(Official) What WP needs to succeed

jamesbond69

Jan 9, 2014
Visit site
my pet peeve about windows phones.

hey guys, ive switched over from android a couple months back and i must admit i love windows phone 8 alot more, it does not have all the customization abilities or the app selection but it is perfect for me in every way.

My issue is the following: due to the phone having software buttons rather than hardware ones i sometimes find it very annoying to how sensitive they are and not being able to lock them. For example, if i decide to watch a movie or a video on my 1020 and i am re-positioning the phone i always end up pressing one of the software keys by accident because they are ultra sensitive and this usually results in some sort of annoyance, what i liked about the androids was that once the movie or video starts playing you can lock the phone and it will continue playing thus preventing any accidental pressing of software or hardware keys. if microsoft was to release such a feature in the upcoming wp8.1 o/s this would make alot of people lives way easier. This is the one thing i find to be seriously annoying with the windows phone software. Such an easy but life saving feature to have i don't understand why they haven't implemented it.

Another quick one i would have to say is being able to check call duration of previous calls.... like seriously this is a feature that for the past 15 years i have never seen a phone go without, so i dont understand how we are in 2014 but i am not able to go back and check how long the call duration was. the only way to check this is when you are on the actual call but once that call is done there is no other way to go back and see.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Both of those things are omissions that really make me scratch my head too. I've learned to hold the phone right, but every time I give the phone to someone to check a picture or video, they invariably end up hitting the Search button... and why call duration isn't in there? No clue. I do check it on my bill if I need to know, but it should be on the phone.

Phone Guy 4567

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
After reading what people want in threads like this I've come to the conclusion that the majority of market share WP has is due to what it's not. People want what Android already has but don't like it because Google is evil. They want a unified message centre, the ability to side load apps, unlocked/rooted devices so they can load custom ROMS and the ability to use the SD card as an external drive an install apps onto it. All these features are already available on Android today, and many of them contribute to possible security issues with Android.

So if WP is a OS for people who don't trust/like Google or Apple as I suspect then what is its long term viability? The number of consumers that fit the dislike and don't trust Google/Apple is small IMO, and the original vision of using live tiles and hubs to quickly get the info you need instead of going in and out of apps is fading fast.

wiggum15

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
  • More build in customization (accent colors/wallpapers) and transparent tiles (if you use a wallpaper)
  • Quick settings/notification centre
  • A second start-screen (swipe to the right)
  • Seperate volume control for alarms/media
  • Gapeless Playback for audio
  • A single unified video hub for all your videos
  • improvement of build in apps like the ie or the game hub (which looks ugly at the moment)
  • More and better apps

jgraves1107

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
What is the point of WP?

Haven't even had my 928 a month and Microsoft has done more for ios and android than their own WP. This is what ticks me off. I mean they want to sell us on the whole one device for everything and they go and add more to the competitions belt. Now I am seriously thinking of going to the galaxy note 3. Even Microsoft doesn't care if the WP platform succeeds. What a crock!

Zaki Smile

Apr 12, 2013
Visit site
Aside from the things that probably are included in wp 8.1 like
Notification Center
Voice Assistant
Separate Volume Levels

I would happy if they added support for
Screen mirroring to computer and tv
Official remote desktop
Ability to turn on and off many thing things with NFC. Just accept and then all settings are configured as you like.
See one week at the time in the calendar
Built-in stopwatch/timer
Built-in flashlight
(Last two so I can remove third party apps)

Things that would be cool if they included
Ability to send and answer sms from computer
Connect bluetooth keyboards
Add support to toggle on/download other calendars like name-days or national days or things like that

himmatsj

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
Features request: Swipe to dismiss running apps and manually make live tiles flip

I kinda like the "multi-tasking" function of WP8, which allows you to see full pages of running apps. Handy for quick comparisons for example.

However, I find it kinda lame having to hit X to close them. Why can't we just swipe to dismiss as well? Instead of swiping sideways like Android, here it can be swiping vertically.

Also, with regards to flipping live tiles manually, why can't we swipe LEFT on the live tiles to make this happen? Anyone thinks this might be a good idea?

Kaushik Dash

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I kinda like the "multi-tasking" function of WP8, which allows you to see full pages of running apps. Handy for quick comparisons for example.

However, I find it kinda lame having to hit X to close them. Why can't we just swipe to dismiss as well? Instead of swiping sideways like Android, here it can be swiping vertically.

Also, with regards to flipping live tiles manually, why can't we swipe LEFT on the live tiles to make this happen? Anyone thinks this might be a good idea?

I stopped reading where you said "like android", it's windows phone, not android. If its any exciting, Microsoft accidentally accepted an idea of swiping down to close apps for wp8 just like in w8. It may really be an accident or it could just be available in a future update. (It was accidentally accepted at the same time when they accidentally the idea to install apps on sd card.)

EDIT: Should have read your complete post, my bad. But yeah they did accept the swipe down feature.

