Would anyone here dump their WP8 device for a true Windows 8 phone?

tomatoes11

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
http://www.windowscentral.com/intel-looking-windows-phone-engineers-possible-intel-hardware

It says that intel is looking into developing a x86 Windows phone which I guess is possible considering there are Atom based tablets that are pretty mobile running full Windows 8. I am not sure if it is possible to run a phone that doesn't totally over heat yet without a ARM processor but it would definitely be interesting. Battery life would still be a problem as well I believe.

I am not sure how I feel about this because Microsoft separated their phone and tablet/computer OS for a reason.

What exactly was the reasoning behind WP8, Windows RT, and Window 8 pro as three totally different OS anyways? It seemed possible that they could have just had one OS, Windows 8 pro, for phones, tablets, and computers if they waited a little bit.

Thoughts? Would anyone give up their WP8 for a handset running full Windows 8?

Last edited by a moderator:

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
No thanks. As much as I love Windows 8, there's too much that can go wrong with a full fledged PC OS. The only way I would make the switch would be if Intel customized Windows 8 for simplicity and easy usability on a 4-5 inch screen. And if they did that then we're right back at WP8. Though I imagine certain users could find great benefit in smartphone W8.

novaonline

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
If they produce a surface pro mobile? With close the same battery life. **** yes.

I too am puzzled why MS has not made the 3 operating system into one (besides the obvious adjustment for device architecture). I was expecting the devices to be close to 100% insync. Its gets pretty close if you use Skydrive to sync up your important data (view my PowerPoint on WP8 made on a Windows 8 pro but I was expecting way more like for example remote desktop sharing or device sharing (using desktop keyboard via bluetooth between the Ms products)
On WP8 the only app I know that allows to to control a desktop using your phone is PC remote. I thought that would have been more like a feature not an app.

As far as the hardware and low level stuff im pretty sure it has to do with the device architecture. Software however, it seems like Microsoft is now very dependant on other developers.
Sent from my SGH-T899M using Board Express

Last edited:

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Uhh, are you serious? A full blown Windows 8 on a phone? No.

First of all, while they both use tiles, the screen sizes are to drastic to try and mend both use cases into one. Not to mention that Windows 8 is huge (takes up a lot more space).

Also, when you say why have Windows 8, Windows RT, and Windows Phone, you obviously don't know the difference between ARM and x86. Windows RT and Windows Phone are both ARM based OSes, a x86 based OS or Application cannot run on them.

Microsoft did the right thing by making Desktop and Tablet the same UI. In the long run, that's what all "desktops" will be. A tablet you carry around and then dock it into a workstation for larger screens and mouse/keyboard. That's already being done at most enterprises with laptops, and tablets will eventually replace laptops.

th0mas96

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
well, this rumor just says Intel may produce a windows phone, but with an intel processor. there's no plan on phones with normal win 8

tomatoes11

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Uhh, are you serious? A full blown Windows 8 on a phone? No.

First of all, while they both use tiles, the screen sizes are to drastic to try and mend both use cases into one. Not to mention that Windows 8 is huge (takes up a lot more space).

Also, when you say why have Windows 8, Windows RT, and Windows Phone, you obviously don't know the difference between ARM and x86. Windows RT and Windows Phone are both ARM based OSes, a x86 based OS or Application cannot run on them.

Microsoft did the right thing by making Desktop and Tablet the same UI. In the long run, that's what all "desktops" will be. A tablet you carry around and then dock it into a workstation for larger screens and mouse/keyboard. That's already being done at most enterprises with laptops, and tablets will eventually replace laptops.

Um, I know the difference between x86 and ARM architecture. Not hard to get rid of one of the three though. WIndows RT/Windows Phone 8 makes more sense to share rather than Windows RT/Windows 8 since phones use the ARM architecture more often than full PCs.

Bilal_Fakih

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
let us first have a great WP8 then we can talk about windows 8 as a phone! We are already facing issues here, so im not sure windows 8 if possible will be any great! MS has alot and alot of work on WP8..

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Um, I know the difference between x86 and ARM architecture. Not hard to get rid of one of the three though. WIndows RT/Windows Phone 8 makes more sense to share rather than Windows RT/Windows 8 since phones use the ARM architecture more often than full PCs.

Except the screen sizes are sooo different. Apple has taken the route of sharing phone OS and Tablet OS.

Microsoft has taken the opposite for very good reasons that they have talked about numerous times and as I mentioned above the use cases and screen sizes are very different.

Windows 8/RT on a phone doesn't make any sense. The UI is modeled for very different purposes.

Now that doesn't mean they couldn't or shouldn't share some similar elements like they already do. And would certainly makes sense to see some things like picture password added to Windows Phone.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
There are a lot of programs I would love to be able to run on my Windows Phone 8 that simply don't exist for it. With no intentions from the developers to re-write their programs for it, it ends up being my loss. At this point in time, there's pretty much an application that already exists on the PC for anything you would ever want to do with your phone. So, I think it would be a great idea. My answer to the OP is yes, I would dump my WP8 phone in a heartbeat for a phone with full blown Windows on it.

Ya, I bet those apps are designed to work really well on a 4.5" screen.

/sarcasm

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
If it does ever see the light if day it would probably more a phablet than a phone something along the lines of the galaxy note 2, otherwise it will be pointless. Although that does start leading MS down the same self cannibalistic route as Apple. With minimal market share as it is, making other MS devices redundant wouldn't be the best move.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Trillian would work great on a 4.5" screen. So would Filezilla. I'm sure VLC wouldn't have any problems on 4.5 screen either.

But of course, you're familiar with every application ever written for Windows, so you already know none of them would work well on a 4.5 screen. /sarcasm

Overall it would be a better experience for developers and end users. For the developers, they wouldn't need to completely re-write their application for a different platform. They could add mobile resolution support to the existing application. For the end user, they already paid for the application so they don't need to purchase it separately for the phone.

Sometimes it helps to think before you speak.

I use Filezilla all the time and no, its current desktop app is NOT good for a phone. Even if you can qualify 5 apps that currently would be considered mobile friendly for 4.5" screen, that's certainly not worth making the whole OS work on a phone.

Microsoft tried the whole PC in a phone with Windows Mobile. It was a nightmare.

I think you have reallllllllllllly low standards for mobile friendly apps. Design an app for touch, let alone a small screen is very different from desktop. Industry standard notes 40-45px as the minimal contact area for touch points like buttons, text boxes, etc. Most desktop UIs use 25-30px if jot less for buttons, text boxes, links, etc.

I'd rather MS create an OS optimized for a phone and force developers to follow with optimized apps, then try to use some gawky desktop app on a tiny screen with my fat fingers miss clicking 4 out 5 times.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I am not sure how I feel about this because Microsoft separated their phone and tablet/computer OS for a reason.

Thoughts? Would anyone give up their WP8 for a handset running full Windows 8?

You are right. Microsoft had good reasons. Apple is going the same way, for the same reasons, but taking much smaller steps over a longer period of time.

Anyway, Paul is absolutely right. Anybody hoping for desktop software (built to interpret mouse-input) on a 5" touch-input device, just hasn't thought through the implications. It would truly offer the worst user experience in the history of computing.

So far, the ability to run traditional Windows software is the main advantage of using an x86 CPU over ARM. Some here have concluded that would also be the point of building an Intel based WP device. That conclusion is completely wrong.

Intel is going to announce a new mobile SoC at MWC called Merrifield. I have a hunch the 14nm based successor to Merrifield may be the basis for WP9... planned for Q1 2014.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb