Your turn - 8 things that Microsoft needs to fix in Windows Phone 8 right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Repomies

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
Notification light and availability to set the phone vibrating periodically when there is a missed call or message. In other words: a reminder alert.
An email software that doesn’t mark my emails read without me opening them, and toast notifications for the incoming emails.
Notification center.
Custom profiles, a bedside mode etc. (I rarely fly my aeroplane, most of the time I’m doing something else..)
Straight profile switches from NFC tags and a weekly time table for the profile switches without the tags.
Quicker settings for Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and vibration (By vibration I am truly meaning a real silent mode without the vibration which’s sound wakes me up when I’m sleeping.)
Separate volume levels.
Straight system settings from NFC tags and availability to format tags.
An easier access to download apps from a different region’s marketplace.
AV output from USB port. (Nokia Beta Lab’s DNLA app Play To gets this almost covered, but it’s not enough.)
A straight access from lock screen to missed calls, messages and emails.
Folders

It seems to be more than eight things from me. Sorry.

Last edited:

NicUK

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
I completely agree with the issue of the devices switching themselves off, my Lumia 820 has been replaced one but still does it, I have to pop the back off and put the battery back in (it just falls out). I'm sending it back on Monday but I've already ordered my replacement (Nexus 4). Been a longtime WP fan but I've had enough now. Google has issues I know but at least they deliver on some things.

bdpratt

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
I like the smooth sophistication and people oriented design of the new OS. But as a business user coming from Windows Mobile 6.5, there were highly useful features in WM6 that are now gone in WP8. I want to see these capabilities return:

1) Notification when email arrives in a subfolder
2) Maintain tree hierarchy for email folders instead of treating everything flat
3) Show, adjust, and sync star ratings of music
4) Use camera as a TWAIN source
5) Bluetooth Fax/Modem service
6) Show which phone number used and duration of call in Call Log
7) Multiple volume and alert profiles (indoor, outdoor, meeting, silent, etc)
8) File explorer
9) Central notification center

And these are a few features to add or improve

1) Show more than one appointment on calendar live tile
2) Media streaming from Windows Homegroup when on home network.
3) Be able to shrink header and caption font size. Way too big. To Do list font is enormous. Font size slider only affects body text.
4) Problems related to having a Google Account without a Gmail account

Adretheon

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Kids Corner is where you authorise a session for them, hence the password. Do believe it should be an option though.

I understand this reasoning, but personally don't want people to have to ask me to use my phone. Password to me is ok, but at least make it a different password than my lock screen. I can't tell you how irritating it is to have the(...don't call them terrible names...)...kids...ask me to unlock the Kids corner only to have one of them behind me(or where I don't notice them) and watch me put it in, then go into my phone and mess with all my settings. It would be a nice piece of mind to know that they can not touch my things cause of a password.

oracle9

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
My turn:
1. 'From' field to select different sender ID (email). If you use gmail, you should know why this is important. I have 10 email accounts tied to my Google Apps for business account!

2. Notification on 'sleeping' screen. I don't know how many times the phone battery died and I don't noticed it. Just put a clock or some notification on the sleeping screen ok?
all phones do that. YMF WP8

3. Advanced File Explorer that allow geeks like me to save whatever file I want! Don't hide the files that is not recognized by WP8 and ate up all my phone memory.

4. Support more codecs.

5. Better Volume control!!!!

Anaron

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
  1. Call duration times.
  2. Custom SMS tones for contacts.
  3. Aggregation of multiple missed and outgoing/incoming calls from the same contact.
  4. Screen rotation lock.
  5. The option of exiting an app at the multitasking screen.
  6. The option of putting the phone in silent mode without having to go into settings.
  7. Separate volume controls for the ringer and media (audio/video).
  8. The ability to search through text messages with keywords.
  9. BONUS: More emoji characters.

Hector1van

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
[*]The option of putting the phone in silent mode without having to go into settings.

You can already do this. Togle volume and hit the bell. That toggles between ring and vibrate.

BikerJG

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
Calendar Stuff

So....I'll drop some of my calendar rant. I installed Chronos Calendar and it made life drastically better. For some reason it will sync all of my calendar where VsysCalendar would not. It would still be nice to not have to search for apps to do basic stuff that I expect the phone to do.

Eagerly

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
A decent FB app, I mean they are a share holder.....A decent forum app..Cmon no need for a third party one, MS could build one with their eyes shut oh and

NOTIFICATIONS !!!!!!!

wrighty694

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
Having drawn a respectful dead end on the original request, can i suggest that when we have a useful function within a section (in this case audio extras in settings), the ability to shortcut that would be v useful, as opposed to 'settings, scrolllscrollscrollscroll, into audio'....cant it be shortcutted in the music root?

Anaron

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
[*]The option of putting the phone in silent mode without having to go into settings.

You can already do this. Togle volume and hit the bell. That toggles between ring and vibrate.
As HerronScott said, I meant silent mode (ringer/vibrate off). Other mobile operating systems allow you to easily switch between ringer, vibrate, and silent.

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
We don't need a notification centre!!!!

The whole OS is one giant notification centre. I just don't understand how anyone can miss a call, e-mail etc.. It's on the lockscreen, live tiles... everywhere.

Just learn to use the OS properly. It's all there, but people just don't seem to be able to stop thinking like Android users.

I agree about separate volume control, but that's about it... It's the most modern OS on any phone, and more importantly: uncluttered.
Could never go back to an Android phone... Horrible OS!!!!

nessinhaw

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site

The whole OS is one giant notification centre. I just don't understand how anyone can miss a call, e-mail etc.. It's on the lockscreen, live tiles... everywhere.

Just learn to use the OS properly. It's all there, but people just don't seem to be able to stop thinking like Android users.

I agree about separate volume control, but that's about it... It's the most modern OS on any phone, and more importantly: uncluttered.

i TOTALLY agree with this! the notification idea all the pplz posting in this thread has is Android-like!
i actually didn't miss it (i'm a former Android user) because the live tiles inform me of everything: new e-mails, new calls, new messages, new articles in my news app and so on...the fact is notifications works in a different way and i don't want them to be Android-like!
there's a difference between not knowing how to completely take advantage of your OS and the OS missing the feature at all!
and if you know how to set up your lockscreen, you can see notifications from there too!

i think the main problem is pplz not adapting to the different notification system WP has...i just think it could be improved with notification sounds/leds and that's all!!

dainla

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

I think people who want the notifications don't care about clutter. To me, it's a big deal.

lipper2000

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Someone needs to address the issue of WP8 devices switching themselves off in the middle of the night and needing a soft reboot to get them going again 

Never had the issue but I read there might be a problem with the 620 turning itself off...something to do with the back case...

I have a 920

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jallymonz