(Official) What WP needs to succeed

rspillo

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Set this as Your favorites site: Name:forward; web address: javascript:history.forward()

Name: back: web address
javascript:history.back()

Now you can back and forward.

Sorry My bad english

GizmoEV

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Re: Windows Phone Frustrations

Hey everyone,

I came from the iPhone 4 and wanted to switch because of the lack of options and versatility that iPhone.....

Every platform has issues and no given platform is for everyone. What I have learned over the past 30 years of working with electronic technology is that it really takes a while before an objective decision can be made about a particular platform. Use the platform long enough to understand it. Get to know it like what you are comparing it to before making a decision. I too, switched from an iPhone 4 to a Lumia 920. I knew that I could just swap my sim card back into my iPhone 4 so I was willing to make the switch. A year later there are very few things I still miss on my iPhone. Same goes for the Windows 8 Modern UI. I find that on my Lumia 2520 tablet I use the Modern UI much more than the desktop and the opposite when working on my desktop PC. I really appreciate the integration of settings across all three devices through the Microsoft account.

Hang in there. WP may not be what fits your needs but it you don't use it for long enough you may never find out if it really is better for you. In any case, be glad WP exists and hope it continues to gain market share. Three solid competitors will make your favorite platform better than if there were only two major competitors.

rusty_sim

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I can live with the lack of apps but when I found out yesterday that I can't save my messages to file, I'm really mad and sad.

I have some personal messages that I want saved... not just backed up to skydrive where I can't even access it.

Also a couple weeks back my ipod died so I started using my lumia to connect to my car stereo. It's no where near as loud and doesn't sound as good as an old as 1st gen touch! And my speakers blew, probably coincidence but lol I want to blame my phone.

Brian Peacock

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
If you play music through the 'Music and Videos' player, you can have it so that the band image shows on the lock screen but the screen goes dark after about 5 seconds no matter what I set the timeout in 'Lock Screen'. So either setting the 'timeout after x minutes' option isn't applicable for the music app or there's a bug. Also it would make loads of sense to have the screen ALWAYS ON if it isn't on battery power. A laptop has power options allowing the screen to be always on when on mains power so why not WP8? In essence the Windows phone is just a smaller version of laptop so there should be a lot of features that are transferable.

Also, why do I have to go into Nokia music and use that app to access the equalizer quickly? Why not include it in 'Music and Videos'? Its a PITA to have to browse to the Settings then look through the non-alphabetical list to find the equalizer.

enik

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Lets see where to start! A more efficient metro UI, real multitasking, and more compact phones. There is no reason my 928 should be bigger than my LG G2 seeing as the G2 screen is almost an inch larger.

Sent from my Lumia 928

dznk

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
I can live with the lack of apps but when I found out yesterday that I can't save my messages to file, I'm really mad and sad.

I have some personal messages that I want saved... not just backed up to skydrive where I can't even access it.

Also a couple weeks back my ipod died so I started using my lumia to connect to my car stereo. It's no where near as loud and doesn't sound as good as an old as 1st gen touch! And my speakers blew, probably coincidence but lol I want to blame my phone.

I hope SMS export is added in a future update as well. Or at least open up an API so apps can be developed to do this. One thing you could do and I know this isn't really a solution for the problem, but it's better than nothing. You could always take some screenshots of the message thread, that you really want to remember. At least you would have images containing the messages, the senders name, and the date and time.

GizmoEV

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site

Not ideal but you could copy and paste the messages you want to keep into a Word document or into a OneNote page.

vervester

Nov 18, 2013
plus.google.com
Swype, Swype and Swype! Or equivalent keyboard.

If you are interfacing with your device in a certain way, and this option is not available to you on an alternative device, you are much less likely to want to experiment.. fact!

I know many android users that use this reason as to not to even consider Windows phone OS.

On a different note...

Google's auto awesome on my nexus 5 is a nice feature for the casual photo/video taker in this world of memory making. It would be nice to see a MS version.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

k0de

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
The App Store needs more real life apps. For example just to mention a few are Banking, Navigation, Browsers, Sports, Air Lines, Career Related, Medical, Math, Lottery, and so on. WP8 and the Windows OS specifics are remarkable but that's not enough. I believe that the iOS and Android store are the reason for their success. The WP8 store is flat compare to the other 2 OSESS I speak from experience. On the other hand I like Microsoft products and made the switch to WP8 from IOS recently. I'm going to stick around. I believe that the Window Store team will have a mile stone of accomplishments in 2014.

Last edited:

k0de

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
More user and developer interaction. This way developers can solve problems that people are experiencing one issue at a time. Thus improving the user experience on the long run.

Nokia Boy

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Instantly switch between apps,support apps such as HERE Drive and Nokia Music for ALL Countries,and the HERE Maps app as it comes with Lumia's it need some fixes,make it able to re-route the route instantly incase u take wrong turn or so..

nokia6300

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
WP8 Keyboard unacceptable

On landscape mode the keyboard width on my 4.3" display lumia 720 is exactly the same as my 3.5" display iphone 4 but taller on the Lumia. The space bar is tiny on the Lumia and there is a lot of wasted space to the left and right they could've made the keyboard a lot wider.
What were they thinking of? Is this another one of MS's limitations? Hopefully for WP8.1 they maximize the screen space for the keyboard.

drsin

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft wants to be apple.But with the nokia partnership they did get major insights on how people not using apple phones use their phones. Things like expandable storage,bluetooth file transfer helped kick off sales to former symbian users. A lot of users (outside the USA) are investing in a single device i.e. bigscreen smartphone instead of a laptop, They cant afford multiple devices. The hardware is powerful enough to give a reasonable computing experience for everyday tasks.Better than the intel atom netbooks that were the rage a couple of years ago. I tried out a windows phone ,but I was astonished at how much a powerhouse symbian was, and windows phone is not. Android phones are so much more powerful. Locked down versions for everyday users and rooted phones for power users are available .4 inch smartphones that dont suck are available from 80$ onwards. Windows Phone needs to 'open up" some more.

P.S. I signed up just to post this rant.Mainly cause microsoft owns the best handset maker on earth now and I sincerely hope they dont f@#k up like they did with Danger ( kin1,kin2).I would gladly pay a premium for a nokia android phone because they are really that good. service and spares availability is unmatched even now. I can buy an original spare battery for my 6 year old phone for 5$ even now.and 7-8 year old phones are repairable so easily.

sergeten

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
The most irritating thing I bumped into since I started to use my 1020 2 months ago is a native dialer. Come on! How come it does not show the list of contacts containing the numbers/letters I have already dialed? Windows phone is for phones in the first place and calling is the basic function that should be perfect. Third party apps may solve this, but their tiles would not indicate missed calls, as I understand due to the OS restrictions, and I do not want to have 2 tiles: one for calling and another one for seeing my missed calls!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6