Change font in outgoing email?

WillB920

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Is there any way to change the font of outgoing email? The default appears to be the IMHO totally unprofessional looking 11-point Calibri.

Techno-Freak

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
No way to change font on WP as of now.

And Calibri is unprofessional in your opinion??? Seriously? It is the default font on MS Outlook also, which is by far the most widely used "Professional" email client.

I wonder which is the most professional font in your opinion then, may be Comic Sans!

WillB920

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
I shouldn't have used the word "unprofessional". My apologies. I was upset. I had just learned that every mobile email I'd sent for the last month was in 11-point Calibri. I've calmed down now.

I should clarify that in my particular profession, any document or communication not in 12-point Times New Roman is considered fundamentally not serious. Even Arial is enough to raise eyebrows. I recognize that MS decided quite some time ago to make 11-point Calibri its default. I am also very happy that everywhere else in the ecosystem I am able to CHANGE the default font. I had hoped I might be able to do so on WP8 also and am pretty seriously disappointed to learn that I can't.

So, yes, I'm serious. In a world of 12-point Times New Roman, 11-point Calibri is in fact the equivalent of Comic Sans.

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
In a world of 12-point Times New Roman, 11-point Calibri is in fact the equivalent of Comic Sans.

Is this world 2003 perhaps? Seriously dude, why don't you just use MUTT and send everything in Courier? You can't get more professional than equally spaced and generic font.

No, but seriously, Times New Roman is incredibly formal and boring nowadays. I don't see the need for it unless you are a lawyer. Calibri is more than sufficient for the everyday professional.

mumblegrub

May 4, 2013
Visit site
Maybe the people who responded so far are misunderstanding the issue, or maybe they just don't have any help to offer. It's a pretty big deal, and it's a problem for me as well, so if anyone has any ideas, I would really appreciate them, and I'm sure OP would, too.

OP's and my issue is that emails sent from Windows Phone 8 embed 11 point Calibri for the entire email body via HTML style tags. This means that no matter what email client these emails are viewed in, the email body renders in 11 point Calibri, and there doesn't seem to be any way to change this.

Note that the issue is not which fonts are appropriate to use in a given setting. The issue is that emails I send from Windows Phone 8 are always displayed in 11 point Calibri.

This means that if someone is viewing an email sent from my Windows email in Gmail, which uses Arial as its default font, my email sticks out like a sore thumb. These emails even look different in the Outlook Web App because the default font there is not Calibri 11, either. It looks like I've chosen specifically to use Calibri, rather than just plain text, and it also renders quoted text in replies/forwards in Calibri as well.

It's disruptive and calls unwanted attention to the emails sent from my Windows Phone. Further, there's no way for me to send an email from my Windows Phone without everyone knowing I did so. This renders my Windows Phone useless for sending business emails, which is a big negative for a professional wanting to use WP as a primary device.

It seems ridiculous for WP to go out of its way to embed Calibri in the HTML, and it's even more ridiculous not to offer a way to change that. I hope I'm just missing something. Can anyone help?

gerzhwin

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
If someone has the option of individualising it's email client, and your emails are breaking this, I can understand it. In terms of individual CI/CD WP email is lacking.

I'd also like to have formatting options in email like there are in WP Office for example, at least the setting to not overwrite ones client preset.
Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Board Express

mumblegrub

May 4, 2013
Visit site
Yep, that's what's happening. Here's an example of the HTML my Windows Phone is sending. Note the stuff I highlighted.

It's an HTC 8x, by the way.

<html><head>
<meta content="text/html; charset=windows-1252" http-equiv="Content-Type"></head>
<body>
<div>
<div style="FONT-SIZE:11pt;FONT-FAMILY:Calibri,sans-serif">This is a test email.</div></div></body></html>

asdeltawave

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone found a solution to this? I too would like to change the font of outgoing emails so it is not a clear beacon that I am sending emails from my mobile phone.

AtlFinance

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
I think the issue is being overlooked. The issue isn't about which font looks the most professional. The issue is that WP is a high end phone (mine is a 1520) and we should have that option to change font.
I too am a professional and sometimes I get writing assignments to proof read on the go. If I get a word doc from a writer who has copied and pasted within a document there may be several different fonts within the doc. I should have the option to consolidate the font into one of my choosing and send the edited version of the doc from my phone to meet any deadline.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos