3 months later - WHERE ARE THE BIG APPS??

VoodooKing#WP

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I emailed Stephen Elop regarding Instagram on Saturday. Below is his reply. Which really isn't much but I hope they're working on it.

Sent: Saturday, February 02, 2013 11:23
To: Elop Stephen (Nokia/Espoo)

[Removed the first part of the message, basically I was telling him how great the Lumia series are.]

there are a few concerns regarding popular applications such as Instagram. There was some word that Nokia's working with them to get an app done for Windows Phone but so far there are no updates.

Would you be able to provide a little update if you have any? If not, Just to keep WP community hopes up.

Regards
[me]

Sorry, I can’t provide an update on any future plans, but we definitely understand the demand for instagram on the WP platform.

Regards,

Stephen

slashd0t

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I emailed Stephen Elop regarding Instagram on Saturday. Below is his reply. Which really isn't much but I hope they're working on it.

Sent: Saturday, February 02, 2013 11:23
To: Elop Stephen (Nokia/Espoo)

[Removed the first part of the message, basically I was telling him how great the Lumia series are.]

there are a few concerns regarding popular applications such as Instagram. There was some word that Nokia's working with them to get an app done for Windows Phone but so far there are no updates.

Would you be able to provide a little update if you have any? If not, Just to keep WP community hopes up.

Regards
[me]

Sorry, I can?t provide an update on any future plans, but we definitely understand the demand for instagram on the WP platform.

Regards,

Stephen

Basically saying "we would love to have Instagram, but, Facebook refuses to allow us to build it"

dainla

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Not trolling, I really wanted to like and support WP, especially since they were teaming with Nokia. However, it seems that every thing that they could do wrong they did wrong, the two should share the blame equally. I just don't see how you can make mistake after mistake and be able to survive when you're starting with almost no market share.

I'm sorry, coming onto a WP forum and saying you can't wait until WP is dead is the ultimate example of a troll

chetan_merchant

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
All haters here on these forum are not trolls but there are many who spk out of frustration...

Windows phone platform is going nowhere 3 months after the launch...

I have been a hardcore supporter of the platform...owned Lumia 800 initially and now 920...was even successful in converting few of my friends to the platform...
But after 1 yr when WP has got no real impetus and momentum my friends switched over to iOS or Android...because in todays time 1 yr is a pretty long time and if a platform goes without any serious growth for this period it has failed miserably...

I will wait till this fall if WP fails to move then even I would like to switch...

Being optimistic is one thing but to continue support when MS is doing nothing is being foolish...

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Being optimistic is one thing but to continue support when MS is doing nothing is being foolish...

MS is doing nothing? That's not exactly true. There is NO other phone that completely matches my needs. I am heavily invested in the MS ecosystem (SkyDrive, Outlook, Xbox Music Pass, Xbox 360, Office, heck I even use Bing), and as such the only phone that truly matches my needs is WP. iPhone I find stale, and Android, I don't feel it right on a phone. I don't know why, just something about it rubs me the wrong way. Feels great on a tablet though, loving my HTC Flyer. Indeed, the only other phones I would be looking at would be the BlackBerry Z10/M10(?), and even then, that would be as a secondary "Professional" phone to go alongside the what would then become the "Personal" Nokia Lumia 920.

jgraves4480

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Starting to feel like wp8 was a waist of time.

Every time I turn around I'm having to get on a PC or pull out my iPad! There are no apps across the board that people use that function like they should. Or we just don't have an app for that yet. Fb, Skype, any kind of app for tracking each other, just not viable. I feel like Microsoft just need a little chump change and that was it. Don't get me wrong, I love my HTC 8x, just not the lack of certain things that should have been here. I shouldn't have to rely on my iPad or a PC to get certain things done that android and IOS have been doing for over 2yrs now.

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Every time I turn around I'm having to get on a PC or pull out my iPad! There are no apps across the board that people use that function like they should. Or we just don't have an app for that yet. Fb, Skype, any kind of app for tracking each other, just not viable. I feel like Microsoft just need a little chump change and that was it. Don't get me wrong, I love my HTC 8x, just not the lack of certain things that should have been here. I shouldn't have to rely on my iPad or a PC to get certain things done that android and IOS have been doing for over 2yrs now.

App count is nothing new. You should have known. A waste of a post.

rkgriffin

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Did you not know the app scenario before purchase? Just curious.

I did. And then they pulled the USAA app and USAA says they have no plans to release a fix version because adoption rate is so low. That is a real killer for me. I love the way I have my multiple email accounts setup on my 920. Love Xbox Music Pass even though the Windows 8 interface blows. Love the Rooms feature. I was really hoping within the first year we would see other apps I use a lot like TiVo, Watch ESPN, etc would start to show up. Not only that but some of the apps WP8 does have would get upgraded to be as good as the iOS versions.

I still have hope and like other giving them until fall. If things are the same then I will be looking to the Galaxy S4 or a new Blackberry if they get it right. Especially if things like Office start showing up on other platforms.

joeynox

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
App count isn't the problem as the as the main and most popular.apps.are available. There's no.cap 1,citibank, instagram, vine, Facebook ,(official,)

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Funny ha ha. A lot though really. You get my point though.

Yes I do. Despite my rant on page 1 of the thread i know what you mean. Im under no illusions that WP8 isnt as good as it could be - If Ive got the option will always use my Surface to check twitter and facebook to get the full experience and I agree its not the way it should be but right now its the way it is. Its just a case of using the tools that you've been given to get the job done.

chetan_merchant

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
The problem is the pace at which things evolve at Redmond..
Even I have been using hotmail since years...how badly you needed something like outlook to happen and it happened only after years of waiting..
Even xbox took years to get where it is now...
These were lessons for MS but seems MS never learnt..
With the amount of money and support staff...MS can and should pull off a better show

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
^^^That is really what is most concerning. The snail's pace they seem to be going at to get s@it done is ridiculous. And for me its not even the procurement of these apps. Its just in addressing the issues in general still plaguing WP. Say something, even if a solution is months down the road or nor in the works at all.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster