Would anyone here dump their WP8 device for a true Windows 8 phone?

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Yes. Not sure what the problem is here. The OS would be win8 not the interface. MS could write W8 to look exactly like WP8 if they wanted. Just disable the desktop side functions in W8P when mobile. Then create desktop cradles or tablet cradles, a la: Padphone, that open the full OS for use on larger format screens. Not resolution. Surface and windows phone already have the same resolution. Docking your W8P unlocks the CPU/GPU into high power mode to give more horsepower. When undocked it deactivates cores and lowers clocks to use less power.

That, combined with Nokia's camera tech... (PureView Mk 4 anyone?) and that would be perfect. Could someone also perhaps get MS to license BBM from BB? Then we can also get BlackBerry. Perhaps an MS/BB partnership? Maybe then also get BB to make WP? etc. The possibilities are endless.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Yes. Not sure what the problem is here. The OS would be win8 not the interface. MS could write W8 to look exactly like WP8 if they wanted. Just disable the desktop side functions in W8P when mobile. Then create desktop cradles or tablet cradles, a la: Padphone, that open the full OS for use on larger format screens. Not resolution. Surface and windows phone already have the same resolution. Docking your W8P unlocks the CPU/GPU into high power mode to give more horsepower. When undocked it deactivates cores and lowers clocks to use less power.
So, instead of having 1.5GB free on our 4GB phones, we'll have 1.5GB free on our 32GB phones?

No thanks. Full Windows does not belong on a phone.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
That, combined with Nokia's camera tech... (PureView Mk 4 anyone?) and that would be perfect. Could someone also perhaps get MS to license BBM from BB? Then we can also get BlackBerry. Perhaps an MS/BB partnership? Maybe then also get BB to make WP? etc. The possibilities are endless.

Wait, what??!!!??? Are you being serious?

Why would anyone want BB anywhere near Windows or Windows Phone devices? Eeek. :(

Long term, I can maaaaaaybe see MS merging Windows. But that is loong term. Like 6-10 years from now, not 1 or 2.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Wait, what??!!!??? Are you being serious?

Why would anyone want BB anywhere near Windows or Windows Phone devices? Eeek. :(

Because I like BBM. So yes, I was being serious. And no, BBM alone is not enough to convert me to BB10. Maybe as a secondary device I would choose a BB10, but for now I'm sticking to a single device, which is the Nokia Lumia 920.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Because I like BBM. So yes, I was being serious. And no, BBM alone is not enough to convert me to BB10. Maybe as a secondary device I would choose a BB10, but for now I'm sticking to a single device, which is the Nokia Lumia 920.

I'm pretty sure anything BBM has to offer, MS has or will have with Skype and other services. They've already announced anything to do with messaging will merge into Skype.

BBM is really only meant for BB inter-device communication anyways. If you have all non BB devices, what good does it do?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty sure anything BBM has to offer, MS has or will have with Skype and other services. They've already announced anything to do with messaging will merge into Skype.

BBM is really only meant for BB inter-device communication anyways. If you have all non BB devices, what good does it do?
I liked BBM several years ago when I knew a lot of BlackBerry users. It would be useless now, since hardly anyone I know has a BlackBerry, and few people I know have the slightest interest in BlackBerry.

JoshNay

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
I like both operating systems, but I don't think Windows 8 is really fit for a mobile phone yet. Yeah, I know the HTC HD2 proved that it can work, but it's not a matter of can or can't; it's more a matter of it should or shouldn't and it's just simply not ready for mobile devices. Or mobile devices aren't ready for it. Either way.

DalekSnare

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
No, Windows 8 is definitely for larger screens. I wouldn't want WP on a tablet or Win 8 on a phone. I would like Windows 8 on a Kindle Fire size device though.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site

My problem is, a LOT of my friends have BB devices. They won't get Skype et al either, and they won't respond on Facebook (yet they did when I had them on BBM). But I can't afford to go to BB. I'm already in enough trouble for shelling out on a Nokia Lumia 920. Maybe once I have a job (I used my Christmas money on the Nokia), I can get a BB10 device... The Nokia has a good 18 months to go out of it. And it is an awesome phone.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
My problem is, a LOT of my friends have BB devices. They won't get Skype et al either, and they won't respond on Facebook (yet they did when I had them on BBM). But I can't afford to go to BB. I'm already in enough trouble for shelling out on a Nokia Lumia 920. Maybe once I have a job (I used my Christmas money on the Nokia), I can get a BB10 device... The Nokia has a good 18 months to go out of it. And it is an awesome phone.

So your friends ONLY use a very proprietary messaging system that works on a limited set of devices and refuse to use Facebook chat, Whatsapp, Skype, or any other cross platform app?

Sounds like they have issues, lol.

Cosmin Reti

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I don't see why developers of that apps you like on Windows 8 pro will not come WP8 wich share the same kernel. They don't want to reprogram for ARM platform, ok, probably in the nesxt month will see an X86 Atom phone with Windows 8. Microsoft and Intel are very close together, Wintel, and for sure Lenovo, Dell, Hp will like to try a business phone X86 full Windows Phone 8. Windows 8 pro will kill any phone only with the network services that run in the full OS wich are unnecessary for the phone OS. WP8 doesn't have Users, can't acces shares only if u have a sharepoint server etc.. it is very limited because otherwise will be killed by the OS. Maybe after Haswell will have a Core i7 quad at 2 Ghz consuming 2 watt :)

adandreamohr

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
Of course I would, once it's powerful enough that I can replace my notebook with it. I have no doubt that's where we're going, Motorola made it's first attempt with Atrix and it's keyboard/screen/dock. Only flaw was it still used android (which I'm a fan of) due to its having an ARM processor, while we still can't (won't) get rid of a full featured Intel running PC.
One could still assume that everything will be on the cluod and that using different SOs on different devices will be seamless, but we are a long shot from that being 100% usable (including media, compex Office files, our favorite games, etc). We are undoubtedly closer to having an Intel Phone being our PCs processor and storage and having a seamless experience with all of our data and just different screen sizes.

That's my humble opinion but I'm certain it's where we are going.

Best,
Alejandro

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
I'd instantly give up my Lumia 920 for an Atom Windows 8 phone OR a Windows RT phone. Windows Phone is limited in many ways that Windows 8 and Windows RT are not.

And if it had a Wacom digitizer, then I'd switch even faster.

That being said, many of the apps would need some optimization for portrait mode (including Microsoft-made apps such as the Store app).

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
No thanks.. I already have Win 8 on my phone, it's called WP8.

The idea that full Windows 8 on a phone would give the same file functionality as the desktop version, is laughable.
MS wouldn't allow it. It opens up the possibility for all sorts of security problems.....

Then, we would get the same sort of whining that happens for all the users who are hell bent on turning WP8 into Android.

Notification Centre is a big annoyance to me. We don't need it, we have LIVE TILES!!!!
All the moans associated with missed 'notifications' are down to the application developers, NOT WP8. If a developer writes an application that uses Live Tiles correctly, that's the Notification Centre a lot of users moan about. Sorry to get a bit 'off topic', but I've had my fill of users trying to get rid of, or 'improve' WP8.

It's pretty much flawless IMHO. Releasing a Windows 8 phone is just a duplication of what we already have....

It might be handy if MS releases a full guide to all the 'hidden' functions and ways to do things that current users feel are missing... Most of it is already in the OS.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
For a min, I thought how hard it would be to use a full OS on a 4" display but, then I came up with something the might make it better for me...

Can it play Black Ops 2 with a xbox 360 controller ? if so, count me in. Stick of lame mobile games, I want the real thing in my pocket. Just think, Multi player over LTE :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99