Some questions for the Google ---> Microsoft switchers

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
So, lets say I want to move away from Google and into Outlook.com and the rest...

Does Outlook.com offer a solid calendar?

How about Skydrive and the online MS Office tools? Are they as well-integrated into Outlook.com as the equivalent Google apps (Google Docs etc) are?

Are all of these things cross platform? In other words, if I have an Android tablet, is it going to be able to access all of these resources as well?

Curious to hear some of your personal experiences with this. I'm probably not going to abandon Gmail entirely, but I would like to give Outlook.com and the rest a good try and see if perhaps I could walk away from Gmail entirely...

Darkgift

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
I've used both, even before Android/WP8, and you really can't beat Microsoft on any of the matters you mentioned. They're email layout is better and more functional, even more so now with Outlook (Hotmail was my go to til Outlook). And as far as web based apps like Word as compared to Docs, its no contest. Microsoft is and will remain the leader in that area, be it web based or actual applications. I have a Gmail account and I never use it. Microsofts calendar is just as good if not better than Google's. Plus Microsoft isn't as intrusive on your personal info and browsing as Google is. And with all Bing has to offer, I never use Google search anymore either. And they should have apps for all in Android platform. I know it sounds like I'm a Microsoft ******, and maybe I am, but over the years I really have given all services a try from AOL to Yahoo, to Google, and Hotmail (now Outlook) has always been my constant. They simply outshine the rest.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I find that outlook.com email is superior to gmail. I love the sweep function for getting rid of a lot of email from the same sender... for example (cnet.com) newsletters.

Google Calendar is superior to Outlook.com, but Office 365 is much better than both. But it cost around $72 per year or $6 per month.

Lastly for Docs, Skydrive with office online beats Google drive and google docs. It isn't even close. I find it annoying when gmail asked me if I wanted to open a work document in google docs or download. I always chose to download it because sometimes formatting would be an issue on google docs.

Formatting between Skydrive with Office and your Word 2010, Excel 2010 and powerpoint, do not change. They are consistent.

As i just said in another thread, I am hoping that the calendar gets upgraded in ease of use, and ads more options. Microsoft has been a leader in productivity software for over 20 years. Excel and Outlook are the best in the business. I hope they bring some of the Outlook 2010 / Outlook 2011 for Mac to Outlook.com

Last edited:

poots1101

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I love outlook email versus gmail. easily setting up an alias (for dummy web shopping accounts) is really nice and very simple.
IMO, the calendar function still lacks behind google cal, but i think it's just because it's still behind the new UI (looks like hotmail). i'm sure once it's updated it'll be on par (or close enough) to googlecal.

skydive is amazing. google docs and drive are a joke. and, skydrive for android is a good app (can't say the same for the outlook app for android).

i'm literally steps away from not using any google services. the calendar is probably the last thing holding me back. oh, and google voice. damn you free sms/visual voicemail.

Noahma

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
It literally took me 20 min. to move everything over to outlook.com, easy as pie. I only have two things I use Google for besides web searches. Music, and Voice. The calendar does not seem to be that bad, The only problem I have is the inability to invite other people via email to attend an event I have scheduled.

pulkit10

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I use both regularly as well. Outlook more for official purposes and Gmail for personal stuff so I am an active user on both. If you are considering migrating over, I doubt you'd find a lot different except that the interface is nicer and Microsoft has worked hard at adding a few useful features. Currently, I'd rate Outlook higher than Gmail but bear in mind that they are both excellent to me.

That (apart from the calendar) are Google's only strongpoints. I am no fan of Google Drive. Seems a little too messy for me and Skydrive just fits my needs better (not to mention that it offers a cleaner interface AND more storage) and yes, you'll find seamless integration with Office Web Apps which are excellent - the best "web-based" Office solution I have used really.

If you are a Windows Phone user, I don't need to tell you how well these services from Microsoft integrate into the phone...as for Android, you'll do fine. Google has the advantage of having a tighter integration with the OS but Android by nature relies more on different apps and widgets so Microsoft should be able to serve you fine with those.

Lastly, I'd say just use both...unless you have a grudge against Google.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
I switched to Outlook.com when it came out and haven't had any problems other than the usual account management problems I always run into with such services (Microsoft puts ridiculous time restraints on creating new aliases and changing the central address, while Google doesn't offer either capability at all).

Did Microsoft forget about the web calendar or something? I thought I heard word of it when Outlook.com first went live, but we're still stuck with the atrocious Windows Live site.

coercritoo

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I switched over from GMail to Outlook for a while, but I found I wasn't getting timely notifications on the phone that the email was in my in box. I was checking mail on desktop computer (not opening it), but didnt get a notification on phone, so I switched back to GMail - which was a shame as I liked Outlook.

Unless of course just me seeing the email in the inbox in Outlook.com on desktop stops a notification to the phone???

Gadgetman110

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
>> Unless of course just me seeing the email in the inbox in Outlook.com on desktop stops a notification to the phone???

I can. Depends on how you have your settings. If you are not set up to leave a copy of the message on the server then when you look at the email it will remove it from outlook.com and it's possible this could happen before it gets to your phone.

I left the G world completely over a month ago. I never really did like their stuff.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
So, lets say I want to move away from Google and into Outlook.com and the rest...

Does Outlook.com offer a solid calendar? I think so. If I need more options than my phone gives me, I go to the computer.

How about Skydrive and the online MS Office tools? Are they as well-integrated into Outlook.com as the equivalent Google apps (Google Docs etc) are? I've been using Skydrive more lately, since I've gotten a Surface.

Are all of these things cross platform? In other words, if I have an Android tablet, is it going to be able to access all of these resources as well? Cant help here. My Kindle Fire is the only Android os I've used.

Curious to hear some of your personal experiences with this. I'm probably not going to abandon Gmail entirely, but I would like to give Outlook.com and the rest a good try and see if perhaps I could walk away from Gmail entirely...

I don't use any Google except for YouTube. I use Bing exclusively. All my email has been converted from gmail to live.com. Well, all the gmail I can! I feel if I'm going to use WP8/RT I need to be invested in the whole system.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
Glad I found this thread. I think I am going to make the jump from WebOS (using gmail) to WP8 tomorrow. Thanks to all the posters giving their 2 cents.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
The only thing to keep in mind is that Microsoft still hasn't updated their web-based calendar for Outlook.com. It's ugly as ****, and some functionality is a little buried or a little confusing. Their redesign was supposed to be done by the end of the summer, but that hasn't happened yet.

Also, for mail, there's no way to set up a filter to automatically mark messages as read (on Gmail, my receipts from Steam and from the WP7 store were filtered to their own folder, where they were also automatically marked read).

Other than that though, I much prefer Outlook.com.

Since someone mentioned Bing above, if you use Windows Phone, definitely consider switching to Bing so you can use their rewards and get $5 free of WP apps every so often.

BeaverJuicer

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Unless of course just me seeing the email in the inbox in Outlook.com on desktop stops a notification to the phone???
Exactly. Opening the email on your desktop or online now marks that email as "read" and will no longer give an unread email notification.

I find it to be instantaneous between the devices. I got bored and tested this. Sent a new email from my work account to my outlook account, with outlook.com open. I got the notification a split second later on my phone than on my desktop (but literally, less than a second difference... Could just be the time it took the live tile animation.) I opened it on the desktop, and instantly the notification on my phone went away. Opening an email on my phone, took 3 seconds to mark as read on outlook.com.

jhguth

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
In regards to the Android tablet, Skydrive is available as an app for Android. And the calendar and everything else will sync as an account you add.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99