Nokia Drive+ Beta Feedback Request

Sharpmango

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
I've had the issue where map starts updating as well. Even if i close the app (infinite back button), the problem persists when i restart the app. The only way i can stop it is to reboot the phone. More of a feature problem is that in the UK, even when i need to stay on a motorway it might say 'exit right'. Basically this happens whenever a motorway has a major exit come up on the left. It sounds quite bizarre to be told to exit right when all i need to do is keep on driving straight. This means for long journies it never states how long the motorway portion is on the top.. Because it keeps on restarting the counter everytime i 'exit right'... Google maps doesn't do this...

robmif76

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Coming from the iOS world and having used Tomtom as my regular satnav these are my issues with drive: -
1) no speed camera alerts
2) no lane assist
3) power drain
4) no offline POI search
5) screen real estate not used properly hence not able to display all the available data simultaneously

For these reasons it is completely unusable for me and counts as yet another half backed feature/app.

cuzincurly

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
directions in text
and update your maps on some other countries like the Philippines

I showed Nokia maps to some people including my brother who's a garmin map user and they were impressed

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Coming from the iOS world and having used Tomtom as my regular satnav these are my issues with drive: -
1) no speed camera alerts
2) no lane assist
3) power drain
4) no offline POI search
5) screen real estate not used properly hence not able to display all the available data simultaneously

For these reasons it is completely unusable for me and counts as yet another half backed feature/app.

Well the TomTom app costs something where as the Nokia Drive app is free for Lumia users. I don't expect much just the basics really.

Chris Gregory

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
I have an issue with Drive (and to GPS in general)
If i travel to another country and have roaming off, I cannot get a gps lock. It sits there for 20 minutes until it gets too hot to hold.

I have also installed gpsinfo and seen that it cant get a location lock either without data turned on.
turn on roaming, i get a lock in 5 seconds, but it costs me $10.

Cant really use this phone travelling in this state.
any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

racerjim

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I've noticed that when starting a route, if the phone doesn't have a GPS lock, it seems to "guess" where it is, which can lead you down incorrect paths. I think it would be OK if it <told> you how it was locating you, my old TomTom did the opposite, wouldn't start routing until it had a GPS lock then <I> had to guess where I was, or wait until it locked and started an accurate route.

Also, it seems the NAVTEQ maps are not as up to date as Google or TeleAtlas, and the routing suffers. A recent route stopped in the middle of an interstate highway because the map didn't have a road that paralled the highway.

Bigfireq

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I like the general idea of the app, but I've also had a lot of problems and suggestions.

1) Tell me Highway direction, not Road Name city. Highways generally have multiple signs, and most of them are along the lines of 405 South. The app uses 405 Tacoma which, while there is usually a sign that says that, is right at the exit, giving you little time to decide which lane to be in. VERY FRUSTRATING.

2) There should be a route list. It's very useful to see the entire route, or at least the next couple of turns, and there's no way I've found to do so. It'd be very easy to access it by hitting the next road at the top to bring up the list.

3) I'd like to see both remaining time and time of arrival on the main screen.

4) It'd be nice if it could announce which side my destination is on.

5) Set destinations should allow me to pick from my contacts list for addresses.

aaa6112

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I like the general idea of the app, but I've also had a lot of problems and suggestions.

1) Tell me Highway direction, not Road Name city. Highways generally have multiple signs, and most of them are along the lines of 405 South. The app uses 405 Tacoma which, while there is usually a sign that says that, is right at the exit, giving you little time to decide which lane to be in. VERY FRUSTRATING.

2) There should be a route list. It's very useful to see the entire route, or at least the next couple of turns, and there's no way I've found to do so. It'd be very easy to access it by hitting the next road at the top to bring up the list.

3) I'd like to see both remaining time and time of arrival on the main screen.

4) It'd be nice if it could announce which side my destination is on.

5) Set destinations should allow me to pick from my contacts list for addresses.
plus 1.

Dustin Jackson

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
My biggest issue with the app is the auto-zoom back to you location. I like that it does take me back to my current location, but it zooms in so tight you can only view a half a block or something. It also does this pretty quickly after I adjust how I want to see the route.

I generally like to see 25-30% of any particular route. So I zoom out (WHICH ENTIRELY TOO MANY TAPS ON THE "-" SIGN) and then 3 seconds later it zooms me right back in to the spot. I would be fine if it centered my location, but didn't adjust the zoom.

Grayham Roper

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
I sent feedback through the app but thought I would mention it here too.

I had problems with the GPS not fixing to the correct location. Rebooting the app or phone didn't solve the problem.

there was a lag between turining and drive realising I had turned.

Misleading notification of turnes. Like being told to keep left on a perfectly straight main road when driving pats a junction joining from the right. Keep right when going round a bend with no junctions at all.

Being told to keel left then keep right at a complex junction where I needed to continue left. I did need to then be in the right hand lane but not for 500 metres or so. When the original instruction was givin there was an immidiate right turn after the original left.

No speed camera locations. limited poi, no lane assist.

I had Nokia Drive on my N8 which was an excellent app. Much better than some of the dedicated satnav's I have owned. Nokia seem to have ruined it on WP8.

E Lizzle

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
[*]Failure to re-calculate a route with insistence on making an unwanted U-turn

I encounter this frequently. The routing seems to aggressively seek highways. When driving southwest, from a rural town to a mid-sized city, Drive wanted me to turn onto a road and backtrack NE, in order to get on the highway at a point that would not at all save time or distance.

Drive's proposed routing: FL-15 S/FL-700 E/US-441 S/US-98 S to Jog Rd - Google Maps
A sane routing: FL-15 S/FL-700 E/US-441 S/US-98 S to Jog Rd - Google Maps

As I drove past SR76 Kanner Highway, Drive kept suggesting that I make a uturn, instead of rerouting to something like this FL-15 S/FL-700 E/US-441 S/US-98 S to Jog Rd - Google Maps . It did this for many, many miles. Other navigation systems that I had going at the same time, a Garmin handheld using CIty Nav NA and Google Maps, rerouted within a mile or two.

This is just one example, but it's the one I remember clear enough to accurately relay.

-E

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
My wife told me she loved the navigation, but there wasn't a feature to find a Starbucks in route and redirect via it.

Is this true (feature request!) or is there a way?

Thanks

swyftmeister

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
July 2013 - latest Nokia Drive Beta on AT&T Lumia 920

Features/functions that need to be updated / changed:

1) The app occasionally hangs on "resuming..." if an alternative app was previously accessed while navigation was in-process. Verbal directions continue but screen shows "restoring". Have to reboot phone to "fix"
2) Verbal directions always say "take the exit" when you are in fact staying on the existing route/road number. Should verbally command "remain on current road".
3) When driving through a complex interchange / route intersection (New York!) then the display should temporarily zoom into a detailed layout of the interchange with clear large graphics highlighting the "exit" or route change. In New York there are often 4 or 5 choices of "exit". TomTom have a good approach to this problem where the device temporarily shows a detailed graphic highlighting the specific exit.

Otherwise an excellent app and maps.

Thank you.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro