Wife's new iPhone 5...Now 8X

Edward_g

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
My wife has a new iPhone as of yesterday. I bought it for her. She has never had a smartphone before and all her friends have iPhones. I tried to get her interested in my Windows Phone (Nokia 822) but she really wanted what her friends had. I went by myself to Verizon and it was really hard for me to ignore the Windows display and go to the Apple display. But I did and she is very happy and I'm her hero for getting it and everything is good.
The good thing for me though is now I appreciate my Lumia even more!
I was a little worried that maybe she would prove to me that she and her iPhone crowd were right and I was just wrong about phones. It's not that way though. We're both happy with our choice and that's all that really matters. I'm wondering over time if she will see what I like about Windows Phone.
She has only had a flip feature phone up to now. I've had several Android phones and now this WP8. I even upgraded my PC to Windows 8 and converted to Outlook/Live mail.
So I'm really into it hook, line and sinker.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
My gf got a 4S a while back - her first smartphone. She needed certain apps that she couldn't get anywhere else, so I didn't even try to dissuade her. She's happy with her choice, and nothing else would have suited her needs.

scubus

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
Funny... I purchased a Nokia 920 for myself and an HTC 8x for my wife.

After a week of not being able to transfer pictures and music from my Mac I traded them both in for iPhones. A week after that I really didn't like the iPhone 5 (and I have had every iPhone since day 1) so a returned it for another 920.

My wife hates the iPhone and every day I have to hear about how I took her Windows phone back and she really liked how it worked. SHe never had a smart phone before so she has no brand bias, ankd she doesn't give a rip about what her friends have (they all have iPhones BTW) she just liked everything about the Windows phone.

downshire

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I have had all the other main operating systems including the top android devices and all the iPhones since day one. This windows phone is new to me and i am totally stoked with it, i was concerned about making the move as i still had memories of windows phone 2003 the nightmare that was. But wp8 is superb, i love the design, the speed and the keyboard is excellent. Well done m$ you have won back another apple defector.
Sent from my Windows Phone 8S by HTC using Board Express

Vasiliy Kozlov

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Fellows, can I tell you about my story? I dreamed and wanted wp8 from the start. Dreamed day and night. Subscribe to all of Twitter and blogs. I prove to everyone around them that is the best that can be. I myself thought so. I thought that now a days the other systems get the sunset. Something unknown stop me from buying. But recently, I saw the light though. All turned around. I saw everything in a different light. Almost all the windows phone device faulty or critical flaws (I will not list, you already know, just interested). Problems of the OS, the failed update, I do not see any increase in the store, the application does not appear. And then I realized, windows phone would be a great system if ms rapidly develop it, but it does not. MS does not want to compete with others, all slowly and dishonest. So I want to say the same as I who doubt. You have to wait, perhaps a year. And now it is better to take i5 or android. Sorry.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Funny... I purchased a Nokia 920 for myself and an HTC 8x for my wife.

After a week of not being able to transfer pictures and music from my Mac I traded them both in for iPhones. A week after that I really didn't like the iPhone 5 (and I have had every iPhone since day 1) so a returned it for another 920.

My wife hates the iPhone and every day I have to hear about how I took her Windows phone back and she really liked how it worked. SHe never had a smart phone before so she has no brand bias, ankd she doesn't give a rip about what her friends have (they all have iPhones BTW) she just liked everything about the Windows phone.

I thought the phones just show as a flash drive and you copy things into folders?

Edward_g

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
My wife may be returning the i5.
I'm still not pushing her. She's had the phone for maybe five days.
She is liking my Nokia 822 more all the time. She is aware of the return policy so we'll see what she decides here in a few days.

justcurious#WN

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
I let my wife try my old Focus during the 7.5 days, but she couldn't get past not having certain iOS features (iMessage and notification center being the main ones), as well as the quality of the apps for windows phone. Unfortunately, that situation remains that same today, but I'm hopeful the app quality improves as WP8 matures.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
My wife convinced me to switch to a 4s last year. She then discovered for herself that all the apps on iOS were not enough to make her happy with an iPhone... Needless to say, she is now happy with her Lumia!

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
It's sad how the fact that the iPhone is popular makes it sell even more phones because people want what everyone else has. 'Tis a shame.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
It's sad how the fact that the iPhone is popular makes it sell even more phones because people want what everyone else has. 'Tis a shame.

Just wait a while longer, what the iPhone now makes successful will soon make it boring and dull. It's already not 'cool' anymore, and this will be the more the case, the more grandparents buy an iPhone.

jdhooghe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm glad that people are accepting another person's choice. My fiance really likes my 920(to the point where the i5 is losing in her eyes) BUT I had to tell her that there is no instagram and the pinspiration apps sucks :( Oh well, as long as they are happy...right, OP? ;)

Edward_g

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Well it's over. My wife told me to return the iPhone 5 and exchange it for a Windows Phone. The decision was completely hers after using her phone and my Nokia for about a week. I got her the HTC 8X in blue. I just now dropped it off to her at work. She's not hard to please and we're not chronic returners but I believe this will prove to be the right decision.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Well it's over. My wife told me to return the iPhone 5 and exchange it for a Windows Phone. The decision was completely hers after using her phone and my Nokia for about a week. I got her the HTC 8X in blue. I just now dropped it off to her at work. She's not hard to please and we're not chronic returners but I believe this will prove to be the right decision.
That's cool the two of you had different devices. She had a better chance of trying both devices to see which was better for her needs that way. It's a lot better than just trying out a device in the store, since she had more time to compare/contrast both of the devices.

BeaverJuicer

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
... and not a single person recommending a good divorce lawyer... What have these forums come to? Civilized discussion and understanding that different phones are better fits for different people? Sheesh!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99