Substitute apps - what's the deal?

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone else wonder why we often can't get a popular application, yet there are 5 substitute/clone apps of it available?

It just seems odd to me that for some reason it's too difficult or cost prohibitive for a big developer to give us a version of their app, say Instagram, yet it is no problem for some 14 year old kid to develop a clone of it in his parents basement with nowhere near the resources or money of a big developer.

Can someone explain to me how this is the case? I just don't get it.

Luckily, it hasn't been an issue for me because I don't care about Instagram and there are native WP versions of pretty much every app I want. However I think it's pretty lame than when a potential new user comes along and asks if we have a certain app half of us tell them the app is stupid and they shouldn't use it anyway and the other half suggest a dozen knockoffs of the app when all the person wants is the real thing.

I really don't get it though. How hard could it be to make a damn Instagram app or whatever when some young punk developer living on ramen noodles can seem to crank out a clone of it in an afternoon?

Jnbs

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
Because they don't want to is that simple.. Honestly I am relying on 3rd party developers more and more their sacrifice and effort is to be recognized.. I just don't care about those big companies I prefer 3rd party just look at 4th and Mayor or Rowi way better than 4square and twitter official apps.. Instagram sigh they are just stubborn and don't want to do it..

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
4th & Major is much better than the Official foursquare app.

I do agree thou why can't these developers just put together a simple app. Yelp comes to mind, they are just a version of yellow pages yet on iOS they add social things like checking in and writing a review from your phone.

For instagram, there are only instagram viewers, like instacam, and metrogram. So far the only thing close to it is fhotoroom, yet they are WP7 and WP8 exclusive.

GabrielStorm

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
part of the reason, imho, is that iOS and Android are more established and have larger user bases.
i have been trying to find an alternative to an app i had on iOS and Android for a few weeks. Nothing.
not even a suitable alternative.

when WP gets a larger user base, then the devs. will put an app out for us.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
On the other hand if they would put the app out it might very well drive up wp8 device sales and increase the developers revenue more as well.

Funky Cricket

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
chicken and egg, dev's won't come because there is no user base, there is no user base because there are no apps. MS just needs to get the check book out and pay for some major apps.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm not asking why developers don't make the popular apps for us so much as I am wondering how it could possibly be too much trouble for them to do so when some random guy in his garage can seem to manage it with no money or resources.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Maybe its the whole chequebook thing. Everyone knows Microsoft has been throwing money at developers. Why bother using your own money, when you can wait for Microsoft to chuck you a huge bung, for a half hearted app.
Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro1_342 using Board Express

mpelti

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
4th and mayor and rowi are exceptions, many other 3rd party apps are not that good. A big part of it is being a matter of trust. You're already trusting your personal information to a site like 4square or twitter, now are you going to trust a 3rd party with that login info?

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
4th and mayor and rowi are exceptions, many other 3rd party apps are not that good. A big part of it is being a matter of trust. You're already trusting your personal information to a site like 4square or twitter, now are you going to trust a 3rd party with that login info?

With these apps you're not giving the third party app your login info. The app takes you to the foursquare or twitter website, to a page that authenticates you and allows you the option of allowing or denying the app the privilege of posting on your behalf. Once you do this, the website hands a token back to the app, which is then used for authentication from that point on. The developer never gets your login info. Other apps that access Facebook work the same way.

Don't get me wrong, there are some apps or sites that don't work this way, but with the ones that you've cited, this is how it works. They use OAUTH which is an open authorization protocol.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
Just a thought. Kind of wonder if some of the major app developers are getting paid under the desk to not develope for smaller share OSs. It would be to IOS and Android advantage for Instagram to not develope a WP app.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Just a thought. Kind of wonder if some of the major app developers are getting paid under the desk to not develope for smaller share OSs. It would be to IOS and Android advantage for Instagram to not develope a WP app.

It wouldn't have to be under the table. Nokia is very open about their exclusive apps. Why should Apple or Google be any different? But yes, good point. I doubt it, though. There's enough disincentive out there for them to develop on WP until it gets bigger, that I can't see Apple or Google spending actual money on this.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99