Lumia for Sprint?

Strings78

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
Do you guys think that Sprint has a shot of ever getting a Lumia device, or should I take my contract to AT&T or Verizon once it's up?

AUCLABruin

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
I would expect a possible Nokia 822 type phone due to the technology of Sprint and Verizon being similar. However, this is just speculation my part, and Nokia may decide not to provide them with phones.

Strings78

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
I dont know why they would deny any carrier phones though. With Nokia trying to make a North American comeback I would think the more potential customers the better! And now with the news of a Verizon 920 like device, who knows what other tricks Nokia may have in the pipeline!

mrmdj31675

Banned
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Nokia has been a "problematic" manufacturer for the CDMA carrier community in the US (as Nokia considers them a Niche market), and have made it clear they will only deal with the three major carriers they currently have for the time being. Also, have in mind Nokia had major problems with Qualcomm when they decided to make their own unauthorized CDMA radios, which cause them to drop CDMA manufacturing for about a decade.

Does Nokia need Sprint and the rest of the CDMA carriers in the US in order to keep their momentum? I say absolutely, although some will say it's debatable in some form. Nokia knows they will have to deal with one of their former board of directors named Dan Hesse.

Strings78

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
I had no clue that Nokia caused so many problems with CDMA Carriers or that Dan Hesse was a former board member. Those all sound like reasons for Nokia to avoid Sprint and for me to switch to AT&T

mrmdj31675

Banned
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Actually, the problems between Nokia, CDMA carriers, and especially Qualcomm were caused by Nokia making a "generic" Qualcomm based CDMA chip without the authorization from them. Nokia faced the choice of keeping manufacturing those chips and getting sued all the way into bankruptcy, using Qualcomm made chips for their devices, or stop making CDMA phones. They chose the third option which kept them out of Asia And most US carriers.

Strings78

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
And the lack of phones in those key countries has caused them to lose their #1 spot in total phone sales. It all makes a ton of sense now! Hopefully nw that they've started gaining traction with CDMA carriers (China Mobile, Verizon etc.) it will help them be comfortable branching out to other carriers in India and even Sprint here in the US!

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Can't blame Nokia for Sprint's poor network performance and selling their soul for the iphone. I left in November after over 12 years. Never knew how slow it was until getting off of it. I think even if I had stuck around for a WP8, I wouldn't be having the experience I am now. My wife is still on her Arrive. But as soon as she's up or it dies and we can move with no ETF because they don't support it, I'm bringing her over with me.

But I'm glad for those that did wait it out or can't leave that they are finally getting WP8 there. Hopefully it will be earlier in summer and not later.

mrmdj31675

Banned
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Stmav, Nokia does not like the US based CDMA carriers, and Nokia needs them in order to make themselves a serious OEM (just sticking with Verizon and two GSM carriers does not make them competitive, especially when the sales for the Lumia 822 on Verizon have been atrocious, and had to resort to offer them FREE).

Sprint's network is being seriously improved (if you actually follow the data a site named S4GRU.com provides, which happens to be right on). Still some work to do i. Many markets but it's moving, and just before we go into another Sprint bashing, take a look at AT&T's network which is about 2-3 years of needing a complete overhaul as the one Sprint is doing. Patching as AT&T is doing will only for for so long.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
mrmdj, we've been through this before. I even showed you where root metrics had Sprint 5th in my city. In fact I switched to AT&T in my city where it's rated 1st.

Continue your crusade for cdma or sprint, whoever is behind it. But not all bashing is bashing. I think after 12 years of using Sprint, giving facts and seeing a real different in networks, that there is more behind my opinion that mere bashing. So please don't pretend Sprint is guilt free.

As I said, I am glad those that are still there and staying there are getting a WP8. Good for them and good for WP. The more the merrier. But if asked my opinion, I'm going to give it honestly.

TK2011

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
... especially when the sales for the Lumia 822 on Verizon have been atrocious, and had to resort to offer them FREE).

I've heard plenty people saying 822 sold its fair share despite being not the most desirable model. And how could Verizon not offer them for free when higher spec'ed phones like GS3 and 920 are going for $100 or less? It was always destined to be free with contract after the initial pent up demand is met. A few weeks ago some financial pundit wrote a hit piece saying "oh it's free so it must be failing miserably, they are losing money on every sale, short NOK!!!" and you believed it? Geez.

strikeswp

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
Here we are over a year later with no Lumia devices for Sprint yet. I got stuck with the HTC 8XT. If and when a Lumia drops on Sprint, I will be switching to that, almost immediately. I just don't understand the reasoning for giving all other carriers Lumia devices except Sprint. There must be some kind of bitterness between Sprint and Nokia?

ratsttam

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
If it means anything, there has only been ONE Nokia on Sprint in the past 10 years, and it didn't sell well (was a candybar style dumb phone, and a medocre one at that).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb