Greg Sullivan: Windows phones selling like hotcakes in China and gaining success in USA

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft executives are pretty hyped about Windows Phone sales at the minute.While they are not revealing exact sales figures, we have already had Steve Ballmer talking about sales being 4 to 5 times higher at the end of last year.

Now we have Greg Sullivan, Senior Marketing Manager at Microsoft, in an interview with PCMag also delivering encouraging news.

He told PCMag Windows Phone 8 handsets were "selling like hotcakes in China," and that the OS was also gaining success with Nokia?s Windows Phones in the U.S.

He also repeated Ballmer?s statements that sales were five times higher for the last week of December when compared with a year earlier.
"The sales trends are there for Windows Phone," Sullivan said. "They are going in the right directly absolutely and strongly."
"There?s sales momentum, carrier momentum, and app momentum, with 125,000 apps," Sullivan noted.

"With Windows Phone 8, we?re in this for the long haul," Sullivan said. "We used to think about Windows as software on a PC, but it?s also on the server and in the cloud and in Skybox and other services even Xbox. Windows is not only Windows and Windows Phone. It?s across all parts of Microsoft."

[URL="http://www.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-selling-hotcakes-china-and-intel-speculation] Greg Sullivan: "selling like hotcakes in China and Intel Chip Speculation |WPCentral [/URL]

Yay!!!!. Go WP!!! :excited:.

Last edited by a moderator:

crazeee

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Seems the Chinese have an insatiable appetite for smartphones. Over 2 Million iPhone 5's were sold on it's launch weekend, and with a rumoured 300,000 Android devices being activated in China on a daily basis, it looks like the smartphone market is all to play for.

Last edited:

VisceralMonkey

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Yes, great news..oh wait, it's not like they have a vested interest. In the mean time, more and more devs dump it left and right. But lets just ignore the obvious warning signs, rights?

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Yes, great news..oh wait, it's not like they have a vested interest. In the mean time, more and more devs dump it left and right. But lets just ignore the obvious warning signs, rights?
But with the news of spirited sales, more and more devs will jump on. The platform is gaining momentum - bottom line. And so what if those with "vested interest" are enthusiastic? Would you prefer them to hold a presser stating how disappointed they are that WP8 hasn't surpassed iOS yet?

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
But with the news of spirited sales, more and more devs will jump on. The platform is gaining momentum - bottom line. And so what if those with "vested interest" are enthusiastic? Would you prefer them to hold a presser stating how disappointed they are that WP8 hasn't surpassed iOS yet?

No real sales numbers, stock price jumped 18% ... a pump n dump wet dream.

Yes, real sales numbers would be GREAT, broken down between wp7/wp8 devices, so developers can tell if its worthwhile or not.

The 920 (and wp8) sales are still in early-adopter mode.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site

Yes, real sales numbers would be GREAT, broken down between wp7/wp8 devices, so developers can tell if its worthwhile or not.

The 920 (and wp8) sales are still in early-adopter mode.
Are you saying because there are no pie charts, no diagrams, no spreadsheets that WP8 is not doing well? Do you honestly thing the adoption rate of WP8 is not exceeding that of 7? Unless you have solid numbers in front of you, there is no indication at all of even a anecdotal reason to be encouraged?

Good for you. But I bet that even if hard data was introduced, you'd still be unimpressed...

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Are you saying because there are no pie charts, no diagrams, no spreadsheets that WP8 is not doing well? Do you honestly thing the adoption rate of WP8 is not exceeding that of 7? Unless you have solid numbers in front of you, there is no indication at all of even a anecdotal reason to be encouraged?

Good for you. But I bet that even if hard data was introduced, you'd still be unimpressed...

First paragraph... well, yes, what else do we gauge success on ? Guestimates ?

Last sentence... I will truely be amazed, and impressed, if there is anything remotely near an iphone/sgs3 craze from the entire wp platform for Q4 2012. Why ? Because that means third place is going to be an awesome fight to watch between blackberry, wp, and whoever else tries.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
First paragraph... well, yes, what else do we gauge success on ? Guestimates ?

Last sentence... I will truely be amazed, and impressed, if there is anything remotely near an iphone/sgs3 craze from the entire wp platform for Q4 2012. Why ? Because that means third place is going to be an awesome fight to watch between blackberry, wp, and whoever else tries.

Ha! Now I recognize you - you're that grumpy cat meme that's splashed all over the net.

Yeah....I don't see long lineups or the popularity you're describing. But then we are talking about an o/s that's less than six months old and I don't expect that kind of consumer mania.

But I do expect you'll still be here decrying the failure of Windows phone like a mobile Diogenes three months from now.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Ha! Now I recognize you - you're that grumpy cat meme that's splashed all over the net.

Yeah....I don't see long lineups or the popularity you're describing. But then we are talking about an o/s that's less than six months old and I don't expect that kind of consumer mania.

But I do expect you'll still be here decrying the failure of Windows phone like a mobile Diogenes three months from now.

Nice distraction attempt from the topic. Moving on now.

JMBasquiat

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

4.4 million Nokia Lumias sold in Q4 2012; 2.9 million WP8 and the rest WP7. By contrast, Q4 2011 they sold 1 million Lumias in total.

HTC is also doing quite well according to preliminary analysis, and Samsung has also sold a few of the Ativ S.

This doesn't include China and India, two huge markets where Nokia has basically just starting selling their Lumias.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
4.4 million Nokia Lumias sold in Q4 2012; 2.9 million WP8 and the rest WP7. By contrast, Q4 2011 they sold 1 million Lumias in total.

HTC is also doing quite well according to preliminary analysis, and Samsung has also sold a few of the Ativ S.

This doesn't include China and India, two huge markets where Nokia has basically just starting selling their Lumias.

Mmm, I remember 2011, that was unfortunate. Iirc it was the announcement/rumour of wp8 that hurt sales that season. Where did you find the source for your breakdown of units sold ? All I've found is guestimates and non official sources so far.

The china stuff is wowwwwwww, that market is so huge and young, anything can happen. Not to mention they build them, and know the phones inside out.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Mmm, I remember 2011, that was unfortunate. Iirc it was the announcement/rumour of wp8 that hurt sales that season. Where did you find the source for your breakdown of units sold ? All I've found is guestimates and non official sources so far.

The china stuff is wowwwwwww, that market is so huge and young, anything can happen. Not to mention they build them, and know the phones inside out.

Most likely he got that number from here:

Nokia's Q4 performance exceeds expectations | Windows Phone Central

Have you seen this before it's where Elop the CEO of Nokia gives is his sales numbers for quarter 4-2012

Here let me quote it for you.

[NOTE]Preliminary estimates by Nokia indicate that the Finnish phone giant's Q4 2012 financial performance has exceeded expectations in their Devices & Services division, thanks in large part to the success of their Lumia line of Windows Phone devices. Their estimates suggest that Nokia achieved what it calls "underlying profitability" in Q4. In a press release, CEO Steven Elop shared his thoughts on the news:
"We are pleased that Q4 2012 was a solid quarter where we exceeded expectations and delivered underlying profitability in Devices & Services and record underlying profitability in Nokia Siemens Networks. We focused on our priorities and as a result we sold a total of 14 million Asha smartphones and Lumia smartphones while managing our costs efficiently, and Nokia Siemens Networks delivered yet another very good quarter."

It is estimated that Nokia totaled EUR 3.9 billion in the last three months of 2012 from sales of 86.3 million units. Of the 6.6 million smart devices sold, 4.4 million of those were Nokia Lumia devices powered by Windows Phone. This news jump started Nokia's stock, which shot up about 17% at the time of this story.​
[/NOTE]

I know what you are going to say how can we go by estimates. Well if the CEO of Nokia says it I would thank that those numbers would hold true.

Gaichuke

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site

Seriously, what is the original source for that 2.9M WP8's sold? That absolutely is not any official info from Nokia!

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Seriously, what is the original source for that 2.9M WP8's sold? That absolutely is not any official info from Nokia!

I would also like to know where the break down came from. I don't recall seeing the numbers broken down to that level in any of the articles I have read.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
now you've got me figured out... there are reasons i am always looking for the sources.

get fooled once and lose some dime, it sticks with ya.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I would also like to know where the break down came from. I don't recall seeing the numbers broken down to that level in any of the articles I have read.

2.9M Lumias were sold in Q3, so that's impressive considering that 4.4M were sold in only around 6 weeks rather than 3 months.
- Lumia Q3 volumes decreased quarter-on-quarter to 2.9 million units, as we shared the exciting innovation ahead with our new line of Lumia products.
Nokia Corporation Q3 2012 Interim Report ? Nokia – Press

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb