Greg Sullivan: Windows phones selling like hotcakes in China and gaining success in USA

Gaichuke

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
2.9M Lumias were sold in Q3, so that's impressive considering that 4.4M were sold in only around 6 weeks rather than 3 months. Nokia Corporation Q3 2012 Interim Report ? Nokia – Press

That is not the 2.9M we were talking about. For some reason, in these forums there is a rumor circulating that from the 4.4M of Lumia's sold during Q4, 2.9M were WP8 devices. But so far no source has been uncovered for that piece of information.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
That is not the 2.9M we were talking about. For some reason, in these forums there is a rumor circulating that from the 4.4M of Lumia's sold during Q4, 2.9M were WP8 devices. But so far no source has been uncovered for that piece of information.

Even the 4.4m you've referenced (2012 Q4) is still only a rumor. The transposing of facts and rumors in threads like this is very confusing.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Even the 4.4m you've referenced (2012 Q4) is still only a rumor. The transposing of facts and rumors in threads like this is very confusing.

After all that it's comments like this that ruins any credibility that you might gain. I don't understand why you are here. What is the porous of this post? Can you tell me that?

You must have a reality bubble around your head nothing gets in.

Last edited:

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
After all that it's comments like this that ruins any credibility that you might gain. I don't understand why you are here. What is the porous of this post? Can you tell me that?

You must have a reality bubble around your head nothing gets in.

The purpose is to clearly define what the "selling like hotcakes" number actually is. Look at the last few posts. Even your own recent post has questioned what is factual and what is a mistake. (post #18)

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
The purpose is to clearly define what the "selling like hotcakes" number actually is. Look at the last few posts. Even your own recent post has questioned what is factual and what is a mistake. (post #18)

Don't try to change facts. I never questions any statistics I asked where the breakdown came from. Where does the miscommunication came from?

My question was answer.

http://press.nokia.com/2012/10/18/nokia-corporation-q3-2012-interim-report/

This is all part if the numbers posted and provided that you continue to discount.

JMBasquiat

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I would also like to know where the break down came from. I don't recall seeing the numbers broken down to that level in any of the articles I have read.

I believe I read over at theverge, but can't seem to find the link right now. Either way, 4.4 million Lumias were sold, and I honestly believe the majority were WP8 devices, especially considering that the 800/900 never sold in those quantities.

JMBasquiat

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
now you've got me figured out... there are reasons i am always looking for the sources.

get fooled once and lose some dime, it sticks with ya.

I don't think anyone really cares you "got fooled" once. You're arguing for the sake of arguing, even in the face of evidence that directly contradict the stuff you spew around here. Or am I not to believe Nokia's official press release about 4.4 million Lumias sold just because an anonymous and argumentative forum member says so?

imem

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Sv: Greg Sullivan: Windows phones selling like hotcakes in China and gaining success in USA

I read some where that the new factory can make 600k phones a month so what can the old one do plus this 600k is about what the can sell a month I see if I can find this numbers some where

Skickat fr?n min HTC Sensation XL with Beats Audio X315e via Tapatalk 2

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
A CEO is not allowed to state false information. There are legal ramifications.

In any event, we'll know when the earnings call is done in a couple weeks.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Re: Sv: Greg Sullivan: Windows phones selling like hotcakes in China and gaining success in USA

I read some where that the new factory can make 600k phones a month so what can the old one do plus this 600k is about what the can sell a month I see if I can find this numbers some where

if that's the case then they need to build some frickin more factories or take old ones out of mothballs. Didn't they close some in Finland? Put some Finns to work!

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site

You also have to realize that the numbers may not be immediately available and are still being tabulated.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site

Sometimes sales can also be inferred from the size of the orders. If they are making bigger orders or more orders now than they had been at this time last year. One can get a sense of how the sales are. It's also noted that the sales of the 8X helped HTCs profits as well.

JMBasquiat

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Re: Sv: Greg Sullivan: Windows phones selling like hotcakes in China and gaining success in USA

That doesn't sound very accurate, I'm afraid. If the factory can only make 600,000 phones a month, and they sold 4.4 Lumias in Q4 2012 (and assuming that, for the sake of the argument, 3 million of those were Lumia WP8s), that would mean that it would take Nokia 5 months to simply produce that many Lumias, let alone package, ship, distribute, deliver to customers.

600,000k may have been the early Nokia-induced target, but I believe they quickly ramped up production based on "better than expected" (Nokia official press release) demand from the market.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Yea. I agree with you man. Have you seen the official HTC facebook page. It's filled with 8X ads. they confirmed that the 8X is their best selling HTC product right now and want to make it sell more

imem

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Sv: Greg Sullivan: Windows phones selling like hotcakes in China and gaining success in USA

Can't find that article
It was about a factory in China.
The only thing I find is some thing about a factory in Vietnam.

Gaichuke

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
Just to cut this rumor before it spreads, the article imem speaks of comes from sohu.com.

In that article, it is mentioned that the capacity of their largest factory, the Nokia Beijing factory is about 2M Lumias per month. They also mention that at some point, the devices made there were manufactured in the following ratio:

Lumia 920: 20k / day or 600k / month
Lumia 820: 25k / day
Lumia 620: 20k / day

This ratio has most likely long since been adjusted to suit the market demand more accurately, but at some point it was roughly this.

I would like to point out that it's useless to try to use these numbers in any sort of estimations or calculations because they are not official, up to date nor even complete. We have no idea when the device production began and these numbers only speak of the Beijing factory when Nokia manufactures smartphones also in other locations such as Mexico and South Korea.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss