Do Not Disturb feature

Peter Szajda

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
Do Not Disturb feature

It would be wonderful with a function similar to Do Not Disturb feature found in iOS 6 for iPhone for Windows Phone 8 feature.
Does anyone know if funtionen already exists or whether it will come to WP8?

Peter Szajda

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
?Do Not Disturb? is a feature that allows the users to switch on to silence the in-coming calls, alerts and notifications or pre-determine a certain period of time during which their iOS device will remain silent. It's turning on and off by the time you set it too work.

Attachments

• ios6_dnd.jpg
    ios6_dnd.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 221

Bilal_Fakih

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
“Do Not Disturb” is a feature that allows the users to switch on to silence the in-coming calls, alerts and notifications or pre-determine a certain period of time during which their iOS device will remain silent. It's turning on and off by the time you set it too work.

Yeah its useful but wp doesnt support it and not sure if they will do in the future!

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I'd like this feature too.

Without it, I just set Flight Mode manually every night over a shortcut, even though I'd prefer an easier way to turn vibrations off.

philpeeps

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
I'd like this feature too.

Without it, I just set Flight Mode manually every night over a shortcut, even though I'd prefer an easier way to turn vibrations off.
The iOS features allows a whitelist to allow a subset of contacts to still ring the phone.

TheZuneLune

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
You can use similar apps on Android. Microsoft locks down the device to such a degree that developers canot create an app for this on WP. I understand Microsoft's security is significantly better, but this is another area they need to add native functionality for call control if they are going to lock it down.

TonePhone

Banned
Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
i dont understand when people say security is significantly better

I banked on my android device and never had an issue with "security" and haven't heard any real stories or read any news articles pointing to phones being compromised from market apps

Smit N Shah

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
I have been a windows smart phone user before the term smart phone became common
My first windows phone was Pocket PC 4.2 and I have been with MSFT for the last 10 years
However, my job now requires that I be accessible to a select few 24/7
Previously I just didnt take my phone with me to bed.
Now, I may have to, but I need a way to separate signal from noise and there is no way with my current NOKIA LUMIA 920

What a disappointment

Ray Adams

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm betting 50 bucks that it's a battery drainer lol. Anything other then calls and sms is a potential 50% drain overnight..

Battery drainer??? Why do you think so? :)
This app is only waits for the time and turn on silent mode, where is a battery drain? :cool: Of course SMS and Phones are not blocked, but silenced. While MS release their promising Windows Phone 8.1, we can at least use this one

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I meant cause it's gonna sit in the background tasks, and every app that gets in the background tasks is a potential drainer in this system :D

This is of course a true.

No, it's not true. The so-called "background tasks" on Windows Phone can only run for 25 seconds every 30 minutes. That's not enough time to drain the battery. (Background tasks on Android don't have such limits, so one of those could, if they tried or had bugs, drain a battery.)

There certainly does appear to be a battery drain bug in Windows Phone 8 -- I've had it myself on multiple occasions. But blaming the condition it background tasks doesn't make it so. I have done numerous tests to try to pinpoint the error, as have others. Our conclusions are always contradicted by someone else's tests. This means that the problem is complex and that we haven't yet found the real cause or causes. Microsoft needs to address this one, because they have access to far more low-level testing tools than any of us.

Ray Adams

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
You are not totally right. Of course background task took so little from battery that it could not be a drain cause, but if you have 10 tasks, where each one takes GPU coordinates, use network. In total they will eat battery, but again not drastically :)
I personally always keep only needed apps and disabling anything else and never had any issues with battery.

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
if you have 10 tasks, where each one takes GPU coordinates, use network. In total they will eat battery
True, but the GPS thing probably isn't much of a problem because periodic tasks aren't given the "current" GPS location, but rather a system cached one, that's no more than 15 minutes (or is it 30?) out of date. Also, the task not only needs to be fast, to needs to be small. If the app goes over its time or memory limits twice in a row, Windows Phone automatically unschedules it so that it is no longer run every half hour. If the user runs the foreground app again, that app can check the status of the background task to see if it's still working. I don't think that doing so it common. (I am just now adding such a check to our app.)

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm betting 50 bucks that it's a battery drainer lol. Anything other then calls and sms is a potential 50% drain overnight..

Who really cares ? As I just don't want to be bothered when I am in bed sleeping...and my phone is on my Wireless charger at that time...

I guess others might have a different time frame or use for it but, If I am at work BUSY, and my wife is really bothering me with texts (aka, cant get work done), I put my phone in flight mode and that works just as well...and it's free :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium