Your turn - 8 things that Microsoft needs to fix in Windows Phone 8 right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delin95

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
2. App close button...
There is no app close button, which is very painful. In browser, if I want to close it, I have to go all through backwards to close it, until I go to the first page.

I'm still surprised at how people still don't know how to close the tabs in IE.

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I dont know if I'm expecting much from WP. We can't even get a decent PDF reader. Other OS's have many to choose from and most work great. We have two or three and they all are terrible. Why should I keep faith or hope when I can't even have a good, reliable PDF reader?

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
like the classic windows task bar, let us have the choice to choose between auto hide and show all indicators. Also includes the option to pin a reasonable number of status indicator. On top of that a third option to custom pick constant showed indicators even with auto hide on. One more thing, please add a % beside the battery indicator. Sorry for battery app dev tho. XD

Nelson Campos

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I've seen it all except for this one thing;

The audio equalizer doesn't suport any treble frequencies, it covers the range from 50Hz to 8000HZ. What about the all important crisp and sharp 12000 and 15000Hz?

wp201302285.png

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Gapless playback, hi-speed media scrubbing in both directions, VPN, NC, X to close apps from the cards view, separate volume controls, alert tones for different events, universal search, Local Scout that actually provides useful data.

childoftheworld

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
1) Bluetooth Issues
2) File Manager
3) Sharing via File Manager, can't even do that now without going to PDF Reader or Office Mobile
4) Profiles & Profile Scheduler
5) Ability to use custom tones for Messaging, Email, Calendar....etc; not just the main single ringtone of the phone...
6) VPN (SSTP Microsoft Flavour)
7) Remote Drives, ability to connect to Windows Servers via VPN
8) Better Bing Maps Search

Nelson Campos

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
****, why doesn't my phone have an equalizer set up like my $2000 stereo set up at home! I demand these basic features!!!

You made me look petty , but it's a very small thing that makes all the diference. This is a multimedia phone, made to play music among other things. That said it's as important as any other thing. If the sound isn't sharp and vibrant you don't want to use it. Specially when you plug it to the same speakers/headphones to an iPhone/android budget phone and see it sounds really dull

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
My L920 sounds great hooked up to my Bose head speakers. Especially with the equalizer and the Dolby sound on. Sounds pretty damn good even through the audio cable on my home stereo with Bose 901s. My iPhone 4? Not so much.

Nelson Campos

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
My L920 sounds great hooked up to my Bose head speakers. Especially with the equalizer and the Dolby sound on. Sounds pretty damn good even through the audio cable on my home stereo with Bose 901s. My iPhone 4? Not so much.

I should test the audio on the 920 then. If it's any better i'll have to watch that in the future and go for a diferent phone. Sound/music capabilities are very important to me. If they would fix the equalizer it would be a great jump forward though.

Kavu2

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
In order of annoyance for not having/or having and just not working or being useful enough...

- App Update Notification (working Store tile or at least a dedicated website update button)

- Direct Settings access (abiltiy to one touch enable/disable settings like WiFi/BT/Cell data etc

- Volume Control profiles( for Media/Ringer etc)

- Remove Carrier Control over tethering, updating (looking at you Verizon). Remove OTA updates and replace with updates over web if necessary. Why repeat Android's mistakes. Who's wagging the dog anyway?

- Video out (streaming video capability)

- Music enhancements (equalizer, music stop, playlist overhaul, Smart DJ fix)

- Screen Rotation lock (if Weave can do a 'soft' one why can't MS?)

- Print from Phone (wireless/web)

- Notification center (would remove half a dozen live tiles from my start screen alone) KISS

- 'Other' cache clean (seems to be a problem eh?)

- Skype integration into People's Hub right hand, meet left...left hand, meet right

And if MS has time to kill between making Surface commercials...

- Group/title/Hub organization of Apps if they absolutely can't stomach Folders. How about making use of the 'right swipe' screen area?

- Live Tile animation options expanded (morph, blend, dissolve etc)

- Keyboard system wide screen rotation

Ok enough... a start for a meaningful update doncha think?

Wuhte

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Folks,

some good points, so far. I just switched from a Blackberry to Lumia 920. Some things are great, wow, this is a SmartPhone!
But some things are... really missing from my BB. Some of them I could get over, but some are crucial:

1. E-Mail folders: this is stupid. I get about 50 to 100 business e-mails a day and I am mostly working on my PC and with Outlook in our corp Exchange domain. When I receive a new e-mail, it is in my Inbox on my Desktop and on my phone. Good. I need it on the phone because when I am away, I need my data there too. I work with a dozen of account managers, 150 customers on around 300 projects and I need to organize my E-Mails in a lot of folders. Otherwise I get lost totally. So I have around 400 Folders in my Outlook, well structured.
Now, when I move a mail in Outlook in a folder, it disappears from my phone when I do not have the folder synched! Ui, bad! Sure, I could click through all my folders on the phone (~400!) and sync them all. And I could do this for every folder I create. But this is... bad!
Secondly, when I want to move an e-mail from my Inbox to a folder on the phone, imagine how long it takes to scroll through 400 folders to find the right one? No search there. Bad!
Who has ever owned a BB knows how comfortable this is what the BB does!

2. Ringtone Profiles: WP8 has only a quick switch between "Ring+Vibrate" or "Vibrate". WTH... No "Mute". No "Loud". Say: No customizable profiles? Gosh, I could do that with my devices 10yrs ago.

3. My Lumia freezes one or two times a day. But, ok, this is no feature-request it's a: GO AND FIX THIS request.

4. Date and Time a picture is taken. Why in gods name is there no way to find out WHEN a picture was taken?? Except the filename, but what about pics I upload from my computer?

5. Move things around. Why can't I move pictures and other stuff to different folders on my phone?

6. Size to send. I want to chose in which size I want to send a photo. Small, Medium, Large, RAW... whatever.

7. Direct upload of photos to social media (Facebook or whatever).

8. Turn the screen off after X minutes but show the lockscreen on my phone after Y minutes. (X=1, Y=10). Would save battery, IMHO.

9. "Per Week" view in Calendar. I really miss this. This was my default on the BB and it is gone! :-(

10. "Create sections" in OneNote. Killer feature!

Yea. Two more, sorry :)
Cheers

DJRedLine

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
7. Direct upload of photos to social media (Facebook or whatever).

? i can already upload photos diretcly from the photo hub. Choose Picture select the 3 dots ... and choose 'share'
I have the option to email, share to Facebook, Twitter, Baconit etc etc

HupigonX

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
Talking about those 8 fixes we need in WP8, I came to think out of few:

1. Ability to clear phone cache totally (like the stuff in "other" section)
2. File explorer, no doubt

And as it's WINDOWS Phone 8, there might be some use for

3. Win 8 -remote (integrated = no 3rd party)
4. VPN
5. Simulated pointer (mouse-like)

If there would be users for this next "improvement" or "addition", why not implementing one?

6. Windows Phone Media Server 8

Point would be to stream your own musics and photos directly to your PC and vice versa, just like you can do with your Xbox. In addition to that, you'd be able to *share* your files directly between other WP's and PC's straight from your phone.

Back to the core of the thread... How about:

7. Integrated PDF- and RSS-readers

But most importantly

8. Cache cleaning & File browser (straight from the top of my list).

HupigonX

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
2. Ringtone Profiles: WP8 has only a quick switch between "Ring+Vibrate" or "Vibrate". WTH... No "Mute". No "Loud". Say: No customizable profiles? Gosh, I could do that with my devices 10yrs ago.

Why don't you just keep your "vibrate" setting off in your SETTINGS -> RINGTONES+SOUNDS and then mute sounds from the volume control? Too many steps?

Personally I don't really care if they use profiles or not, as it's quick enough to turn off that vibrate and ringer from the settings (as it's good way to prepare for your class BEFORE the class or conference or anything).

tboy2000

May 29, 2012
Visit site
Here is my unique list:

1. Auto highlight of text field in app store search box. Worked in WP7 but not in WP8. Before one tap of the text field would highlight the previous search entry so you can overwrite and start typing a new search straight away. Now in WP8 you have to manually highlight the whole word which is tedious.

2. Smaller font for main notification texts in lock screen. Font is bold and too big and if message is too long it gets truncated too much.

3. Folders for videos. We can categorise photos in albums in the photo hub but we cannot categorise albums in the video and music hub.

4. Quicker flipping of live tiles. They take far too long to flip over. If you wait for it to turn to see what is on the other side, you might as well launch the app and read it yourself.

5. Showing scrolling artist in Music live tile when music stopped. Works in 7.8 but not in 8.

6. Ability to drag finger over volume icon to manually adjust volume quickly.

7. Ability to like individual posts in Facebook feed in People Hub.

8. When pressing search key, keyboard should already be up and cursor in search field, ready to search immediately instead of having to tap search field. Why else would you tap search if you didn't want to search for something? The eye and music search icons are still functional with keyboard

gnirkatto

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
1. a non-abysmal calendar (how can an experienced SW company produce something like the current one!?) - readable month view, also displaying the appointments for the highlighted day, week view.
2. notification center
3. independent ringtone/signal/music volumes (or even better: profiles!)
4. allow for apps to be grouped into folders (or similar)

Nothing brand new, but would make me happy.
By the way: I'm disappointed with today's leaks of the next OS updates. I don't care at all about customizing colour schemes. They should rather focus their resources on things like the above.

haikallp

Aug 13, 2011
Visit site
these are what I think are needed in the next update. There are more than 8 though. The ones in bold are the major feature needed.

- Separate volume controls for calls/messages/notifications and media/games/apps
- Notification centre/hub
- Search function in the calendar app
- ability to view downloaded apps/games that is on my device when in the windows phone store..
- and ability to manually check for apps/games updates
- a way to kill apps in the multitasking pane
- ability to create folders on the start screen
- ability to create folders and move photos from one folder to another in the photos hub
- a way to clear caches and temporary files in the 'Others' section of the storage settings
- allow the user the view more information (EXIF) of saved photos (date taken, camera used, file size, resolution etc.)
- wider keyboard in landscape
- swipe to the left anywhere on the keyboard to backspace words like BB10's keyboard. Currently we can only backspace letters by letters.
- burst mode/timer mode in the stock camera app.

there are probably more, but this what I can think of right now.. :)

Last edited:

BikerJG

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
1. Calendar -- The month view is not useable. In it's current form it shouldn't even exist. Make it awesome.
2. Calendar -- Give us a week view.
3. Calendar -- A live tile with more information than the next appointment. The next 3-4 appointments. The ability to assign a certain calendar to a side of the tile so you could get the next X appointments from one calendar on one side and the next X appointments from a seperate calendar on the back. Or a graphical representation of the week on the front/back. i.e. more data and more options of how to use the data.
4. Calendar -- If none of 1,2 or 3 are possible then take out the limitation of the API that only lets other calendars synch 3 months of information from Live Calendars. Trying to use VsysCalendar and it has a month view that is useable, but when you want to look at a month that is more than 3 forward from now it's not populated. Then you have to go back to the stock calendar where the month view is not useable.
5. Notifications via LED or something so I know that I've missed something. i.e. phone calls / texts / etc.
6. Take the password off of Kid's Corner
7. File Manager
8. Fix the calendar stuff already!

haikallp

Aug 13, 2011
Visit site
1. Calendar -- The month view is not useable. In it's current form it shouldn't even exist. Make it awesome.
2. Calendar -- Give us a week view.
3. Calendar -- A live tile with more information than the next appointment. The next 3-4 appointments. The ability to assign a certain calendar to a side of the tile so you could get the next X appointments from one calendar on one side and the next X appointments from a seperate calendar on the back. Or a graphical representation of the week on the front/back. i.e. more data and more options of how to use the data.
4. Calendar -- If none of 1,2 or 3 are possible then take out the limitation of the API that only lets other calendars synch 3 months of information from Live Calendars. Trying to use VsysCalendar and it has a month view that is useable, but when you want to look at a month that is more than 3 forward from now it's not populated. Then you have to go back to the stock calendar where the month view is not useable.
5. Notifications via LED or something so I know that I've missed something. i.e. phone calls / texts / etc.
6. Take the password off of Kid's Corner
7. File Manager
8. Fix the calendar stuff already!

really agree about the kids corner password. its kindda pointless if a password is needed for the kids corner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa