My point of view

Ludwig1976

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
First of all, sorry for my English.

I think we have not expect too much from future WP8 upgrades.
Some examples.

- Different volume for ringtone/music-games. It is ALREADY possible. Some games have their own volume and Nokia Music+Audio tool lets you to equalize and normalize music. So, it's possible for a thirdy part app to control music+games volume and we just need a media player with volume control. Will we ever got it? I don't think so. Programmers are not much interested in WP8, for a lot of reasons.

- Notification center/Repeated notification/Optional SMS toasts. All of these problem, already existed in Windows Mobile 6. **WM6!!!** :angry: Simply, that is how MS wants a mobile OS has to work. However, it is ALREADY possible to make at least Notification center and Repetead notification through an app. Will we ever got it? Again, I don't think so. Programmers are not much interested in WP8, for a lot of reasons.

And so on.

So, what is the point? WP8 misses a lot of features but a lot of them could be replaced by thirdy part app. So, sadly, we'll probably never get them or we'll get them too late and, surely, we'll never get them from MS. And this is exactly what MS wants. MS has NO interest in upgrade its OS. In fatc, if MS give you a perfect, rich, full opional OS, there will be NO NEED for WP9, WP10 and so on.

So, what all of you have now, is what all of you will have in the future. No big changes, no big improvements, no big upgrade, no big new features even if these features are basic. We have to hope in thirdy part apps, exactly how it was in WM6.

So, stop posting features suggestions on MS site about these, 'cause simply MS doesn't care.

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
My point of view is the complete opposite to yours and believe that MS do listen and take action on user feedback. You only need to compare WP 7.5 with WP 7.8 and WP 8 to see the improvements that have been made. Furthermore, the Portico update adds some more new features to WP 8 such as you can now add multiple recipients at the same time when you send a text message and automatically save unsent text messages as drafts. You can even edit received text messages before you forward them. They've also added the ability to reply to an incoming voice call with a pre-written text message.

Personally I've got high hopes for the future of WP 8 and I'm looking forward to future updates.

Ludwig1976

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I just see (small) improvements not based on customers requests. First 5 requests in MS Feature suggestions page (counting tens of thousands votes), for example, are still completely ignored by MS, exactly how they was ignored with WM6.

Nothing let me think that MS has started caring about customers needs, just because nothing has changed from WM to WP.. Same issues, same "type" of upgrades (WM6.5 introduced new Start Screen, just like WP7.8 did, ignoring in both cases a lot of much more important and basic customers requests), same delays and so on.

However, i envy your optimistic point of view :)

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
There are some things to remember:

Microsoft needs Windows Phone to succeed, just as it does Windows 8 for its very survival.

Sounds extreme, but the reality is that there will end up being more mobile connected devices than PCs if there aren't already. And if Microsoft are not in this game 150%, they'd better pack up shop now.

For that reason I would expect Windows Phone to progress rapidly with enhanced features. Remember this platform is still new - 2 years old and already on the second revision. I'm sure they have the next version well under way. If not, I need to sell stock.

Ludwig1976

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Remember this platform is still new - 2 years old and already on the second revision.

I don't think so. WM is years and years old and it lacks exactly same features that WP lacks now (profiles, optional text notifications, enhanced calendar, separate volumes, repeated notifications, etc.).

It's clear that these are anything but age related issues.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft themselves already said they had intended to put a notification center in WP8, they just ran out of time, so it will be in WP8.1 (Apollo Plus) so you can stop complaining about iit.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
goergtalk