relatives in foreign countries who don't have the luxury to pick and choose a certain device for various reasons. I don't know you however your gripes have merits, just remember, you have an option.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site

Well good bye. Hope you don't pull all of your hair out when you switch to android due to the clumsiness and lagging of what is a terrible OS, or you getting wound up and frustrated that you bought the latest iPhone X months ago and they have already officially released information on the next iPhone which is slimmer, faster and better in everyway.

I don't like to sound sarcastic (even though it is quite fun) but I am sure Bill gates and Steve Ballmer are going to have sleepless nights on your account now.

The guy wrote a thoughtful and detailed message about what he feels is problematic, and you dismiss him with stupid sarcasm. Yeah, you DO like to sound sarcastic. Believe me, HE is in the majority of people - and I DO believe Steve Ballmer is losing sleep over those like him.

The truth is that WP is still about where Android was around 2.2 - and it IS and feels unfinished. The idea is great IMO, no other OS is close to feeling as coherent and user friendly. But there are so many basic messaging, calling and typing functions that are missing and can't be done easily with 3rd party apps, that it's frustrating to always have to excuse the OS with "yeah, but the NEXT version...". I wonder myself how much longer people will put up with it - I'm about done, but am hanging in there because I don't like Android or iPhone (to be honest, I'd probably rather go back to a "dumb phone" and wait for the next WP iteration).

jcagga

Banned
Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Dear Microsoft, when are we gonna get new features on Me hub or any intergration features??

I've been using windows phone 7 since it first came out and with all the new features that came in, Microsoft barely updated its social integration features. For instance, why can't we tag people when you update your status/check-ins? Or being able to log in to one of your pages that you have created on Facebook? Heck even lock screen feature for me hub would've been nice too. I still prefer me hub over fb app for most of my use, though I still have no idea if someone wants to add me on fb from me hub, forcing me to use Facebook app. Please Microsoft I know you ran out of time with wp8 project but I hope with coming updates, you could maybe pay more attention to your old stuffs such as me hub that makes windows phone a windows phone. Cheers.

donkiluminate

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site

The guy wrote a thoughtful and detailed message about what he feels is problematic, and you dismiss him with stupid sarcasm. Yeah, you DO like to sound sarcastic. Believe me, HE is in the majority of people - and I DO believe Steve Ballmer is losing sleep over those like him.

I agree. I think Steve Ballmer worries about people like you, or me, or darknight because the hardcore wp fans will stick with them regardless but I'm not a hardcore fan and I'm not willing to stick with them through thick and thin.

It's the fringe people that they need to capture and keep.

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site

I may be one of the fringe people. I am a former Windows Mobile, Blackberry and Android user. I see WP8 as, and this is just my opinion, a Blackberry on steroids. The things I use a cell phone for, WP8 does really well. I make calls, text, use email, maps and occasional web browsing. My 822 does all this and provides great battery life as well. I don't use any social networking crap and don't really care about games or music on my phone either, so it suits me perfectly. I realize I am in the minority as far as usage patterns go. But for me it's core functions are pretty good. Sure, there are a couple of things that bug me, but they aren't freezing, crashing, or bloatware. :grin: I'd like to be able to sync my browser bookmarks and have a file manager. Storing something other than pix, vids or music on the sd card would be nice too. The one thing I struggled with on Android was Gmail, for me it was surprising how bad it was on an Android phone. The client was awful and it was unbelievably slow connecting and sending (could have been Verizon's less than stellar 3G network though). Again, I know I'm may be in the minority, but I'm happy with it overall.

fardream

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
The slow update of windows phone 8

For a feature lacking mobile OS like windows phone 8, it should be fairly easy to update the system frequently (like adding separate volume control). Yet nearly half year after the platform is released to masses, we got only minor updates like WiFi always on. The major issues with the OS, like Xbox music and exchange ActiveSync, are not even acknowledged by Microsoft.

At this pace of updating, when are we even to be on par with, like, iOS4? When can we really have a synced 3 screen music video experience (I paid 99 dollars for a lie that Xbox music will be cloud synced)? Are there even hope?

ChMar

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Re: The slow update of windows phone 8

A new update is coming. It's MS way that beside some system changes that you can't modify you should have the ability to replicate what they do. The are gaps in the API and any major update will force apps developer to make new version. A 6 month update cycle or longer is far more suited at this point.

It's really counter productive to launch a series of fast updates with very small improvements than a updates spaced at longer intervals with more features. Any modifications must be checked for correctness then checked for usability(which means groups study with normal people). You have to explore different variants choose the better one and do the implementation and the battery of tests. All this while giving time for OEMs to recover from their development cycle from the firmware and not stress carriers and overwhelm them with a string of endless updates.

I don't think the rest of OSs receive updates more frequently

Coolknight1968

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
We are the normal people! We are less stupid than most think.

MS should do incremental upgrades to small features and release them with the unlocked, unbranded devices. It should be the policy that locked devices get major updates and unlocked devices continuous updates.

If WP8 is to succeed, you have to get the customer to be willing to 'buy' his device in any market. Then carriers will be more willing to offer good deals and to promote WP8.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2011
Visit site

There's a rumour that Lumia 928 will come with the GDR2 update. The phone is suppose to be announced by the end of this month so I suppose the next update is in a month or two.

fardream

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site

A new update is coming. It's MS way that beside some system changes that you can't modify you should have the ability to replicate what they do. The are gaps in the API and any major update will force apps developer to make new version. A 6 month update cycle or longer is far more suited at this point.

It's really counter productive to launch a series of fast updates with very small improvements than a updates spaced at longer intervals with more features. Any modifications must be checked for correctness then checked for usability(which means groups study with normal people). You have to explore different variants choose the better one and do the implementation and the battery of tests. All this while giving time for OEMs to recover from their development cycle from the firmware and not stress carriers and overwhelm them with a string of endless updates.

I don't think the rest of OSs receive updates more frequently

but iOs and Android are at least feature complete. I don't care what schedule they are on, i am not on msft's payroll - I paid $99 for Xbox music subscription and for the better half of the year it's useless - and it is absurd that my purchased Xbox video cannot be viewed on windows phone despite their ad.

gerzhwin

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Re: Color and font customizations should be added to next update

Good points. I am just new to WP and generally enjoying the OS experience, but agree that its lacking of some fundamental possibilities in the area of customisation.
Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Board Express

fardream

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site

There's a rumour that Lumia 928 will come with the GDR2 update. The phone is suppose to be announced by the end of this month so I suppose the next update is in a month or two.
but basically we don't know what GDR2 will bring to the table - and I highly doubt MSFT can bring windows phone on par featurewise with this update

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I would really love a background color customization. I can live without it but it would be so AWESOME!!

and Play counts once again. Or at least syncing of playcounts to iTunes.

Dantekai14

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
My WP8 experience

It is fast,fluid & unique.
But here the story end of WP8.

All geek user never gonna like WP, for them Android is best and same goes to games/apps lover. Many games/apps which are paid in WP are free in Android.

Microsoft intentionally skip features and save it for next update(Download manager,file manager). User also say it is simple but lots of things are very complicated.

When Microsoft start taking customer seriously and make OS according to their need then only WP become successful.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster