Probably the Ace in the hand of Microsoft!

Klevis

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
In anandtech there was an article about the new Intel Atom processors. Apparently they have reached the same power consumption as the Krait processors but are more powerful. This is very good news, but what is even more interesting is the fact that Intel is using a 28 nm architecture and latter they will use a 22 nm architecture that will decrease power consumption even more. This is a tectonical shift in the smartphone industry and the only winners can be Nokia and Microsoft. The new OS (maybe after 2 generations) will be able to run legacy programs, bringing the game to Microsoft's field where Microsoft is the undisputed king. Until now Nokia and Microsoft have played by the rules of Apple and Google, where they have most of the developers' attention. Furthermore the OS will be unified among smartphones, tablets and PCs with small changes to optimize the experience at different screen sizes.

This shows the genius of Microsoft. They have created 3 different OSs (WP8, W8 RT and W8) which share the same user interface but they are optimized for different screen sizes but also for different power consumption levels. The latter creates fragmentation in the Microsoft world because a mix of ARM and x86 architectures had to be implemented, and the ARM architecture is fragmented again (WP8 and W8 RT) in order to increase productivity and give a richer experience (more similar to PC) in tablets compared to smarphones. Right now, Microsoft is taking a lot of bashing for their Metro interface, but in the medium term (2-3 years probably) it will be what Win95 was for Microsoft. Microsoft will probably become a monopoly not only in PCs but also in the mobile world and a bigger one at that, since the power of the ecosystem (smartphones, tablets and PCs sharing the same OS) will reinforce it.

This is of course a speculation because in the tech world it is almost impossible to predict what will happen in 2 years, but this is a prediction of trend. An even crazier prediction is: Nokia will be the new Apple in the mobile world and Microsoft will be the 1 trillion $ behemoth of software. If Microsoft plays its hand well and doesn't make any stupid mistakes this is the future.

PS: I forgot to add Xbox in the mix and its possibilities to be an all in one entertainment center for the family which will include gaming, TV and music.

Nataku4ca

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
i read that article, it seems Qualcomm is doing quiet well as well, im just crossing my fingers hoping Haswell will be as good as intel says it is, because i need to get a new computer end of this year for my wife and i think a Tablet hybrid will do a lot for her (hoping for standalone gpu as well though...)

Klevis

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I guess you will have to check in detail the specifications of the devices you want to choose from. I agree that Qualcomm is making good chips and it will probably be a tough choice. As I said, in 2 years Intel will be a more serious contender, but now maybe it is too soon. The idea is that for everything there is the law of diminishing marginal returns. Suppose for example that you have an Intel processor which is as powerful as an ARM processor but 30% less efficient. Also suppose that the device i.e. a tablet uses half its energy for the processor and half its energy for everything else. That means that overall, the ARM tablet is 15% more efficient. So if the Intel tablet lasts for 10 hours in a charge, the ARM tablet will last for 11,5 hours. This is not a big deal when the benefit of the Intel tablet is that it runs legacy programs and not only apps.

Joshua Jackson

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I have been waiting for x86 phones, for years.
I wanted to install regular Windows on my phone as long as I've had a Windows Mobile phone.
If this does ever happen (no one has installed Windows 7 on the RAZR I, yet), I will be on-board.
JJ

rantanplan1980

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I have been waiting for x86 phones, for years.
I wanted to install regular Windows on my phone as long as I've had a Windows Mobile phone.
If this does ever happen (no one has installed Windows 7 on the RAZR I, yet), I will be on-board.
JJ

Even with x86 processors it's very unlikely to have Windows on these phones as you'd still have to get drivers for the hardware which don't exist. Maybe linux, but not Windows.

Joshua Jackson

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Even with x86 processors it's very unlikely to have Windows on these phones as you'd still have to get drivers for the hardware which don't exist. Maybe linux, but not Windows.
Well, there was a Windows XP and a Windows 7 phone, if you recall (ITG xpPhone 2 hands-on: Windows 7 on a smartphone).
It also ran on an Atom processor, so it is doable.
It may not support everything, but the basics should be workable.
JJ

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss