Outlook Sync

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than I will come to the rescue, but I think you can use the MS "Desktop Connector" program. I think that's the name. Definitely has 'connector' in there; try searching here or the web for "sync desktop outlook".

I think I transferred my contacts from our exchange server to my personal outlook.com account just using export/import.

I think I've even heard of people syncing first to Gmail, then from Gmail to outlook.com. If I'm not mistaken this was mentioned as a way to utilize some cleanup tools that Gmail offers.

Cubeddd

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
Right. I've been using an old nokia symbian phone and a blackberry 5 or more years prior to now and I always have to sync everything via usb to the computer. Calender, tasks, contacts and notes. Then I moved my calender and contacts to gmail and it synced them wirelessly to my blackberry, and then i'll manually sync notes and task via usb.

Now that I got my 920, I NEVER have to go the the daily stress of syncing with my outlook via usb, EVER. Imported EVERYTHING, calender, contacts and tasks (I use onenote for notes now) to outlook.com using my old microsoft account. Changed my primary alias to a @outlook.com email also. Contacts are on People tab on outlook.com. It syncs with everything, my windows 8 system running on my 5 year old HP laptop, and my microsoft outlook office software. and best of all, no duplicate.

If you need more details on how to set up contacts sync do ask, it was pretty straightforward for me.

pdaneophyte

Aug 2, 2007
Visit site
The quote is part of an answer to why some people do not wish to sync to an online program (gmail, outlook.com etc). People who still wants to sync to their desktop, myself included, is not being catered by native WP functionality which is very disappointing. And no, I can't get away from any of the invasive private data requests that programs on the application stores requires to work. What I can do is not install programs like Sudoku or Calculators that requires owner info or location services to work. For me, I don't want to reward sloppy programmers.

absonj

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Coming from several phones (Imagio running WP6.5, Thunderbolt) that required hardwire connection to local for syncing, I can tell you its so liberating NOT having to connect. I don't worry about some hacker looting my data, because if they wanted to get my data, then they could just hack into my wifi and go that route. I realize that the cloud is where everything will be going, and I have to put some faith in the pros that they will do what they can to preven hacks.
I have a friend who is brilliant with computers and IT stuff. He has helped safeguard what we can, and feels that the cloud really is the only option we all have, and should take full advantage of it. He was even using cloud based servers for his ipooh long before everyone else was, and I couldn't wait to get going with it.

sb_boston

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Thank you. Thank you! THANK YOU! to gapost & ChrisRig for introducing me to Akruto Sync. :love:

Akruto Sync works perfectly! My calendar, tasks (to-do's), contacts and notes are now in sync with my phone again... like before I bought a Windows phone. It's the best $20 you could possibly spend on a WP8.

Setup of Akruto was really easy too. And if I wasn't sure of something, their documentation is great, with lots of screenprints. Compare this to CompanionLink which did not work for me twice in 5 months in 2013 (same problem both times by the way), and their documentation and help is practically nonexistent.

I have been ticked off at MICROSOFT for the last 5 months since I bought this MICROSOFT Windows Phone (HTC 8X) that could not sync with my MICROSOFT Outlook -- something I've been able to do for the last 15 years with PDA's & phones of various brands. This functionality should have been included in the package. They continue to give a big MIDDLE FINGER to small business people and everyone who uses Outlook who doesn't have a whole IT department that runs Exchange Server to depend on to make synchronization work. But now I am happy again!:grin: ... but I am still ticked off at MICROSOFT.

Thank you so much for posting this on this board. I had not heard of Akruto Sync before today!

Last edited:

BizClinic_Sid

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
I specifically got a Windows phone with the expectation of synchronizing it with office outlook calender appointments, tasks etc.
I may have to eat humble pie, spend more money and get a phone that will work for us. (I even installed W8 on a machine, which IMHO is not a business friendly OS, still no joy.)
If there is a way, please let me, and may be others, know how to...

Thank you:

unhappy:

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I specifically got a Windows phone with the expectation of synchronizing it with office outlook calender appointments, tasks etc.
I may have to eat humble pie, spend more money and get a phone that will work for us. (I even installed W8 on a machine, which IMHO is not a business friendly OS, still no joy.)
If there is a way, please let me, and may be others, know how to...

Thank you:

unhappy:
Do you have an Outlook.com or Hotmail account? I would guess you have one or the other or your phones usefulness would be severely impacted.I was able to sync my Desktop Outlook 2010 with two separate accounts, one of which was an Outlook.com account via Microsoft Office Outlook Hotmail Connector without any issues at all. I now use Outlook 2013 and it works just as well. All my mail, contacts and calendar items are kept in sync on three devices (laptop, WP8 and Surface) with zero issues. I researched all this stuff before buying a WP and knew in advance the steps required and had an Outlook account all set up with contacts and calendar prior to buying my phone.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Do you have an Outlook.com or Hotmail account? I would guess you have one or the other or your phones usefulness would be severely impacted.I was able to sync my Desktop Outlook 2010 with two separate accounts, one of which was an Outlook.com account via Microsoft Office Outlook Hotmail Connector without any issues at all. I now use Outlook 2013 and it works just as well. All my mail, contacts and calendar items are kept in sync on three devices (laptop, WP8 and Surface) with zero issues. I researched all this stuff before buying a WP and knew in advance the steps required and had an Outlook account all set up with contacts and calendar prior to buying my phone.

Outlook.com and hotmail are the same thing

Both Outlook.com and a work email such as EAS keep everything synced in the cloud. I hope this helps.

Outlook 2013 has the hotmail connector built in

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I know they are the same thing. I was asking BizClinic_Sid about his account which could be either an Outlook or a Hotmail account. I also know that Outlook 2013 has the connector built in, I never stated it didn't. I'm not sure why you replied to me as I know all this stuff already and my setup is working as expected.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I know they are the same thing. I was asking BizClinic_Sid about his account which could be either an Outlook or a Hotmail account. I also know that Outlook 2013 has the connector built in, I never stated it didn't. I'm not sure why you replied to me as I know all this stuff already and my setup is working as expected.

I was also trying to help the OP

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

BBMINI

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Do you have to copy over calendar appointments one at a time including recurring appts?
If I'm understanding your question correctly, (do you have to double enter calendar appointments into Outlook 2013 desktop and into Outlook.com, then, no, you don't double enter anything. Enter an appointment into 2013 and it shows up on your Outlook.com calendar and vice versa. The desktop/2013 version is more robust, though, in terms of what you can do/note/set for calendar appts.

Janda45

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
Badcat, I've almost got it working as you describe. If I put a calendar appointment in Outlook 2010 on my PC it will sync automatically to my Outlook.com calendar but it won't come to my WP8 until I manually sync. Is there something I need to click on/off somewhere to get this to work? Thanks!

astro46

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
I know that this thread is 6 months old, but for the benefit of people finding it through web search, I'd like to add some info about using outlook.com for syncing.

I tried it, but at the moment only use it for syncing calendar between Outlook 2013 and my Windows phone 8.1 Lumia 925. Contacts syncing was a disaster. Outlook.com doesn't recognize Outlook categories or distribution lists. I had to make a .csv file of contacts, import into Outlook.com (not hard to do). Then I would have had to go through all contacts and reassign them to Outlook.com "groups". Looking at a contact would not show what groups it is in. And the distribution lists that had a couple of hundred email addresses of people that weren't official "contacts"? I didn't see any way to handle those. I would have had to clutter up my contact list with hundreds of additional names, entering them all anew.

I tried Companionlink but didn't find it reliable. Detail changes to contacts didn't seem to sync all the time.
I am still looking for a good way to handle the contact syncing issue.

WilliamOB

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
Out from the stone ages!
So I finally have a windows 8 phone and have been using Outlook for ages. I now want to sync everything. I have stayed away for Outlook.com for no reason, but now I obviously have to jump on board.

So can you assist me in my procession of stupid questions?
Thanks

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Not a stupid question at all. MS assumes that everyone will happily jump to using the cloud for their synching needs; NOT.

I solved my problem by buying a program called Akruto. It will synch contact, calendar and tasks via WiFi or USB cable. It also works for iphone and android devices so you can use it to keep all your info up to date.

Bing it and give the trial a try. I think you will like it. I've used it since WP 7 and love it.

astro46

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
I am currently using Outlook.com/Onedrive to sync calendar with my wp8.1 phone. Works ok, though it will only show up to the last 2 weeks of appointments on phone. If you want to check when something happened further back than 2 weeks, it won't appear on the phone.

I tried Outlook.com/Onedrive for contacts but gave up on it. the fields used in Outlook are different than those used at Onedrive which is different than wp8.1 people hub. Typical Microsoft design by multiple committees that don't communicate. So, some phone numbers in Outlook don't make it wp8.1 because the fields don't match. eg: if I have two mobile phone numbers for a contact and I show one as "other" in Outlook (which doesn't have a "mobile2" field) I can't text to that number because people hub on phone doesn't recognize "other" as a mobile number. In fact, the People hub doesn't have an "other" field. Also, Onedrive contacts won't recognize Outlook categories or contact email lists (a "contact" with a group of email addresses). you will have to establish groups at Onedrive and put each contact into the appropriate group. Also each contact won't show what groups it is assigned to. And, assigning a contact to a group in Outlook won't stick at Outlook.com. It has to be done online. Its a mess.

I am told that with Windows 10 and the transition from Outlook.com to Exchange system, which is currently happening, many of these issues will be fixed. I haven't tried it so can't comment.

I am currently using Companionlink for contacts, which I do manually. And have it set to only go one direction, from desktop or laptop (Outlook) to phone . letting it sync changes from phone to computers created problems. It couldn't keep things straight. Occasionally, it misses changes to contacts and doesn't sync them. But Companionlink does duplicate everything that is in Outlook, notes, categories, etc.

I looked at Akruto. it uses the calendar and people hubs on phone, so is limited to the fields available at people hub, which is not the same as Outlook. and, as I remember, didn't sync notes for contacts. Also, based on what their tech told me, if I tried to use it to sync both desktop and laptop with phone I would need 2 licenses, and it would set up 2 different databases on the phone. Not a good system.

Again, with Windows 10, the people hub in wp8.1 is going away. I don't what will be in its place or how it will affect syncing.

WilliamOB

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
Thanks so much for your reply. I will look into your recommenadtions more. I am due for a new phone next May so maybe by then the Win10 will be out and running on the phone.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs