(Official) What WP needs to succeed

blindpuppie

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
A while back life with my cell phone was less than ideal. In ten months I went through eleven phones, by four manufacturers and three operating systems. As a "recreational" user this is what I got out of the experience.
Apple is a class act. They've done a great job offering a quality build, easy to use OS that integrates with their range of products. All with longevity and customer service in mind. With style.
Android. A bazzilion choices. Both in devices and customization of those devices.
I really like the Apple hardware. Apple does why it does very well. And if what it does suites you its a good choice. I wanted something outside of Apple's offerings.
Android for myself was just extreme in the other direction. Too much of everything. Like apps in both. Take one minute to view each app and you lost a year and half of your life without sleep.
All three systems, WINDOWS being the third, work really well.
I settled for Windows for the following reasons.
Silly, but Windows was fun. The live tiles are just a joy. The foundation is there. Arguably Windows has the best social hub. The OS works smoothly and consistent. Sure there are some growing pains. The system as a whole works better than it's individual parts imply.
Windows, like all operating systems, isn't going to be for everyone. But for the vast majority of users, who are not power users, it is a wonderful easy to use device. Windows is in the enviable position to create a better system and is.
If you have little or no prior experience with cell phones and try these three, chances are, like myself, you'll choose Windows. For what it is. Not because it lacks something you are use to.

zlx

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
After I had to hard-reset my phone recently, I really missed a full-backup solution: Not only backup Apps, but also the homescreen with all the tiles, sizes, alignment etc.

I also miss

• a better native calendar
    profiles (as mentioned above) for switching on/off different connectivity functions at once

Besides these functions, I really think they should better promote WP. In the stores as well as when speaking to key account managers I have the impression that they should do a better job. WP is a great product, has a lot of potential - in Italy for example they already have more marketshare than iPhone :)

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I could not find this using search so asking here.

In my Android phone, while using a headset, I can simply click the call reveive button on the headset and start music . It'll open the default music player and continue from where it had stopped.
In WP I have to unlock the phone and open the music app to do an easy task like play music.
Even the voice app to open Nokia Music does not work with screen off.
Any way to make the cal receive button make music play from where I have left off ?

That's how my Lumia 521 works too, both with BT in the car and my plug-in headset. Don't know why it doesn't work for you.

GizmoEV

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I agree friend, but it will be easy if the option is available in the dialer itself... And you wont have to keep the receiver waiting, specially when you are talking with your higher officials... When not in a call we are able to save contact from dialer itself...

So basically if it isn't the way you want it it isn't there? It is ok to not have known about it until now but come on. You can be entering a new contact while on a call in less than 1 second longer than just entering it into the dialer, furthermore, it won't beep into the ear of the caller like some phones do.

justusfernz

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
So basically if it isn't the way you want it it isn't there? It is ok to not have known about it until now but come on. You can be entering a new contact while on a call in less than 1 second longer than just entering it into the dialer, furthermore, it won't beep into the ear of the caller like some phones do.

hmmm... May be it wont beep... Still an option is always an option... And having an option is always better than not having one... I mean what harm does it do... Even though its not the biggest demerit.

Boris Lozac

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
I still can't get over the redicolous decision (or design flaw) of how the multitasking works. If you switch apps via multitasking (long hold the back key) you instantly get back in the apps. BUT if you press a Tile of that app, it launches it again from scratch... FFS, why??

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I still can't get over the redicolous decision (or design flaw) of how the multitasking works. If you switch apps via multitasking (long hold the back key) you instantly get back in the apps. BUT if you press a Tile of that app, it launches it again from scratch... FFS, why??

Good point.

GizmoEV

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site

That is a function of how the app was programmed. If rapid resume wasn't used then the app restarts. The apps I have with rapid resume generally do fine and start up quickly.

Boris Lozac

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
That is a function of how the app was programmed. If rapid resume wasn't used then the app restarts. The apps I have with rapid resume generally do fine and start up quickly.

That's fine, but why does every app rapidly resumes from the multitask window, and not from the tile, if it sits there in the background already..

Cryio

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
I think WP 8.1 will be what WP8 will need to succeed. The only limitation remaining seems to be the 30 mins update cycle. But besides that, Microsoft brought on the big guns.

GizmoEV

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
That's fine, but why does every app rapidly resumes from the multitask window, and not from the tile, if it sits there in the background already..

MetroMail doesn't have the issue you describe but I have found that some apps do so this is why I say it has to do with how the app was written. Talk with the app developers.

Boris Lozac

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
I thought people were kidding about that vibration thing, for some reason i never noticed that. Only vibrates for the first time and then just rings.. W_T_F Microsoft?

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I thought people were kidding about that vibration thing, for some reason i never noticed that. Only vibrates for the first time and then just rings.. W_T_F Microsoft?

The basic phone functions in WP are incredibly lacking in features. WTF is indeed the most common reaction I think. WP has less phone/text features than almost any 10 year old feature phone. Slightly better in Update 3.

abel920

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
The basic phone functions in WP are incredibly lacking in features. WTF is indeed the most common reaction I think. WP has less phone/text features than almost any 10 year old feature phone. Slightly better in Update 3.
3 more painstaking months ='(. But the feature-feast is coming to town! Thank god college will keep me busy.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Phones being available to all networks so 929 icon can be available internationally and phone like the lumia 620 are easier to purchase on the US.

LumiaIcon

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
just cool apps like android and ios..

The selection of apps is fine. As a recent Android convert to WP, I notice that the quality, detail, refinement and usability of WP apps suffers. Don't get me wrong I love my new phone, but even Microsoft developed apps look better and more refined on Android, which is odd.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo