(Official) What WP needs to succeed

daveb

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
TL;DR version

I'm a longtime Android user who bought a Windows Phone, experienced a problem that I didn't have time or energy to resolve, and went back to my old Android phone.

TL version

This will be a long post, but I wanted to share my very brief experience with Windows Phone, along with some background to go with it. I welcome advice and ideas for what I could or should have done. If some of my problems or concerns could have been resolved somehow, I would very much like to know how. I want to like Windows Phone, and am willing to give it another chance, though at this point I may wait until next year for 8.1 to release.

Background on me

I have used Android phones and tablets exclusively for around five years. I also have a lot of experience with iOS devices due to my job, but my own devices have been Android. Over the past several months, I've been tiring of Android and the hassles that often accompany it. The very inconsistent UI even among Google's own apps, the lack of timely updates for nearly all devices, and a few other issues have really gotten on my nerves.

I am on Verizon because they are the only carrier with usable service at my house. Switching carriers it not an option. I have a Samsung Galaxy Nexus, which I bought the day it was released in December 2011. Despite typical long delays in OS updates from Verizon, this was still the best phone I had owned until the 4.2.2 update. (I'm certainly not saying it's the best phone, only that it's the best I've owned.) When Verizon finally released the Android 4.2.2 update for the Galaxy Nexus, things took a major turn for the worse. Bluetooth and Wi-Fi problems are common, memory management is very poor, and the device gets to be very sluggish during use. Despite having a Nexus device, I do not run third-party builds of Android. To that, I know the Android community will say "you're doing it wrong."

On Monday of this week (October 7, 2013) I upgraded to a Nokia Lumia 928. This followed two weeks of pretty extensive research, soul-searching, and attempting to transition from Gmail to Outlook.com to help guarantee what I assumed would be the best Windows Phone e-mail, contacts, and calendar experience. That experience did not turn out as I'd hoped.

I returned the phone to Verizon the next day. I freely admit that I did not give it enough time, but I experienced a deal-breaker problem which I do not have the time to try to fix. (This problem is described in the "Bad Things" section below.) Despite being angry and stressed out for much of my time with the phone, I got to really like Windows Phone. Going back to Android feels very clumsy by comparison. If I had the time and desire to try to "fix" my contacts, I definitely would have stuck with it longer. I could see Windows Phone becoming my daily driver if I could get everything to sync.

Here are my observations. I compare this with Android many times because that's what I was coming from.

Good Things

• The Windows Phone UI was very nice. During my pre-purchase research I came to understand how the live tiles work and it actually got me using some of the modern UI apps in Windows 8. (Although that experience without a touchscreen is far from ideal. But that's another topic entirely.) The constantly changing "People" live tile was incredibly annoying and distracting, but the other ones were overall quite good. Getting a simple count of unread mail, new texts, etc. was helpful and not something that stock Android provides. It was great to be able to show important or useful information in an efficient way.
  • The consistent UI was a welcome change from the UI chaos that is Android. Almost all apps behaved the same, most used my chosen theme colors, and you interacted with most apps in the same consistent way. Very refreshing.
  • The UI works well for one-handed operation. So many Android apps now require proficiency in thumb gymnastics to reach buttons in the upper-right corner of a 4.7+ inch screen. I did not have this problem with Windows Phone and really appreciated that. Android's tendency to have controls at the top of the phone screen makes larger screens difficult to navigate one-handed.
  • The OS was fast and responsive. There was minimal lag moving around and between apps. Everything felt very fluid. The back button worked in a consistent and logical way, unlike the back button in Android.
  • The screen was great, and all the fonts were very readable.
  • The keyboard was awesome. Almost no typos, easy to use, and accurate word suggestions. Google really needs to step up its game in the keyboard department. Android does a good job of correcting typos, but with Windows phone I had fewer typos to be corrected. I miss that keyboard even after only a few hours of use.
  • A nearly system-wide dark color theme is nice. Android has white, black, gray. You never know what app will use which theme. It's really annoying.
  • The lock screen is nice and provides quick access to useful information. I can get close to this with Android lock screen widgets such as DashClock, but Windows Phone is great out of the box.

Okay Things

• It was annoying to be unable to group things into folders. Endlessly scrolling up or down a long page of tiles is a bit tedious, but over time I'm sure I would have found a way to arrange my most-used tiles near the top.
  • Feature parity between Outlook.com on the web and the Mail app in Windows Phone is nowhere near what Gmail on the web and the Gmail Android app offer. The current Google Android app is probably the closest thing I've seen to the perfect mobile e-mail experience. (Aside from the staggeringly stupid inability to send e-mail to contact groups.) The Windows Phone e-mail experience was okay, but not great. For example, with my Outlook.com account on the web, I can quickly archive a message to get it out of my Inbox. In Windows Phone's Mail app I have to move the message to the Archive folder, which requires several more steps.
  • On Android once you setup an account, other apps can use that stored account information to authenticate. On Windows Phone, even when signing into other Microsoft apps, I was forced to log into each one separately, often having to enter a two factor authentication (2FA) code or an app-specific password.
  • The camera, despite all the hype it got, was not that great in low light even with the xenon flash. While balance was awful, the edges of photos were dark. I was not impressed. This was very disappointing to me as the photos I'd seen online were much better than what I was getting. It was still MUCH better than the crappy camera on my Galaxy Nexus, though, and having a dedicated physical camera button with the half-push to focus functionality was pretty cool. More time with the camera would probably have helped here.
  • During pre-purchase research I found there are Windows Phone versions of most of my must-have apps, which was good. Some of them are lacking features present in their iOS and Android counterparts which was disappointing, but not the fault of Microsoft of Windows Phone.

Bad Things

• This was the deal-breaker that resulted in me returning the Phone to Verizon less than a day after buying it. Google contact syncing was completely broken for me and could not be easily fixed. Sadly, I did not capture a screenshot of this error, which I regret, as it would have been helpful for follow-up troubleshooting or discussions such as this. The error I received during syncing of the Google account was that the phone had insufficient memory to sync at this time with error code 8007000E. [WP Central forum post about this] [Possible temporary fix for this] Speculation by some users online was that it's related to the size of some contact photos. Indeed I do have some high-res contact photos in my Google contacts, but I was not about to go through all of them to remove the photos. Admittedly this is not a widespread issue, but searches turned up a lot of people having the same problem. I do not know whether this is a Google problem or an issue with Windows Phone's new CardDAV implementation.
  • Exporting my contacts from Google and importing into Outlook.com was also not successful due to the fact that many contacts had data that did not get exported. I'd guess at least a third of my contacts were missing info that Google did not export into the CSV file. I did not have time to manually compare each of my contacts in both services to resolve the discrepancies. This specific point is not a criticism of Windows Phone, so I don't want to dwell on it too much.
  • As a power e-mail user, I found the surprisingly basic functionality of Outlook.com's rules to be insufficient for my needs. And I gave it a good two weeks to try to adapt before even buying a Windows Phone. Gmail's tabbed Inbox and powerful filters just work much better for me and I really missed the Android Gmail app while trying to work with the Windows Phone Mail app.
  • All the Mail account tiles look the same in small tile mode. Not even a different icon to differentiate between an Exchange and a Google account, for example. I tried to get my most important info on tiles placed on the first screen of start page tiles, which meant some of them could not be large tiles. I do know that I can link mail accounts into a single unified Inbox, but I prefer to not handle mail in that way and the identical small tiles made it tough to know which one was for which account.
  • The whole account setup and app logon process was needlessly complicated and very tedious. Those of us who use long random passwords are at a huge disadvantage with Windows Phone given the number of times you must enter credentials into apps during initial setup. I could understand this for third-party apps, but Microsoft's own apps should at least provide the option to use the device's primary Microsoft Account to streamline the process as much as possible. This was really a disappointing and frustrating experience.
  • IE10 in Windows Phone does not have the ability to save passwords. I use long, randomly generated passwords, managed using KeePass on the desktop and KeePassDroid on Android. I also use two-factor authentication on any site that offers it. While researching Windows Phone 8 I was pleased to see the Authenticator app from Microsoft which would nicely fill the role of Google Authenticator. I do all this to keep people out, but for some sites I have no problem allowing trusted browsers to save my username and password to make logging in less tedious with these complex random passwords. I understand LastPass may offer some kind of workaround for this by using its own browser, but I'm not sure I would be happy with that. (I didn't try this.) I use desktop features of KeePass such as very customized autotype sequences, which would make moving all my credentials into LastPass difficult.

So there are my long-winded first impressions of Windows Phone. As I said, if I had time to spare to try to fix whatever contact sync issue caused this problem, I would have almost certainly grown to like Windows Phone and adapt to the differences. Since Verizon is unlikely to get another Nexus phone or any additional official updates for my Galaxy Nexus, I may finally give a third-party Android build a try to tide me over until Windows Phone 8.1 is out and then revisit Windows Phone at that time.

I do welcome the thoughts and opinions that WP users can offer in response to this long post. If you actually read all of this, thank you!

Willisme1

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Reasons why I can't swap to WP8... yet.

Hey, I just got my Nokia Lumia 1020, and I really like it! But there's a few compromises I don't want to make...

Firstly, Facebook notifications aren't working, which I know Microsoft are working on, but that's such an important part of smartphones nowadays, that I just can't live without it!

Secondly, cut and paste never seems to work properly for me, either not appearing or not letting me move the first 'cursor'.

I also don't like how IE handles the back button command. If you close the app, and return to it, you can no longer go back?

Plus, where's the button to turn off 3G completely? I get one bar signal of 3G in my house, so I'd rather just get full 2G so I don't continuously drop calls.

Finally, and I'm sure that its probably just something that would improve with time, my battery life is terrible!

I'm really sad to have to swap phones for such minor details, but I don't like to compromise after spending so much money! The phones hardware is amazing though, and WP8 is fast and fluid - as soon as these little problems are addressed, I can say for sure that I'll be swapping for good :)

WP has done well in three years no doubt. Hopefully, I will be back to try again... Now to go burn my eyes with the ugliness that is iOS 7 icons.

Will.

Paedin

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
Re: Reasons why I can't swap to WP8... yet.

Im going with :

1 - Docked mode - I get to work, plug my phone in, and it stays like that all day. Would be nice to be able to disable the Lock Screen while in Docked mode. Have the home page just there. You could still lock it if you wanted. Honestly, why not just give an option to turn the lock screen off of automatic after "X" ammount of minutes.

2 - Better sync of media data - Using either XBox Music or Nokia Music, neither seem to pull the artist info data well enough IMO.

3 - Black color theme - High contrast disables so much of the phone beauty, just gives us black color tiles

4 - Start screen layout - its really annoying that you dont get the full 7 tile layout on your start screen. If you have the phone, you already know the screen goes down. No need to hatchet the bottom row of tiles to remind us.

5 - Settings clean up - The settings page is a mess and only growing longer. Fix.

Good enough for now. I'll move along.

Piratelooksat40

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: Reasons why I can't swap to WP8... yet.

Here are my thoughts on what I think they need to do to succeed:

1. Get the apps. This is the number one issue. Until they have the top apps they are not going to succeed. It is time they go old school, pre DOJ old school and leverage Windows and Xbox. First be nice and try to pay the companies like Instagram, Snapchat and the other big ones they don't have. Offer to do something unique with them with Xbox One and Windows. If they refuse, lock them out of everything. If you need to put something in the browser that blocks them so be it. Create an apps company that does nothing but builds better competing apps on all the platforms and give it away. Put a couple of these companies out of business and your will see how quickly the others run to you. If they are too scared to do that is it possible to build some kind of emulator on the phone so it could run Apple apps in their native mode?

2. Faster Upgrades for Windows Phones. Sure this is going to cost you some money, but if you want to win the market it is not going to be cheap. Right now most people can upgrade their phones every 2 years with their plans. Come out with a trade in plan that allows people to upgrade their phones out of cycle. If you ran ads saying that do you have to wait 1 1/2 years to get a new iPhone? Trade in your iPhone and get a 1020 now! for the upgrade price. I would love to have a 1020, but I got an 820 as soon as I could. I have another year to wait for a phone or pay $600 for a new 1020.

3. Fix the Music app and aggressively go after the market. I think with the 1020, they can own the photo market, they need to do something with Music. Maybe they need to buy Pandora and go after it that way.

odehhasan

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
The notification system is what really annoys me, if you don't have live tile for that particular app, you won't know if you get a message/notification!!! Today I was driving and I heard the notification sound twice but when I checked my phone (after I parked my car) I couldn't find out which app sent the notification!!! I wish Microsoft can do something like IOS or android notification system

Sent from my RM-875_apac_malaysia_970 using Tapatalk

JobSteves

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
Not really a windows phone 8 thing but I'm in love with Nokia maps and Nokia drive on my 920. As long as Microsoft doesn't axe them I'll be a wp8 user.

marcusasdrubal

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Bad news, poor MS job and thoughts...

A few days ago I complain about GDR3 not offering a easy way to attach files on e-mail. The worst that MS started to target the business, showing diagrams and etc. How target business if you can't even send a reply with an attachment. I don't have to metion the lack VPN.
That time, fanboys started to complain that I am kind of traitor, just because I said that even Joe Belfiore have an Iphone, otherwise he can't even answer his e-mails properly on his WP phone. Now with the apps releasing for iOS and Android first the things are more clear..

I don't doubt that Belfiore has an Iphone. Even the guys here in WPcentral, they have an Iphone too (some even android)...

Why? Because Iphone is light years of WP. They have a Kernel that has been developed more than 21 years. In other hand we restarted our kernel because MS wasn't clever enough to choose NT since the beginner. Now we suffer from the same problem, because MS did not unify the stores when released WP8.

Do you know the worst? let me tell, I talked to some devs in Brazil, even a MS guy, about merging binaries from different sources. The guy didn't say that, because he can't say with the words, but yes maybe with the merge of binaries, some phones (even high end) will bleed. Forget 36 months of update, because this updates will be more like to fix some bugs and like GDRs...But after 8.1 and the merge, phones will be left. There is no chance to be like Apple, bring updates to a 3GS (even some less capabalities ) and Iphone 4. To merge binaries even the NT Kernel (will be the same), most of actually phones will not get it. I asked him that, because I know from my XDA's days as heavy android user, to trim new kernel capabilities is expensive, takes more than year, specially because the OS miss so many API's. So, forget you 1020 will not be able to look to new store and the way that the apps will be developed. You will have to beg the devs to encode in the way your phone will be until 8.1 . After the merge forget...

Now I will talk about again the poor job of MS, the GDR3 update was supposed to offer new hardware running WP. lol. Do you know that MS will have to rethink the 8.1? Because even with GDR3 and 8.1, MS didn't think in the next level of processor, the 64 bits architeture. Maybe with the merge the hardware will be enabled, but right now and 2014, forget. They confess it. Google is developing phones with 64 bits already. And all the android partners...Samsung, HTC, LG, Sony...

We hope, as WP users that MS and specially our OS, with a new policy might get all these things right now. But Until now, have to say, really no clear light on the end of the tunnel.

djmcfar

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
No Call Blocking Is Unforgivable Mistake

There are a lot of nice features on the HTC Trophy running Windows phone 7.5 - except for one very important feature, namely, call blocking.

All of the other smart phones (except for possibly iPhone which might have to be unlocked) offer this feature as part of the installed software, so I assumed that a huge monopoly like Microsoft would also include this feature (it was available in previous 7.0 OS version as a pay for add-on - since they switched to the app store, there are none available).

People who live in the real world (i.e. non Microsoft marketing people) know that this feature is highly desirable, particularly in light of the failure of the federal and state "do not call" lists (I am on both lists, and receive a lot of solicitation calls) so I figured that support for this would at least be able to be purchased somewhere. GUESS AGAIN !!!

I have been a Microsoft fan for 30+ years, and a professional programmer for that same number of years, and although Microsoft has dropped the ball many times over the years, I have always been able to make excuses for them which enabled me to continue to be a user of their products. I have written custom device drivers, and application code on various MS OSes (I am primarily an embedded programmer, but also do web programming).

I really don't know how this could not have been addressed by MS (one could carry on quite a lot here with angered speculation, but I'm going to skip that) - it has caused me to take a look at other alternatives (i.e. no use of MS stuff at home - can't be helped at work).

ARGGGGGG

Psycmeistr

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
They NEED a Bluetooth HID interface, to allow external Bluetooth keyboard functionality. Essential productivity tool for working with Microsoft Office and other business applications on WP8.

brunoadduarte

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
Yes it will, If it was available for all WP phones. I do not see how you can deny that, Qi wireless charging would be a huge selling point.

Not unless wireless chargers came in the box with the phone. If they don't having wireless charging capabilities, it doesn't help in any way. I have an 820 with two wireless charging covers (because Nokia was "smart" enough not to sell the standard covers) and you can bet I won't be coughing up money for a wireless charger.

grbrao

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I stay in Gulf, and switched from iphone5 to Lumia1020. Now things have changed drastically for me.... It begin with..
- how to make a playlist?
-where to find the downloaded files?
-how to share files between PC and phone (documents, video files, which is supported by yxplayer).
-contacts integration with Gmail.
-single notification sound.
-above all the worst thing is it doesn't support VPN.....
No offence... But till now I have faced these problems switching from ios to wp8... Rest is fine..

CamiKitti

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Add cut and select all option.
Cut: could be next to copy button
Select all: double tap on text or section of text, or a button next to copy

Lumia777

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
1) WP absolutely needs a brightness toggle. This is a basic requirement for any phone OS. The 'auto' brightness setting is ok, but just isn't enough for varied lighting situations.

2) This brightness slider needs to be implemented into an overall control centre, much like iOS and Android. It makes sense, is very practical, and is discrete...coming up only when needed. Currently on WP OS you must have buttons pinned to the home screen to access simple controls. For all the time Microsoft had to work on Windows Phone OS, they missed some simple things. I heard this control centre concept is to be released in the next update, is this true? The screen rotation control is another utility that needs to be implemented into the control centre.

3) The ability to organize the list of apps. Scrolling through the whole list is cumbersome to say the least. There are better ways than a list.

E Lizzle

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
3) The ability to organize the list of apps. Scrolling through the whole list is cumbersome to say the least. There are better ways than a list.

You don't have to scroll through the list. You can touch one of the blue letters and you'll get a screen where you can jump direct to another letter. You can also hit the magnifier at the top left to do a substring search.

-E

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs