Problem Syncing to SD Card.....it disappears (virtually)

racerjim

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I don't know if this is an SD card problem, a phone problem or a Windows 7 problem. But i've done this twice now with two different W7 computers...same result:

Insert SD card into phone (SanDisk Ultra 64 GB microSDXC Class 10 UHS-1) Phone recognizes card and allows me to store music on it.
Plug phone into computer. Computer recognizes the phone, and the SD card as separate devices.
Go to Win Media Player. Sync music to SD card (3 CD's worth. Finishes successfully. Music shows up on SD card, and can be played.
Sync more music to SD card, another 3 CDs worth, same outcome this goes on a few more times
Eventually, during a sync of additional music, the sync doesn't finish, the sync result message for tracks stops saying "syncd to device" and starts saying "stopped". The SD card is no longer recognized, either on the phone or on the computer. The music cannot be seen on the phone.

I take the card out of the phone, insert it into the computer. I'm prompted to "fix damaged files". if I do this, the folders with the music are there and can be accessed.

I can transfer music onto the SD card in the computer, physically move it to the phone, and can see and use the files on the phone.

Any idea about what is going on here, and how to stop it? It seems to me that the computer is having trouble writing the files to the phone.

Thanks,

Jim

leftturney

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Do you have a password enabled on your phone? I have noticed that my usb wont connect while the phone is locked. Maybe the phone is locking during sync

VelJharig

May 31, 2011
Visit site
I've had the same problem with a SanDisk Ultra 64 GB SDXC UHS-1 on my Ativ S. Symptoms are exactly the same, including the prompt to fix the card when inserting the card into a computer. That's the only way I can get the card to mount on the phone again. I've been copying media directly from a PC to the SD card as a workaround, which seems to work fine. Because the card works without lockups when directly attached to the PC, this appears to be a problem with the MTP driver for Windows Phone 8 devices. It would be nice to see this acknowledged as a known issue.

Mark Roffey

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Exactly the same happens to me.

Same SD Card. Same everything.

For all the improvements they've made to WP8. They've really messed up on the basics.

Makes me annoyed.

SORT IT OUT MICROSOFT

ooshp

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm also having issues, same SD card, once it reaches 20+GB of music it starts to have issues.

WP App won't recognise any music on the SD card, WMP evenly splits the music between the phone and the SD card (there is no music on the phone according to the phone itself and to windows explorer) and won't read anything it believes is on the phone (as it isn't on the phone). All very strange.

I'm having to copy the old fashioned way (it's awesome that MS have supported drag and drop copying this time around!) which doesn't bother me too much, except that explorer is pretty slow running via usb -> phone -> sd card.

Would be nice to be able to automatically sync new tunes from the phone to pc, as the xbox music marketplace is now my primary source of new music.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett