This is why Windows Phone 8 / Xbox Music will never work (support chat included)

profet

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Please wait for an agent to respond. You are currently '1' in the queue.
Privacy Statement
You are now chatting with 'Cristina D.'.
Cristina D.: Hello , my name is Cristina D. with Microsoft Support. Please give me a few moments as I review the information you've submitted.
Benjamin: Hello. No problem.
Cristina D.: Hello Benjamin
Cristina D.: If I understand you can not play the music you downloaded with the music pass
Cristina D.: because you are getting a DRM error, is that right?
Benjamin: Correct. I also can't stream music.
Cristina D.: Did you trial period finish yesterday or today?
Benjamin: I have it set to auto renew. The auto renewal date is 1/1/2013
Cristina D.: You can not stream music neither?
Cristina D.: Have you tried on your computer?
Benjamin: correct.
Benjamin: Yes
Cristina D.: And it is not working on the computer and neither on the phone?
Cristina D.: Could you give me please your windows live ID?
Benjamin: <<snip>>
Benjamin: ok... now I can stream from my computer (after clicking through the error message)
Benjamin: i can not play downloaded content
Cristina D.: Ok
Cristina D.: Can you try again on your phone for streaming please?
Benjamin: It's telling me it can't because I'm streaming from another device.
Benjamin: But I can't figure out how to stop streaming on my pc
Benjamin: what a mess. WTB spotify
Cristina D.: I am going to send you a security code to the email you provided to check the subscription status. Could you write it for me once received please?
Benjamin: sure
Cristina D.: Thanks
Benjamin: How do I stop streaming on the windows 8 client?
Benjamin: Microsoft Support Code: <<snip>>
Cristina D.: Thanks
Cristina D.: You should see a small case to stop the song...
Benjamin: its not playing... yet the windows phone client insists it can't stream because another client is streaming.
Cristina D.: Ok
Cristina D.: Give me a minute
Cristina D.: Ok Benjamin
Cristina D.: You can not download any song because the payment is being charged today
Benjamin: um... what?
Benjamin: That makes zero sense and you know it.
Cristina D.: No
Benjamin: So I can't play music on days when the payment is being charged?
Cristina D.: When the trial period is renewing
Cristina D.: it takes 24 hours to refresh
Benjamin: But its not set to renew until the 1st.
Cristina D.: that is why you can not download anyn song
Cristina D.: The billing date is today
Cristina D.: You can check it by yourself on billing.microsoft.com
Benjamin: Look... i'm about to leave on a road trip and was planning on using my xbox music pass for the trip.
Cristina D.: You will be able to use it after 24 hours
Benjamin: If you're telling me that that wont be possible today, then I am canceling my account, returning this windows phone 8 device and going back to the android ecosystem and spotify.
Cristina D.: As you want
Benjamin: ...
Cristina D.: I can not force the system to make it quicker
Cristina D.: It takes 24 hours
Benjamin: ok... I would like to speak to someone else. I'm not satisfied with that result.
Cristina D.: Another option is to hard reset the phone
Cristina D.: After that configuring it manually without adding the windows live ID
Benjamin: how in the world would that help? I can't play music on my windows 8 PC client.
Cristina D.: Then restart the phone and add the WLID
Cristina D.: And then connect to the Marketplace and download a song
Cristina D.: You can not download but you can play on stream for this 24 hours
Benjamin: Please escalate me to someone else. I'm not satisfied.
Cristina D.: I can not escalate you for that
Cristina D.: There are two solutions
Cristina D.: Until you try them, the tech lead won't take your case.
Benjamin: I am unwilling to hard reset my entire phone because the xbox music ecosystem was poorly designed and integrated. So please escalate

paulm187

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
Easy, I had the same issue when the trial period ended and was transitioning to my paid sub. Never happened again after I was on full membership.

moegumby

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
24 hours? Really? I'm sure I could survive 24 hours without services. Sync a few gigs of tunes to the phone and your good to go. In a few hours you won't have this problem again. Life goes on!
Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express

narv

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
chances are Microsoft (just like apple) uses a 3rd party company for their chat support and you have someone that works from home. Just from their English and grammar you can tell. I have a friend that works in the chat support on apple's website. She works from home, on her laptop, and works for a different company, doing 3 chats at once. Every time you say something to them, they have to respond within a certain number of seconds.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I think its just because you were switching from a trial pass to a paid pass. I NEVER have this issue with my ongoing paid subscription.

I occasionally get some streaming errors but they are usually just temporary. I've never used Spotify for a long period of time. But I bet you will have these issues on any DRM system occasionally. Its why I still actually buy music I truly like and want to always have.

I use the music pass to stream music that I haven't heard and want to hear to see if I like or if occasionally I want to hear a variety of music I don't listen to often so I don't own.

Anyone expecting a gap free music streaming service long term has some really foolish expectations.

lucas.scott

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
FWIW, a factory reset DOES remedy the issue. We do it for our customers multiple times a week.

WP8 makes restoring your info relatively painless as well. The rep provided you with an option, but you were quick to dismiss. While it may not "make sense", it has worked multple times for our customers as well as a personal friend of mine. Give it a shot. You have nothing to lose at this point but tile layout.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
OP's experience is an example of "lousy user experience," and Microsoft needs to fix it.

"Have patience" or "chill" is a bad response, especially when the competition doesn't impose the restriction.

wharfratg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
"Benjamin: If you're telling me that that wont be possible today, then I am canceling my account, returning this windows phone 8 device and going back to the android ecosystem and spotify."

I'm not defending the lack of customer service you received, but taking the d-bag approach will only lessen your chances of having someone really try to help you.

ryan.kruger

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Working in this field for another company, I read your chat and think you're a total a-hole.

I wouldn't have helped you either, FWIW.

Benjamin: But I can't figure out how to stop streaming on my pc
Benjamin: what a mess. WTB spotify

First. A threat. Super.

Cristina D.: You can not download any song because the payment is being charged today
Benjamin: um... what?
Benjamin: That makes zero sense and you know it.

The way you respond to this... I think the chat was all down hill from here. The advisor got defensive, and you tried to give all your reasoning for not following her troubleshooting to escalate the issue.

A few pointers. The cooler you are calling in or chatting with support representatives, the cooler they will be with you. And secondly, treat people like you'd want to be treated, bub.

ryan.kruger

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
To each their own. I'm very good at what I do, and do well for myself. If that was based on my professionalism, or my personal opinion on a forum... I'd have to go with the former.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb