HUGE! Facebook Chat API Problem affecting Windows Phone and Skype

Diptesh Sachania

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
It was working all fine till today. I suddenly noticed a message on FB and didn't get it on my phone. So went to the messaging app and app says "can't connect to chat."

Seweryn Zalewski

Apr 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi,
I have a problem with my LUMIA 820 (WP8). On Saturday (maybe on Friday) incoming Facebook messages have stopped to come. I can see online contacts on "Online" tab, I can even send them a outgoing message (it really sent like a charm), but no incoming messages:/ I spend a few hours with testing (wifi vs. 3g vs 2g), I did factory reset of my phone, I also remove/add facebook connection in my hotmail account. My phone was fully charged without energy saver. On the internet there are no similar topics from the last few days:/ I'm really desperate:/

Can you please help me? What I'm doing bad? Or it is a problem of Microsoft/Facebook?

Many thanks in advance

Same here, after the fix that markfive user provided on the 1 page I can see online people, my messages are being sent instatnly but I recieve only first couple of lines of incoming messages, then the chat stops to recieve any further updates.

yunkikan

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm keep getting the first messages from the chat, but afterwards it stops. For example my wife wrote me 3 lines, the first two appeared on the phone, but the last one did not arrived at all. Fb chat on WP8 keeps doing that, I can't have a conversation on the phone cause at some point the chat stops working, I don't receive nothing and I can't send nothing even though the phone shows that my message is delivered. On the status.live.com it shows that the service is ok (connected services) but it isn't. The damn thing is broken, is not working as it should.
Regarding fb, I can get notifications pushed on my phone from the fb app, like comments or so..but the chat from the inbuilt WP8 does not work properly.

this is totally what i am experiencing too.

Sahil Oberoi

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
Hey Guys..

I am also not able to recieve messages through the inbuilt fb chat service using Hotmail account..

Just got my phn updated..Still no incoming msgs..What to do??
Ane solutions???

Florin Anghel

Banned
Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
They are having problems with connected services, so please go to http://status.live.com and report a problem for connected services->connecting to a new service. Or Messenger->trying to send an IM to another user on another service. More reports they'll receive the more attention they will pay to this problem.

Last edited:

Rajan Dahiya

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Facebook chat worked properly here (India) for exactly 4 days after I bought the Nokia Lumia 820 last week. Since yesterday evening, I have the dreadful "can't connect to chat" error shown in the messaging app. However, I can chat using outlook.com...which means the settings and service connection is fine. Its a shame nothing seems to work on the phone! I am hoping something is wrong on the server side and things will be back to normal soon...otherwise I am returning the phone. What's the point...FB chat doesn't work, whatsapp doesn't work, Skype is so unstable...might as well buy a Galaxy in which atleast all the services work properly! Waiting eagerly for a solution!!

tsume

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
This is pretty dumb. I tried all the steps earlier in the thread but no luck. Even hard reset the phone.

If I go to my contacts and find someone who I know is online from logging into facebook.com, I can send them a message. It will say they are offline. Then when they reply magically the phone updates that specific person's status online on the messenger list and says they are available. This is a big problem that MS should be taking some flak for.

Thigis

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Did notice one thing which may cause some confusion regardings the contacts shown. Facebook using a desktop shows all the users as online who are actually online and those who have their phones set to being available. WP only shows the former group, frequently resulting in a subset of people who are online on the desktop but not online on your phone...

HaibaneReki

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Did notice one thing which may cause some confusion regardings the contacts shown. Facebook using a desktop shows all the users as online who are actually online and those who have their phones set to being available. WP only shows the former group, frequently resulting in a subset of people who are online on the desktop but not online on your phone...

well that's not completely true as often I see "on mobile" in stead of "online", but as everyone else, it's dropping all the time + missing messages

Dino Okanovic

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Mine was working great until recently... I decided to reset my Lumia 920 as the Music app was giving me trouble. I set up the phone how it was Before and now the chat is messed up. It works, I'm able to log in and all, but it only shows me one single contact online?! I'm online, it works cuz ppl can write to me, but I can't see 99% of my Contacts... Anyone having similar issues?

London Jr

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Mine was working great until recently... I decided to reset my Lumia 920 as the Music app was giving me trouble. I set up the phone how it was Before and now the chat is messed up. It works, I'm able to log in and all, but it only shows me one single contact online?! I'm online, it works cuz ppl can write to me, but I can't see 99% of my Contacts... Anyone having similar issues?

the issues seem to be all a little different but luckily it looks like facebook has finally done something about it...

https://developers.facebook.com/bugs/501097533289309

they are supposed to be pushing out a fix to the xmpp server on there end, its a known problem with that one and 3rd party clients that attempt to connect or are connected to that server.

London Jr

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
some people who had the same issues have started noting that they are no longer having these problems... if anyone else notices a fix, can you please let us know in this thread if u do see that your facebook chat is now working properly...

Dino Okanovic

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
the issues seem to be all a little different but luckily it looks like facebook has finally done something about it...

https://developers.facebook.com/bugs/501097533289309

they are supposed to be pushing out a fix to the xmpp server on there end, its a known problem with that one and 3rd party clients that attempt to connect or are connected to that server.

Yepp today it fixed it self magically lol. I dont know what it did... I didnt do a thing. I bet there was a problem at their part. Good thing it's working again finally! A let the chat stay logged in for the whole day when it started working.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99