Save offiline (nokia) map file on sd card?

spacejovi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Hi there. I just switched from my old Nokia E71 to Lumia 820, and wanted to download (nokia) map files for offline use. Well on E71 there was an option for me to choose where to save the map files, namely, on the phone or sd card, while on Lumia 820 I do not see this option. So will the maps be directly saved to the phone memory? It would be quite stupid, not to allow the maps to be saved on external sd karte, cos 820 itself has only around 5G memory left to use...

I've not downloaded any maps yet. I just wanna know it better before doing something stupid.:amaze:

Thank you!

User789

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
If that's true then this is the stupidest thing I've seen for a while and makes me regret buying the Nokia 820. I've just bought an SD card, specifically to save many GBs of maps for many countries I go to often...and now you tell me I can't, while I could on my Nokia X6. That's it, if I verify that this is true, I swear NEVER to buy another Nokia again and I've been a Nokia buyer since my first phone.

wpbilbo

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
Just stumbled over this looking for the same info.
I have a Lumia 620 WP8 phone and it's the same. I guess I'll make do with the 8GB internal for the maps I need, but this is so UTTER stupid I'm wondering how and where to tell Nokia and MS to fix this.

e1ys1um

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Agreed on the sillyness of it, Nokia never had any issue in the past storing maps and indeed other files to the memory cards. Suspect this is more an OS issue though as you cant even save pdf's or office files to the SD and have them accessed by the required apps. Seems the SD is just a no go for anything other than pics/vids or music right now, shame really.

Boris Gong

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
It will only save to internal memory.

On wps you are only able to save movies and music to SD cards.

You can save movies to SD cards? How?
I think only videos recorded by camera can go there. All downloaded videos's bind to the App storage

edit: ack...Didn't notice it's an old thread. But I am still curious

kishorekumar_a

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site
You can save movies to SD cards? How?
I think only videos recorded by camera can go there. All downloaded videos's bind to the App storage

edit: ack...Didn't notice it's an old thread. But I am still curious

I think the problem is with the OS not allowing for storage of app data or cache in SD Card. Microsoft needs to allow this for better memory management. Not Nokia's fault.

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Just stumbled over this looking for the same info.
I have a Lumia 620 WP8 phone and it's the same. I guess I'll make do with the 8GB internal for the maps I need, but this is so UTTER stupid I'm wondering how and where to tell Nokia and MS to fix this.
move all your media to SD card and you will have plenty of space. With 4G or so you can have 1 third of the Europe continent, what else do you need? The whole world?

wpbilbo

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
move all your media to SD card and you will have plenty of space. With 4G or so you can have 1 third of the Europe continent, what else do you need? The whole world?
I don't have any media on the phone! :) And 4G should be about right -- but 1/3 doesn't cut it. I'd like the whole of europe which is 5.5GB (and that's excluding Russia).

I bought this phone to carry the whole world in my pocket! :excited: ... shame, really.

Abdul Rahman Noor

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
If that's true then this is the stupidest thing I've seen for a while and makes me regret buying the Nokia 820. I've just bought an SD card, specifically to save many GBs of maps for many countries I go to often...and now you tell me I can't, while I could on my Nokia X6. That's it, if I verify that this is true, I swear NEVER to buy another Nokia again and I've been a Nokia buyer since my first phone.

This isn't Nokia's fault.
It's a limitation of WP, and last time I checked, the OS was made by Microsoft.

Funky Cricket

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
The OS is following enterprise principals of encrypted OS drives. All of the OS and app critical files have to be stored on the encrypted drive and MS can't encrypt an SD card.
From a security stand point looking at business users, this makes a lot of sense actually.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05