[Email Issues] Read emails show up unread when moving or deleting

anon(4745364)

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I have my Exchange account and Hotmail setup on my 920 and can't seem to figure out why. An email will come in, I'll check it and either move it to a folder or delete it but when I go to that folder or to my trash the emails are listed as unread.

Any ideas why?

Also, my personal phone is an iPhone 5 (which has the same email accounts as my 920) and when I check my emails on it my 920 beeps every time I go to the next unread email. Example: In the morning when I wake up and check my iPhone and see I have 10 emails I go to the mail app and start reading. As I go through them one by one my 920 beeps like it's receiving an email every time.

Very odd.

ousooner314

May 6, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately, this is "normal" behavior on the Windows Phone. Basically, any changes made on the phone are not immediately sent back to the server. You'd have to use the sync button to save the changes back to the server. What makes it tedious is that this needs to be done after every action performed. For instance, if you read an email and move it to a sub-folder, you'd have to read the email, sync, move it to the sub-folder, and sync again. If you don't do this, you'll see an unread email in the subfolder because it only synced the last action. Even though I switched from an iPhone a long time back, I still cannot get used to it (mainly because it's not user-friendly at all).

To address your second issue (Nokia beeps every time), the iPhone is automatically syncing changes back to the server. This change triggers a push notification to your Nokia. Instead of just marking the emails as unread, it beeps to indicate you still have some unread emails left. I can deal with this, but I find the lack of phone-to-server syncing frustrating.

I started a feature suggestion on the User Voice website that requests Microsoft fix this. Anyone interested in this can vote for it at - Two-way full email sync.

anon(4745364)

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Wow. That was an extremely thorough answer lol, I completely understand how it works now. I appreciate it.

Also, your completely right in how ridiculous this is. I hate having to say "they should do it like iOS or donut like Android" but it just seems to be true. I don't understand the decisions they made when they created this OS. Like did some team in charge if this feature go "hmm let's not auto sync and make it so people have to manually sync after EVERY action, yea, that's what the people want!". SMH.

I said it before and I'll say it again. When making a product/service it should at minimum do what the competitors are doing. MS/Nokia to me made so many errors that I just look at this phone in disgust. It just bugs me that they actually thought things like this and many others were good ideas.

xpxp2002

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
It just bugs me that they actually thought things like this and many others were good ideas.
Well, the rationale behind this one is to save battery power by caching activity before syncing with the server. Sadly, it doesn't seem to cache read/unread changes when you move or delete a message before sync. I don't know why more people haven't complained about this. Who doesn't use email in 2013? Please consider voicing this here: Fix unread state for moved/deleted emails.-. Similar to ousooner314's explanation, I also discussed my efforts to get this fixed with Microsoft several years ago. But with no one vocally complaining about this poor design, they seem to have no intention to fix it.

marcomura

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I also noticed this annoying bug (unread deleted email), but I have so many other things to complain about that I never complained about this XD

xpxp2002

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
I also noticed this annoying bug (unread deleted email), but I have so many other things to complain about that I never complained about this XD
I know. What surprised me even more is that the Windows 8 Mail app behaved this way during the Windows 8 Preview, but they fixed it before RTM. Is literally no one at Microsoft using Windows Phone? I'd have to think enough executives with the authority to make it get fixed have had to notice this behavior.

TripsG

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
This is my single biggest complaint about MS and my phone. I have syncing issues all over the place (I have multiple threads about it, one inquiring like you did and one asking for help, to no avail on the latter).

I love everything about my ecosystem (Surface Pro, Lumia 920 and an old HP Laptop running Win8) but email syncing drives me batsh** crazy.

If I ever met someone at MS who was directly responsible for how things sync on MS products, I'd thank them profusely for bringing me such fantastic products and software, then smack them about the face and neck until they went and fixed this one thing! Serious SMH...

xpxp2002

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
It would be great if Daniel picked this up and gave it some attention on wpcentral.com. I really feel like every option has been exhausted to get Microsoft's attention with this matter. Have to say I'm also a bit curious how many others (like us) are aware and annoyed by it, but haven't spoken up.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OFFSET