Vlad Ciprian

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
They required a lot of functions that must be improved and implemented, are too many to write them, that are just too many and unfortunately it msic hard with their implementation. Besides reading nobody mentioned videocall function network, I know that can be done via Skype or other applications, I am interested in network video call, nokia 925 and I really needed this service and I I could not use because it does not exist. I hope that those in WP not come with excuses can not be implemented in software as a service and the Nokia 925 among others who have secondary camera can not be implemented. Video call plzz Network is the only feature that is missing from other OS's

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Re: Features request: Swipe to dismiss running apps and manually make live tiles flip

I think we should reconsider the overwhelming desire to do something else just to be different from iOS & Android. It seems that the the desired goal for a lot of the WP fans here is to NOT be like the others, even when the way the other do it makes more sense. Things tend to gravitate toward the most practical solution (WP seemingly being an exception too many times!). Old timers will tell you that cars nowadays all look the same. And you know what? They're right. Auto manufacturers all ended up at the same basic design, largely because of aerodynamics. If it has practical reasons, they'll all do it. Not to copy each other, but because it's the best way.

Face it, hitting the little X is a pain like you said. Swiping is logical, since mobile devices are based on gestures. iOS & Android swipe to close apps. You see the value in it, but you think swiping vertically should be done to differentiate from Android? For one thing, swiping vertically is not as easy. And for another thing, you'd have to swipe further. However, it would still be better than the X. And in reality, if you turn an Android in landscape you swipe vertically!

Last edited:

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Re: Features request: Swipe to dismiss running apps and manually make live tiles flip

I think we should reconsider the overwhelming desire to do something else just to be different from iOS & Android. It seems that the the desired goal for a lot of the WP fans here is to NOT be like the others, even when the way the other do it makes more sense. Things tend to gravitate toward the most practical solution (WP seemingly being an exception too many times!). Old timers will tell you that cars nowadays all look the same. And you know what? They're right. Auto manufacturers all ended up at the same basic design, largely because of aerodynamics. If it has practical reasons, they'll all do it. Not to copy each other, but because it's the best way.

Face it, hitting the little X is a pain like you said. Swiping is logical, since mobile devices are based on gestures. iOS & Android swipe to close apps. You see the value in it, but you think swiping vertically should be done to differentiate from Android? For one thing, swiping vertically is not as easy. And for another thing, you'd have to swipe further. However, it would still be better than the X. And in reality, if you turn an Android in landscape you swipe vertically!

I don't really care. Hit "X" like in old Windows (and like in IE in WP)? Fine. Swipe DOWN like in Modern UI in Windows 8.1? Fine with me too. Who cares, really? Can we just agree that having to click "Back" button over and over again to close out was the worst solution ever? :D

sueha

May 31, 2012
Visit site
Notification Center
Ghost Notifications
Quick Settings
Voice Assistant
Separate Volume Levels
A proper Calendar app
Built-in stopwatch/timer
Built-in flashlight
API for video/music upload
System-wide speech recognition in EVERY message box
Bed-time mode (if I plug it in at 11pm, I want it to be silent till 7am)
More accent colors
The possibility to make ALL tiles the same color
Backgrounds (just because it would'nt hurt anybody)
Another tile size (3*2 maybe)
More customization for IE
Better facebook integration
A structured(!!!) settings menu!!! This is embarrassing!
A clean App Store! You can't find any official apps within all these fake apps! Quality, not quantity!

WhatsApp integration would be so nice, but this is very unlikely

LABrooks

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
Aside from the things that probably are included in wp 8.1 like
Notification Center
Voice Assistant
Separate Volume Levels

I would happy if they added support for
Screen mirroring to computer and tv
Official remote desktop
Ability to turn on and off many thing things with NFC. Just accept and then all settings are configured as you like.
See one week at the time in the calendar
Built-in stopwatch/timer
Built-in flashlight
(Last two so I can remove third party apps)

Things that would be cool if they included
Connect bluetooth keyboards
Add support to toggle on/download other calendars like name-days or national days or things like that

Holy mother you're not kidding ... and get rid of the stupid text preview it's driving me insane (like I need help with that?! ... I am missing some sort of VPN / remote desk / phone - computer connection badly! ... And after toggling *off* airplane mode - then back on ~ it turned on my wireless connection ??? ...
And add more reminders than *just one* for the calendar - please!
SMART DIALING!
Alpha Slider in the phone book!
Alpha Slider in the Music (phone book? - Play list? - Address Book? - Artist List!)
Gapless Playback - dear heavens - please!!!
For heaven's sake - meta tags in the photo albums!
No haptic feedback?!
OMG - I'm ticking myself off ... I gotta get outta here before I go to the VZW store ... I love the camera ...

mgh48

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Some remedy for their awful music management. Have had a Nokia 521 for a bit over a month, and can still not reliably transfer a playlist. Seriously, this is as basic as it gets for a smart phone.

The base O/S is fine for me, and I can handle the lack of apps (except for the lack of a decent swipe-type keyboard), but managing music easily is a given with either Android or Apple. When will Microsoft catch up?

himmatsj

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site

Actually main reason I say swipe vertically is due to the fact that the multitask page displays apps in full from left to right. You can't therefore swipe horizontally to dismiss them. Though of course swiping horizontally is easier than vertically.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett