(Official) What WP needs to succeed

himmatsj

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
I want third party keyboard solutions. SwiftKey is the best app for me on Android. First thing I download on each of my new devices. Longpress for numbers/symbols, advanced auto correct, and intelligent spacing/punctuation. Can't live without it!

Sakitumi

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
Yes, quality is the way to go. I don't mind having less apps than the competition has as long as these are good and quality programs.
I would add some more features along the way:
- implement Windows Media Player (with all its features) in WP8;
- ability to attach any file to an e-mail;
- VOIP functions;
- more language support;
- LED notifications just like on my old Nokia E52;
- sound profiles...etc.
If you can think of more...

Sakitumi

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
Re: Features request: Swipe to dismiss running apps and manually make live tiles flip

Now that this feature (closing apps by X) is present on our phones and long waited for, it is not good enough. Well it suits well, does the job as it was intended.
I don't want my phone to look like any of the Google's or Apple's ones. If you want those features as they have it, go buy yourself one of those, simple.

Anant Anand

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Yes, quality is the way to go. I don't mind having less apps than the competition has as long as these are good and quality programs.
I would add some more features along the way:
- implement Windows Media Player (with all its features) in WP8;
- ability to attach any file to an e-mail;
- VOIP functions;
- more language support;
- LED notifications just like on my old Nokia E52;
- sound profiles...etc.
If you can think of more...

Yes some very basic things of ancient phones are also missing ... Credit goes to great MSFT.... are you able to see your missed call list? Call register here is of primal age... You can never know call history of particular contact also... The thing is of your smartphone is smart enough but not phone enough.

mpt15

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
Yes some very basic things of ancient phones are also missing ... Credit goes to great MSFT.... are you able to see your missed call list? Call register here is of primal age... You can never know call history of particular contact also... The thing is of your smartphone is smart enough but not phone enough.

you can see missed calls in the call log. Combined call logs have been around even in Symbian.
For call history of a contact, open the contact card and then swipe to "history". The missed call shows up as "missed call" with the date and time.

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
One thing I very much from my android phone is a method for wireless syncing of music. I used to use an app called double twist that worked great. As long as my pc was turned on, I could sync whatever I wanted without issue. Having to plug in anytime I want to sync on my WP is annoying.

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
One other thing, which really jumped out at me yesterday (and which has been discussed here before), is the need for a "bedside mode" where you can allow certain calls through that might be very important, but block everything else while you are sleeping. Here is the scenario. My wife is a nurse and as such, she works regardless of the weather or the road conditions. Typically if it gets too bad out I get up super early and drive her in and pick her up. Yesterday, it was kind of in between in terms of road conditions so she decided to drive but asked me to keep my phone on in case she needed to call. So now, I am laying there trying to sleep with the phone beeping at me due to e-mails or another call that is not important, all because I cannot block those, while at the same time allowing my wife's call to come through. Result? I got no sleep due to the phone beeping at me every few minutes.

This is a simple thing which could easily be dealt with by the OS, or perhaps via an app. iOS does it. Android does it. There is zero reason that WP should not have this function.

sueha

May 31, 2012
Visit site
One other thing, which really jumped out at me yesterday (and which has been discussed here before), is the need for a "bedside mode" where you can allow certain calls through that might be very important, but block everything else while you are sleeping. Here is the scenario. My wife is a nurse and as such, she works regardless of the weather or the road conditions. Typically if it gets too bad out I get up super early and drive her in and pick her up. Yesterday, it was kind of in between in terms of road conditions so she decided to drive but asked me to keep my phone on in case she needed to call. So now, I am laying there trying to sleep with the phone beeping at me due to e-mails or another call that is not important, all because I cannot block those, while at the same time allowing my wife's call to come through. Result? I got no sleep due to the phone beeping at me every few minutes.

This is a simple thing which could easily be dealt with by the OS, or perhaps via an app. iOS does it. Android does it. There is zero reason that WP should not have this function.

I had that on my old SONY ERICSSON! TEN YEARS AGO...!!

GizmoEV

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site

While it doesn't have a simple switch or bedside mode you can just go into settings | ringtones+sounds and set texts, voicemail, email, and reminders to "none" and then only phone calls make noise.

chrisnx

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
i haven't read the whole thread:
things which WP needs to success.

• Notification Center
  • Custom Ringtones and Silders
  • Customizable Livetiles -> Music Livetile can switch song for example
  • Add support for 3rd party keyboards
  • allow user to use background images
  • customizesable tiles -> more options (i want this tile in green and this in yellow)
  • advantages of win RT -> Fileexplorer, user accounts and maybe for big devices to seperate apps -> mulittasking
  • VPN Support
this are things which i know just by watching at the phone in a store, since i haven't yet got mine.

justusfernz

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
Seriously needs the ability to save phone numbers to the phone using the phone dialer while the user is in a call... I am able to type the numbers but the save option is not available, and when i end the call the whole thing goes away... I believe its a basic necessity a smart phone should have...

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
While it doesn't have a simple switch or bedside mode you can just go into settings | ringtones+sounds and set texts, voicemail, email, and reminders to "none" and then only phone calls make noise.

Yep. A pain to have to deal with each one though rather than flipping one simple switch. In addition, unimportant calls or non-emergency calls from people you definitely don't want to get woken up by (wrong numbers, etc.) still get through in that scenario.

GizmoEV

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Seriously needs the ability to save phone numbers to the phone using the phone dialer while the user is in a call... I am able to type the numbers but the save option is not available, and when i end the call the whole thing goes away... I believe its a basic necessity a smart phone should have...

If you are needing to enter a number and save it while on a call all you need to do is hit the home button then go into the People hub and add a new contact.

justusfernz

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
If you are needing to enter a number and save it while on a call all you need to do is hit the home button then go into the People hub and add a new contact.

I agree friend, but it will be easy if the option is available in the dialer itself... And you wont have to keep the receiver waiting, specially when you are talking with your higher officials... When not in a call we are able to save contact from dialer itself...

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I agree friend, but it will be easy if the option is available in the dialer itself... And you wont have to keep the receiver waiting, specially when you are talking with your higher officials... When not in a call we are able to save contact from dialer itself...

Oh come on...

Vlad Ciprian

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
Notification Center
Ghost Notifications
Quick Settings
Voice Assistant
Separate Volume Levels
A proper Calendar app
Built-in stopwatch/timer
Built-in flashlight
Ability to send and answer sms from computer
API for video/music upload
System-wide speech recognition in EVERY message box
Bed-time mode (if I plug it in at 11pm, I want it to be silent till 7am)
More accent colors
The possibility to make ALL tiles the same color
Backgrounds (just because it would'nt hurt anybody)
Another tile size (3*2 maybe)
More customization for IE
Better facebook integration
A structured(!!!) settings menu!!! This is embarrassing!
A clean App Store! You can't find any official apps within all these fake apps! Quality, not quantity!

WhatsApp integration would be so nice, but this is very unlikely

and many many future, and videocall network,

Vlad Ciprian

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
Holy mother you're not kidding ... and get rid of the stupid text preview it's driving me insane (like I need help with that?! ... I am missing some sort of VPN / remote desk / phone - computer connection badly! ... And after toggling *off* airplane mode - then back on ~ it turned on my wireless connection ??? ...
And add more reminders than *just one* for the calendar - please!
SMART DIALING!
Alpha Slider in the phone book!
Alpha Slider in the Music (phone book? - Play list? - Address Book? - Artist List!)
Gapless Playback - dear heavens - please!!!
For heaven's sake - meta tags in the photo albums!
No haptic feedback?!
OMG - I'm ticking myself off ... I gotta get outta here before I go to the VZW store ... I love the camera ...

bravo, aand many future, ex. videocall network !!!

Feb 8, 2014
Visit site
I could not find this using search so asking here.

In my Android phone, while using a headset, I can simply click the call reveive button on the headset and start music . It'll open the default music player and continue from where it had stopped.
In WP I have to unlock the phone and open the music app to do an easy task like play music.
Even the voice app to open Nokia Music does not work with screen off.
Any way to make the cal receive button make music play from where I have left off ?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)