SMS back up can be viewed online

dznk

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
I bought it under EE/Orange but have always used my T-Mob SIM from the off. It shows my T-Mob number in windowsphone.com also.

Thanks for that. That rules out my theory then. I haven't had to do a Hard Reset or buy a new WP8 phone yet, so I'm just hoping that when either of these happen, the SMS messages have actually been backing up all this time, even though they don't appear on Outlook.com.

Dewald Theron

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Can you imagine that, it worked for me too! I can see all SMS's sent and received.

I tried everything and still get nothing. Tried with 3 different browsers too. Strange.

EDIT:
This is what worked for me:

Click Messaging History.
Press F6 (or click in the address bar)
Press END
Press BACKSPACE one time
Press ENTER

I can see my sms in the mix of all my messages.

jupep

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
There's a simpler method:-

Log into outlook.com and then right-click on one of the categories under "Quick views" on the left hand side bar.

When the pop-up menu appears, select "Manage Categories"

On the screen that comes up, tick "Quick View" and "Filter" for the Contacts category.

You'll see "Contacts" appear as a new Quick View.

Hit it, and you should see your SMS messages pop up in there.

Needless to say, you need to have text message backup enabled on your phone for this to work.

Note: This method doesn't seem to work for everyone.

Thanks. Now i see all my text messages, but it is possible export those messages?

trevormaat

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Does anyone have any updates to this method? I'm able to view a limited amount of text messages using the "change url" method and the "create contact folder" method, but i can only see a limited number of texts from random senders, and there's no rhyme or reason to it. What I need is the ability to print out a whole conversation thread between one contact and I--probably 200 text messages. It's frustrating that my phone can scroll back through a year's worth of text messages, but I don't have the ability to print them.

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for that. That rules out my theory then. I haven't had to do a Hard Reset or buy a new WP8 phone yet, so I'm just hoping that when either of these happen, the SMS messages have actually been backing up all this time, even though they don't appear on Outlook.com.

I've never been able to view my SMS messages either but having done three hard resets I can testify that they were backed up and restored properly.

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone have any updates to this method? I'm able to view a limited amount of text messages using the "change url" method and the "create contact folder" method, but i can only see a limited number of texts from random senders, and there's no rhyme or reason to it. What I need is the ability to print out a whole conversation thread between one contact and I--probably 200 text messages. It's frustrating that my phone can scroll back through a year's worth of text messages, but I don't have the ability to print them.

From what I have discovered and what others have discovered it seems nigh on impossible to be able to access your backed up SMS's online with any degree of certainty. It all seems rather hit and miss, therefore I doubt that you are able to print off entire conversations if none of the above methods to display your SMS's currently work.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

greycounciller

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Now this is really weird.
Just tried the "URL" change while viewing Hotmail on my iPad and it worked!
Can see all my backed up messages since I got the phone in Dec 2012.
I've also managed to move some to a separately named folder. Noticed it didn't delete the ones moved.
I'll investigate this more in the morning.

dome94

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Does not work for me either, from Germany.
I can see all my contacts from my Windows Phone 8X at People.live.com but at the sidebar unfortunatly no sms chats.
At Outlook.com, too, no sms. I have sms backup active and tried all ideas and workarounds from above, but nothing works for me.
If I use the Metro apps for Win8, I can't see them, too.
There is no extra folder in Thunderbird, too.
My URL: https://blu179.mail.live.com/#fid=flinbox

Anyway I did confirm, that the backup works, because after a phone reset, all sms are still there.
Please help!

Greets :)

fiores

May 6, 2014
Visit site
Ok, simply put; I have done my research and these aka, 'short cuts' do not work for all and could be based on the such things as the host your account resides.
Additionally, upon doing my research I had found tons of stuff about "Quick View" offering and 'simply' enabling this and BAM you have your messages. No Bueno

In short, It was imperative that I retrieve a few SMS messages (they are ours right?). This is what I was able to get to work.
  1. Enabled back up, via my windows Nokia 928 (I had 1538 messages)
  2. Logged-in to outlook.com with same windows/Hotmail account
I noticed I had some Categories? but nothing with "Quick View,? or anything relative to Messaging.
Note: Here is where I searched to find no such ?Quick View? thing for me (why, I have theories and people appear to have false truths to why)

• Navigate to the 'Gear' aka: Setting button in the upper right
  • After which select "Manage categories?
  • Selected "Contact", subsequently selecting "Show in folder pane" and "Filter"
I navigated back home by clicking on the Outlook.com, which drops you back to your Inbox (notice the availability of the "Contacts" category.
Additional note my host to which this worked was (bay177)

• All my SMS messages appeared (ungrouped sadly) but all 1538 messages.
  • After which I moved to a folder to export.

Hope this helps someone

jeffmparker

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
Hi, this technique also works for me, except that:
* SMSs that I send are not included, i.e. only SMSs I've received are there; and
* There is only 1 years worth of SMSs.
Anyone have anything different?

carlnev2000

May 20, 2014
Visit site
I have got the Lumina 520, I have switched sms backup on, but don't know where to find them.
I have been reading some comments about them being backed up to Outlook, but seem to find anything on there either.

Any help would be appreciated.

dznk

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
I have got the Lumina 520, I have switched sms backup on, but don't know where to find them.
I have been reading some comments about them being backed up to Outlook, but seem to find anything on there either.

Any help would be appreciated.

I've never been able to view my SMS online (I've tried all the suggestions), but I'm not too concerned really, as I have reset my phone a couple of times now and all my messages have been successfully restored automatically to the phone when it completed its reset. So even though I can't view them online, I know they are still getting backed up by Microsoft :smile:

Nava65

Dec 20, 2014
Visit site
Just wanted to say, that after hours of searching, I finally managed to see my messages in Outlook.com . I am in Belgium, had automatic back up for my messages. Screen broken, and I do not want to buy another Windows Phone... Here is what helped me: (copied from other thread)

Hi Guys,

So if your "Message History" folder is gone, you are going to have to use "Categories" on the bottom left (or Quick Views).

Click on the "Settings" gear on the top right (near your name).
Select "Manage Categories" from the drop down menu.
You will have a lot to choose from, but put check boxes in "Contacts" and "Photos".
Now click on the Outlook.com on the top left, this should bring you back to your inbox.
Now you should notice the Categories in the bottom left hand side. Click on either Contacts or Photos
If you dont see anything, in the top right, click on "Arrange By" and make sure it is set to "Conversation".

It is the last part, the setting to "conversation" that made the difference!! All your messages will show up. Mixed with FB messages, but who cares. And now the tedious task of printing page by page of those messages. Bye bye Windows Phone!

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I don't know how many people this will help, but I'm on AT&T in the US. At least it will help those.

If I need to see my messages online whether SMS or MMS, I can visit https://messages.att.net, log in to my account, and I can view entire history of sent/received messages in nice neat threads by contact just like on my phone, except easier to read because of screen size. I can also send/receive SMS/MMS live from the laptop while logged in.

I would imagine most carriers have something similar. This isn't something tied to Windows Phone, just a service offered by my carrier. Comes in handy at times.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss